Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: Music

I've got about an hour before my exam and I think I need to stop studying for it...so, now I'm curious.

What music do you ladies listen to? All Christian or do you listen to "secular" (I hate that word, but I can't come up with a better one) music as well? Favorite bands or artists? Do you seek out new stuff or just listen to the top hits that come on the radio?

For me, I listen to both, but definately more Christian music. I like the stuff that is played on KLove, but I also love finding new indie Christian bands.

Two that a friend introduced me to this week:
Sleeping at Last - http://www.sleepingatlast.com/
Bellarive - http://www.bellarive.com/
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: NWR: Music

• Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the morning on the way to work I listen to a country station because I really like the morning DJ and the people who work with her.  Otherwise I listen mostly to Christian music although you would find a lot of 70s and 80s music on my iPod.  I don't even know who would be on a pop/rock station these days.  I couldn't pick out a Lady Gaga song or any other "it" artist now if you played me one of their songs.  (In fact, if she walked by me, I probably wouldn't recognize her.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha joesgirl, that is soo funny! i love it!!

i listen to a lot of Air1 but also some popular non-christian songs. i like stuff like Colbie Caillat, Adele, Jason Mraz.... softer type stuff. i like pretty much anything acoustic. hehe. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm really into country music as well - WQDR in my area (94.7).  Love the DJ's in the morning and the music.  This morning for some reason they were playing a bunch of break up songs and also Taylor Swift's "Mean" and I had to change it, too much negativity, but normally they're pretty good.  

I also love listening to KLOVE (106.7 in my area, www.kLove.com if you want to find a station in your area).  Contemporary / Pop style Christian music.  Very uplifting and encouraging.  

Sometimes I pop in some oldies like Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Michael Jackson, and the like... I look more for positive songs.  I grew up listening to "music of the 70's 80's and 90's" so sometimes I'll switch over to some Madonna, Cher, TLC, Hootie and the Blowfish... etc.  

I don't get too much into the indie bands, I just don't have the time to worry about much more than the radio station or CD/ ipod song.  

ETA: I also LOVE classical music.  If I can't find anything on I like, I listen to my classical station.  www.theclassicalstation.org if you want to listen online, or they do have some radio stations around if you look for your area... not sure where geographically they are right now.  I'm a prof. musician and music educator, so I pretty much live and breathe classical style music.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really enjoy Top 40 music simply for its beat.  I mostly listen to music in the car and usually have something 'poppy' blasting. 

My favorite artists are Matt Pond PA, Coldplay, Lifehouse,  Jordan Ross, and the Wombats, which could all be considered indie.

DH loves everything 80s.
    Do the creep.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:252ff3ee-8e32-4ddb-82fd-d6cd3d16f5b9Post:e863cb88-1e23-47da-9615-74a0e4bfa571">Re: NWR: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the morning on the way to work I listen to a country station because I really like the morning DJ and the people who work with her.  Otherwise I listen mostly to Christian music although you would find a lot of 70s and 80s music on my iPod.  I don't even know who would be on a pop/rock station these days.  I<strong> couldn't pick out a Lady Gaga song or any other "it" artist now if you played me one of their songs.  (In fact, if she walked by me, I probably wouldn't recognize her.)</strong>
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

But you'd definitely do a double-take; she's crazy!  I'll admit I liked her for a while but she became way way too controversial for me to even enjoy the beat to her dance songs.
    Do the creep.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Country, country, and country.  :)  Sometimes some Judy Garland, Michael Buble, Fred Astaire and things - but mostly country.  And maybe a little rock.  :)

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I also love Pandora's Jars of Clay, Newsboys or Chris Tomlin stations.
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I pretty much listen to whatever my hubby plays, since he's the music guru in our family. But most of what we really like is either Contemporary Christian or Country. Favorite artists are Kutless, Barlow Girls, Sugarland, and Christian Kane right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Pandora is a mish mosh. I have a Chris Rice station because I'm in love with his song Lemonade. Then I have Josh Groban, Michael Buble (because I get Harry Conick Jr and Frank Sinatra with it too), Jason Mraz, I have two Disney Stations with one dedicated to all Alan Meken songs. Then there's Jim Brickman and I have two Showtunes stations. I have a David Crowder Band and Building 429 Station too. Then for Fun I have an oldies station. I get in music moods and Pandora seems fit all my music moods :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Growing up, mom only allowed Christian music to be purchased or listened to.  Dad was a little less strict and would play the Country station in the car, but he would change the station if a...risque...song or song with any curse words in the lyrics came on.  Pop and Rock music was forbidden, so I'm still not familiar with many artists, and they don't like jazz/swing/oldies so we were pretty much raised on Christian and limited country.  I prefer listening to Chrsitian music although I do have a lot of country music on my iPod, but I usually don't listen to country radio stations because I find myself changing the station so many times.  I was also raised on Southern Gospel and love that music still...I'm actually going to a Gaither Homecoming concert on Sunday after church.

As for bands, I love Casting Crowns, Hillsong, Francesca Battistelli, David Crowder, Addison Road, Selah, Liberty University Campus Praise Band (they have 2 live worship albums on iTunes), Sanctus Real, Matthew West, Passion Worship, Bethel Live (**waves at amongthelilies**), Chris Tomlin, and Meredith Andrews (another Liberty grad!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got into Christian music a few years ago. Now, I listen to it most of the time. You all know I love Mercy Me. Also, I like Chris Tomlin, Josh Wilson, the Museum, etc. etc... When it comes to non-Christian music... I used to like all the popular stuff that has a good beat to dance to (I love to dance), but the past couple years, everything on those radio stations is so vulgar/inappropriate! It upsets me so much because they are such seemingly fun songs and then when you listen to the words, they are disgusting. So I don't listen to any of that now. I like a lot of 90's stuff like Third Eye Blind, Lifehouse (and their new stuff too) etc. I also like 80's, oldies, mellow rock like Jack Johnson and Dashboard Confessional and some punk stuff like Fall Out Boy too. I like pretty much all genres, but just can't listen to most new stuff because of all the bad lyrics. So now it's mostly Christian with those other things thrown in. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I listen to a very wide variety of music although it is mostly Christian. Ever since I ran out of free pandora radio time last month I've been listening to Air1 online at work every day. I'll probably listen to Pandora a few times though since the free 40 hours restarts every month. On Pandora I have a Christian mix station that has so many people on it it's kinda ridiculous, a 60's/70's station, disney station, and a show tunes station (Leah, you're not alone!).

As far as bands, my two favorite of the different "kinds" of music are the Beatles and Relient K. I also love Skillet, Third Day, Switchfoot, Mercy Me, Disciple, Casting Crowns, Red, The City Harmonic, etc. I could list bands that I like forever.

Some good Indie Christian bands I've seen are The Dig Project and Slingshot 57. That was quite a few years ago, so I don't know if they're around anymore but the Indie stage on Christian music festivals are some of my favorite memories. I just haven't been able to go in a few years due to other commitments. I miss it a ton!
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:252ff3ee-8e32-4ddb-82fd-d6cd3d16f5b9Post:f3217da0-b7e0-4dd3-a44b-a83f47b6ca55">Re: NWR: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got into Christian music a few years ago. Now, I listen to it most of the time. You all know I love Mercy Me. Also, I like Chris Tomlin, Josh Wilson, the Museum, etc. etc... When it comes to non-Christian music... I used to like all the popular stuff that has a good beat to dance to (I love to dance), but the past couple years, everything on those radio stations is so vulgar/inappropriate! It upsets me so much because they are such seemingly fun songs and then when you listen to the words, they are disgusting. So I don't listen to any of that now. I like a lot of 90's stuff like Third Eye Blind, Lifehouse (and their new stuff too) etc. I also like 80's, oldies, mellow rock like Jack Johnson and Dashboard Confessional and some punk stuff like Fall Out Boy too. I like pretty much all genres, but just can't listen to most new stuff because of all the bad lyrics. So now it's mostly Christian with those other things thrown in. 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

Basically this :) also I love your siggy!
    My FI listens to basically all rap though if he is in charge of the radio so there is still a little bit of a mix. The song that always reminds me of when we started dating is "Get Low" lol
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:252ff3ee-8e32-4ddb-82fd-d6cd3d16f5b9Post:4768766c-261c-4592-8000-1d5368c7dea7">Re: NWR: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some good Indie Christian bands I've seen are The Dig Project and Slingshot 57. That was quite a few years ago, so I don't know if they're around anymore but the Indie stage on Christian music festivals are some of my favorite memories. I just haven't been able to go in a few years due to other commitments. I miss it a ton!
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Love indie bands. It's kind of a problem when they don't stick around because I love them too much. =/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    All of you who mentioned Pandora, do you listen to any other internet radio stations? Or just Pandora?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my favorite things to do is listen to Hillsong United Radio on Last.fm lots of contemporary Christian music!
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My local Christian Radio station Z88.3 has internet radio and I listen to that to also save my 40hours of Pandora radio.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:252ff3ee-8e32-4ddb-82fd-d6cd3d16f5b9Post:34782e64-3f98-4f76-8247-25251bd0a9a4">Re: NWR: Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Music : Basically this :) also I love your siggy! My FI listens to basically all rap though if he is in charge of the radio so there is still a little bit of a mix. The song that always reminds me of when we started dating is <strong>"Get Low"</strong> lol
    Posted by kitkat610[/QUOTE]

"Get Low" is stuck in my head now.  That's ok, I had the drinking song from La Traviata stuck in my head this morning.  I love opera and classical music.  On the radio I listen to current (1980s-present) too.  I'll listen to almost anything besides country. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks kitkat!! And that's awesome that we are into the same kind of music.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards