Christian Weddings
Options

Intro

Hi there! I've been lurking around this board and few others for about a month, just reading and not posting. FI and I have been engaged for about a month now (when I started lurking) and just made it home this last weekend to tell our families about the engagement.

We're both students and we're getting married sometime this year. We're trying to decide between two dates. We're particular to one date which would inconvienient with school and stuff like that, so we might end up with the other...availabilty of venues is also going to play a role.

I don't know how often I'll be posting here, but probably somewhat frequently. I've enjoyed reading the conversations you ladies have and they seem incredibly genuine. They've been helpful to me so far. So, hi!
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: Intro

• Options
    edited December 2011
    hello and welcome!!! (: 
    My main board used to be August 2011..but when i found this one....i stuck! lol.
    the ladies here are all VERY helpful and encouraging. our Mod is wonderfully involved and it is just great!

congratulations on your recent engagement!!!! (: what days were you thinking for THE date? 
    how long have you and FI been together? 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome Sarah!  Join in on all of the fun.  I'm sure that you will find everyone to be encouraging and friendly.

And thank you lilies.  :-)
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_intro-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2346ecf1-d7db-4d34-8d3b-aae74930dee4Post:5f7521b7-1d38-4e6c-aa93-c0b2c5a2c08f">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]hello and welcome!!! (:  My main board used to be August 2011..but when i found this one....i stuck! lol. the ladies here are all VERY helpful and encouraging. our Mod is wonderfully involved and it is just great! congratulations on your recent engagement!!!! (: what days were you thinking for THE date?  how long have you and FI been together? 
    Posted by amongthelilies25[/QUOTE]

Trying out that quoting thing...don't judge if it looks ridiculous. :)

August 6th and October 1st. For some reason that neither FI nor I understand October just seemed like a good idea. When we shared that idea with the families this weekend, both of our parents thought we were insane for wanting to get married in the middle of a semester with school and everything going on. So we're now considering August 6th. We don't have our hearts dead set on October, but we're kind of dragging our feet on the August date.

We've been together for a little over two years. We had known each other in high school, but weren't super tight friends or anything. We went to the same community college without really knowing it for about a month or so, but once we figured it out we decided dating was a reasonable option. We recently transferred to two different universities that are nearby each other...and that's where we are now!

Sorry, I like to talk...a lot. If you don't like reading long posts, mine will probably be frequently skipped. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am a talker too!!! lol. so talk away...i will read them!! lol

and your quotes were just fine. (;

ya...august 6th is soon...but i am sure you can do it! My wedding date is August 20th. We first set the date for June 25, 2011...but my FI gets out of school (he goes to school in Southern Cali and i live in Northern Cali) in May and we wouldn't have enough time to do our pre-marital counseling. So...we moved the date to July 23, 2011...but then i chose the venue and it wasn't available....so THEENNN we chose August 20th and stuck to it...we though about August 6...but its my FI's birthday. and we agreed that we dont want our anniversary to fall on holidays or to close to holidays (like labor day or independence day)..so that date was out. lol. 

thats a nice long time to be with him.....i am sure everything will work out nicely! (: 

what kind of a wedding are you envisioning?
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paranoid about not having a date set. The first question people have been asking is, "Oh, do you have a date set?" Heh.

As far as what I'm envisoning goes, I don't know exactly. I know I want it to be small, but my definition of small is around 100. I can easily knock it down to 50 in my mind, so the mystery 50 are that I can just eliminate rather easily must not be that important. (;

If it's in August, I want it to be outdoor, and where we're both from an outdoor wedding in October might also be do-able. Might is the key word, though.

FI and I have both grown up going to church our entire lives, but neither of us has a particular desire to get married in a church. Don't know what that's all about.

I've been looking at pictures everyday for almost a week straight and I decided I liked the rustic look. But I'm also a big fan of the traditional look. Who knows what will come out when FI and I start talking about colors and whatnot. We both had exams this week and so we agreed no wedding talk until Saturday.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha...its good to not stress during exam time. lol

we didnt have a date set for like a month either! lol. we just said "well..this summer". in the beginning i was stressing about all the details...but then i just had to breathe and know it will come together in the end. the checklist here on theknot helped me get an IDEA of all the decisions that need to be made....but honestly, it was to much to soon...and it stressed me out all over again! 

i picked up a little book at Barnes and Noble...its called 'The Bride's Instruction Manual - how to survive and possibly even enhoy the biggest day of your life' by Carrie Denny. its a cute little book that fits in my purse. It tells you to relax..and take each decision and detail one at a time...cuz when you look at it all it is way to much to handle! doing that has helped a lot!!!

My FI actually picked our colors...red, black, and white. i actually didnt want them...i wanted brighter, girlier colors.......but he really liked red, black, and white...so i went with that. 

my advice would be to just get some wedding magazines...google search...ask us...and just get ideas...then the ideas become inspirations..and inspirations become reality..and before you know it..you're a wife. (: 

i always thought we were going to get married at a church..but my church never called me back....so we went with something different...but i know it will be gorgeous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At least you had something to say! Lol. October isn't exactly this summer...and then when I tell people August or October I get a "You mean this year?!" response. Yes, I mean 2011. Do you have an issue with that?

Yeah, I'm ignoring TK's "To Do" list. It says I have 99 tasks "overdue." Hi, I'm a student and I have enough deadlines to work with as it is. I don't need you giving me some of them too.

That book sounds fabulous. I'm going to see if Hastings has it, otherwise it'll have to wait till I head home again.

I noticed your two different counters. What's your story? I've talked about myself enough. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hehe. ya...i have TONS overdue..and most don't even apply to me. (book your honeymoon plane tickets. lol)

ya....6 or 7 months is a long time for ANYTHING else EXCEPT planning a wedding! lol. 
    i got the same response...and then ppl have asked "why the rush?" uh..because i am in love..and i can! lol. dont get discouraged..it will all come together. trust me. (:

One of my counters is for my wedding day (august 20, 2011) and the other is when my wonderful FI will be home. he is currently doing a Leadership School in Southern California (about 8 hours from me near LA) and will be home may 8 (my birthday)! the last time i saw him was Christmas (when he proposed)..and before that it was in August. The school prohibits us from a lot of communication in this season...so yes i am VERY much looking forward to him coming home. i have done a lot of this planning without him here...so it will be nice to have him in the process. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello, and wecome!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! Congrats on the engagement! You will love this board. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay glad you're here!!!

I love the idea of October vs. August -- I'd go with October if it's out of season.  In my area it would be a bit out of season and you'd be eligible for some discounts compared to the in-season prices for typical wedding venues.  

I love that "rustic and traditional" kind of scheme -- that was one of the ones that influenced our reception venue selection (see the sticky at the top where I posted my reception venue pix).  We are having our reception out in the country at this barn-looking steakhouse with a private 2-room suite for our 150 guests.  We also found a barn not too far away that we loved.  The inside can get a traditional vibe with the use of white roses, white tulle, rose petals, white candles, greenery, etc.  PIP below with one of our inspirations.  The rustic part comes from the exposed wood and smell of the barn which is just fantastic, and the more traditional decor helps to keep it looking like a wedding celebration.  

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks, everyone! I'm really glad to be here.

Lilies, TK goes a little overboard with their checklist. But I've seen some people who have found it "reeeeeaally helpful." Yeah, okay, whatever floats your boat.

And yeah, I'm getting a little sick of everyone's opinions. I'm learning (quite quickly) to take them with stride and prayerfully consider where that person is coming from. That has done wonders for my attitude...but I still forget on occasion and want to flip out on some unsuspecting friend who wants to add their two cents. Heh.

I would maybe possibly die if I didn't get to talk to FI. Seeing isn't as big of a deal but not talking? I'd lose it for sure. Makes me think you're strong. :)

Kelly, the pictures are beautiful! That's definitely something like what I've been playing with in my mind. Thank you :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I totally understand getting tired of hearing people's opinions around you for sure!  I just make sure not to talk wedding too much unless its with my mom, and mom knows that I'm working hard to decide what we're planning to do, so she's become VERY understanding of my ideas and not tried to push too much on me.  And for the people who just want to hear about wedding stuff but I don't want to get a lot of feedback... I have a "planning blog" on our wedding website for our friends and family and they can read my thoughts on there.  I don't put everything on there, because I want most of the wedding to still be a surprise for them too!  :-)  I'd post my wedding website here but I am not sure about posting on the interwebz for creepers... we have a lot of personal info and directions for our guests and I wouldn't want some interweb creeper to mess with my plans!!  (ah, internet paranoia...) 

There are a lot of inspirational ladies on here... I admire their patience!  I se my FI about 2 or maybe 3 times a week and that's way more than some of the folks on here!  What a blessing it is to talk with women who have more patience than me!  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_intro-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2346ecf1-d7db-4d34-8d3b-aae74930dee4Post:9a1361f5-7e8a-4a56-9aa1-a09a9e470869">Re: Intro</a>:
    [QUOTE]. <strong>I would maybe possibly die if I didn't get to talk to FI. Seeing isn't as big of a deal but not talking? I'd lose it for sure. Makes me think you're strong. :) </strong>
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>it is VERY hard! hehe. but thank you...i have become a lot stronger in this process..and it has truly strengthened our relationship as well. (: </div><div>
    </div><div>not that i would do this EVER again..and as you can see i am counting down the days..lol. but..it has made me appreciate my amazing FI more and our time together. Nothing can be taken for granted now i think. </div><div>
    </div><div>there are quite a few ladies who did LDR or are in one...its nice to have a little support group. (:

</div>
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

August is TOTALLY doable, if that's the date you set. We planned our wedding in 6 months, it's tight, but not hard. I know two other couples that got married the weekend after us - their engagements were three months and one month long (which would have been too short for me, but they had wonderful weddings too). You just have to remind yourself that TK checklist assumes like a one year planning schedule, and not stress at their dates. 

Good luck with everything!
  • Options
    Hi and welcome to the board!!  You can call me Beth or bridetobe or even b2b - any works.  Typing out BrideToBeBecauseHeLovesMe is a pain lol.

As for people being odd - trust me, I agree!!  I'm young on top of everything so I get the "Why not wait until you're older?" "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" "You're awful young...."

Yes, we're young.  No we aren't going to wait.  Yes we know what we're doing.  And GOD'S on board!!  If you have a problem, take it up with Him.  :P

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Beth and Dancer! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    beth-  i love it!!!!! (: