Christian Weddings

Spin-Off: The Hunger Games

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/movies/reviews/2012/hungergames.html?allcomments=true

I read this review of The Hunger Games written by someone at Christianity Today, and I was really struck by the comments written below the article. You can see them at in the link above. The comments seem evenly split between those who appear to condemn people who read the books and the movies as people who are glorifying the brutal deaths of children, and those who respond and say that there is tons of violence in the Bible, specifically the Old Testament. I think at least once a commenter calls out other commenters for judging something that they have neither read nor seen. 

I think the CT reviewer is right in saying that it certainly is a dark film but it captures the tone of the book very well. (I can't comment on this, because I'm seeing the movie tomorrow.) He also says to take the PG-13 rating seriously.

I was interested in hearing from you who have read the books or seen the movie how comments like those on this movie review affect you.

Re: Spin-Off: The Hunger Games

• I've had discussions with my FI about the harry potter books and it's a somewhat similar type of thing about how people view them / think they are good/bad etc..

For some reason I can do harry potter / twilight .... I know they are fantasy ...i keep it as fantasy etc ... My FI dosnt like them at all ...

now for this hunger stuff.. to be honest I didnt read the books... I read the back cover and I really was kinda taken aback that people would want to read about it ... I dont wanna judge anyone period for any reason ...but honestly I dont do post apocolyptic type stuff it just is NOT my cup of tea...And the fact that it's kids just seems worse in my mind ... But if you enjoyed it ...then it's your choice... just like I like harry potter and that's my choice... I wont tell anyone they shouldnt read it or its bad cause it's calling the kettle black since i read harry potter...

dosnt suprise me that it's split down the middle because it seems to be with anything these days etc. of this nature...

Basically if you liked the books and didnt find them wrong ... Then take critisim with a grain of salt kinda thing... Did that make sense ? sorry I sometimes dont type too well ..

Love is All You Need
  • edited March 2012
    It's not about the apocolypse.  I've read the whole trilogy 4 times.  It's actually about tyranny in government and the cruelty of war.

As long as they don't bash Christianity, God, or Jesus, I don't see anything wrong with it.  I personally LOVE the Hunger Games books and can't wait to see the movie!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • I agree with sessions, except I've only read the trilogy once. :) I prefer to make my own decisions about what's appropriate reading/viewing for myself.  I really don't care if some people don't approve of HP, HG, or whatever.

If I had kids (teenagers, not younger than that!), I'd be fine with them reading the books.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've read them and loved them. I work with middle school students and I'm not 100% sure they're age appropriate-- but with some guidance they should be fine. I would have prefered less violence, just because of the target market, but I didn't really have that big of a problem with it. 

PostCeremony-131.1
  • I've read/watched the Twilight Saga, seen all the Harry Potter movies, and read the Hunger Games Trilogy. I don't have a problem with any of them and if I had children I would allow them to read/watch them. There is violence in HG (well all of them really) but nothing a mature person can't handle. Would I let a 5yr old see it? No. 13+? Yes.

I feel that as long as it doesn't bash God or have strong language/sex/anything like that, then I'm ok with it.

I know that vampires, witches and all of that sort are fake. As long as a person knows its fake and doesn't actually believe in it, then I think it's ok. I mean, when you were younger you probably saw Cinderella, right? That has magic in it, but even as a child you knew that animals couldn't talk and pumpkins can't be turned into carriages.

Sorry, I think I got a little of topic there...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    We saw HG last night.  H read the books because so many of the kids in his youth group were reading them and he wanted to know what they were about.  He's said that he would not be comfortable with our kids reading them before they're 16, and after seeing the movie, I agree.  It was disturbing to see so many younger kids at the theater.

We both love HP.  I never got into the books, but I enjoy the movies.  H loves both.  We haven't completely decided what we're going to do about our kids reading the books, because we're not comfortable with the idea of our 11 year old reading all 7 books in one summer or something.  We feel the same about the movies.  They both kind of "grew up" with us and were released when we were the target ages, and of the appropriate maturity to handle the content of the stories.  
  • I know it's not about the apocolypse but it is POST apocolypse...That's what I dont like.
    Love is All You Need
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_spin-off-the-hunger-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2fbae670-2e2e-4540-a894-46e8baf0f99dPost:5c6752d7-8231-4c3b-84a1-9844dd04efd7">Re: Spin-Off: The Hunger Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it's not about the apocolypse but it is POST apocolypse...That's what I dont like.
    Posted by GunzNRoses213[/QUOTE]

It isn't technically post apocolypse, IMO. The book focuses mainly on the games. lol Don't judge a book by its cover...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not judging ... but I read the paragraph on the back plus numerous online talks about it ... Not into it ... And those all told me it is set in post apocolypse times...It might not come off that way or have it be the focus... It is still set then...
    Love is All You Need
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_spin-off-the-hunger-games?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2fbae670-2e2e-4540-a894-46e8baf0f99dPost:5c6752d7-8231-4c3b-84a1-9844dd04efd7">Re: Spin-Off: The Hunger Games</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know it's not about the apocolypse but it is POST apocolypse...That's what I dont like.
    Posted by GunzNRoses213[/QUOTE]

<div>I wouldn't even say it's post-apocalyptic, it's the story of the fictional goverment/power structure that came to be after the downfall of America/North America. There's a big, big difference. You want something that is apocalyptic, read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. That is far more devastating and dreary than "The Hunger Games."</div><div>
    </div><div>I just got back from seeing the movie. I think as far as letting my hypothetical children read the books, I am not sure I would let them read it before they were 11 or 12, but it would depend on their maturity. I can say that I have never had a nightmare from something I've read in a book. Same with the movie, it is rated PG-13, and I think most 12- or 13-year-olds should be able to discern that this is fantasy and fiction and, ultimately, while parts of the movie were kind of disturbing, it really wasn't all <em><u>THAT</u></em> bad. </div><div>
    </div><div>I was talking about this with DH, and he said something really great regarding the kid-on-kid violence that everyone is decrying; he said, "This is not a dystopian future, it's not real life; this is fiction and fantasy and most people know the difference."</div><div>
    </div><div>Then again, when I was in eighth grade, half of my grade saw the movie "Schindler's List" as part of a grade-wide unit on the Holocaust.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Just got back from seeing the movie (decided to do something fun for once!)  I didn't read the books, but it seemed to have a strong anti-violence message despite it all.  It definitely emphasized humanity over brutality.  I wouldn't mind a teenager reading it.  If it's younger than that, I'm not sure a kid would understand those subtler messages.... but who knows, I'm not close enough with young kids to know what they get.  I just know 10-year-old me would might have been confused. 
  • When I was a kid and Harry Potter first came out, my parents decided to buy the first book on tape and listen to it as a family on a trip.  I clearly remember having discussions with my parents and siblings about good vs. evil and the difference between fantasy (as in HP) and real witchcraft. 

I read the Hunger Games trilogy, and just saw the movie.  With both of them, I felt the deep need to discuss the content with someone.  The Hunger Games is very disturbing to me, not the violence per say but the deeper theme of how far humanity can stray and not realize it.  I think they are excellent books, and would approve of my kids reading them at say 13 or so (depending on their maturity), but I would also make a point to discuss it with them. 
  • I've read the first book and want to read the other two. I thought it was fantastic and am eager to continue the trilogy. Here's a blog I read about it from a mom who is a former missionary:

http://allthingshendrick.blogspot.com/2012/03/movie-reviewhope-and-hunger-games.html

I love her take on it, and especially her son's insights.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards