Christian Weddings

Bible question - demons

DH and I went to dinner with two of his (Christian) coworkers last night.  DH told us about working with a doctor who has a book about differentiating between a psychotic episode and demomic possession.  Among the four of us, there were 3 different demoninations represented, and we all had different thoughts.  DH believes that demons can possess people, one of the girls believes that demons exist but can't possess people, I believe that demons cannot possess Christians because of our Redemption through Christ, and the other girl wasn't sure and texted her BF because he is better at remembering what is where in the Bible.  The BF responded that demons exist - they're in the NT.  He texted, so we didn't get more of an explanation.

SO, I know Jesus cast out the Legion in the Gospel of Mark, and I think in Luke (maybe John?) there's another passage about him casting out demons.  Are demons ever mentioned in the OT?  I would think they would be since they were obviously a problem for people in the NT, but I do not know of any mention of them in the OT. Are we all saved from demons because of Christ? Just Christians?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Bible question - demons

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad is a pastor and has studied the scriptures a lot.  He said that he could think of situations where characters in the OT dabbled in that world but cannot recall an example of someone who was possessed by a demon. 

He and I both agree with you that we believe that a Christian could not be possessed because in order to become possessed, one would not pledge their allegiance to Satan.  So as long as the Christian was living the Christian life and focused on God, they would not be possessed.

I do believe in demon possession.  I can remember a situation where I was doing street evangelism in London and a man came by a couple of times and said really strange stuff to us basically renouncing Christ and what we were doing.  He was either mentally ill or demon possessed.  I did not engage in conversation long enough with him to have an informed opinion.
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely believe in demon possession of those who are not saved.  I have had very close friends who have been on mission trips to Carribean Islands and witnessed some very satanic occurances.  Not saying it doesn't occur in the US, but Satan and his demons will gladly go where they are invited (voodoo, etc).

I also believe in eternal security (once saved, always saved).  Demons will mess with anyone, especially Christians, no matter where they are in their faith walk, but they CANNOT occupy the same soul as the Holy Spirit.  
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Lisa and Emily!  I usually think of being saved in terms of eternal salvation and often forget about what Jesus is doing for us right-this-second.  I mean, wow, Satan's demons are constantly going after people, but our souls are saved now and forever just by accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior.  Isn't it an awesome gift God has given us?

I would have been scared to be in your shoes, Lisa!  I'm kind of fascinated by voodoo (the history and anthropology of it, not practicing it!), but at the same time I don't want to research it because I fear that the Devil may see it as an opportunity to mess with me.  I think I'll stick with reading historical fiction. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Bett2012Bett2012 member
    edited December 2011
    I think that researching demons is ok.. I've read a few books on heaven and hell that discuss demons. As long as it doesn't become an obsession or "strong interest" i guess, I think informing ourselves is ok and maybe even good.  the Bible does tell us to guard our hearts, so if someone thinks that even researching a bit will cause them to be too fascinated, then it would be wise to avoid researching the topic, I think.

I agree with PPs, demons can definitely attack us externally, but we are so protected internally by the Holy Spirit that there is no way we would ever be possessed by demons. I do believe that non-Christians can be possessed though.

Interesting discussion!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Lisa. I will say that although I don't belive deamons can posess Christians, they can significantly mess with you, especially in certain strongholds. In some cases people have a stronghold was so significant that it resembled posession.

It happens so often in the US, it just isn't as in your face as more spiritual cultures.

I think a desire to remain in the dark about this is something Satan would strongly desire. The less we know the more power he has. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • edited December 2011
    i think there is demonic activity in our world without a doubt, can demons posses someone, i think yes, but as somoene mentioned i dont think it happens much, especially in our culture, as there are far more productive was to 'cause us to stumble', as the warrier, although defeted is not stupid, and realizes that most of north american society would not pay much attention to it and would 'logic-fy' it away (he had a bad upbringing, hes got mental health issues etc) and it wouldnt serve his purposes to try and trip up christians (in western cultures). Having said that i also beleive that mental illnesses are not demon possession, but are bioligical (most of them even traceable) factors in the nueral pathways and transmittors in the brain and that most people with mental illnesses are stigmatized in a way that is very disrespectful and does not help them to recouvery or rehabilitated back into society. I don't think God wants use looking at everyone with a psychotic disorder as someone who might have a spiritual issue save that needing the love of christ and needing us to exemplefy that love to them in meaningful and supportive ways.  (PS. if you have questions about mental illnesses or people living with mental illnesses i worked for a while in a rehabilitative housing program for the mentally ill so ask away....but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not assume they are demon possessed people!)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    My dad found these and sent them to me today:

Deuteronomy 32:16-17 {speaking about rebellious Israelites} "They made him jealous with their foreign gods and angered him with their detestable idols.  They sacrificed to demons, which are not God-- gods they had not known, gods that recently appeared, gods your fathers did not fear."

Psalm 106:34-37   "They did not destroy the peoples as the LORD had commanded them,
    but they mingled with the nations and adopted their customs.  They worshiped their idols, which became a snare to them.  They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to demons."
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_bible-question-demons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:31a3d608-9e18-418c-8334-23961c313534Post:344e2f6d-a4e3-4d25-a075-7702c5a4a512">Re: Bible question - demons</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think there is demonic activity in our world without a doubt, can demons posses someone, i think yes, but as somoene mentioned <strong>i dont think it happens much</strong>, especially in our culture, as there are far more productive was to 'cause us to stumble', as the warrier, although defeted is not stupid, and realizes that most of north american society would not pay much attention to it and would 'logic-fy' it away (he had a bad upbringing, hes got mental health issues etc) and it wouldnt serve his purposes to try and trip up christians (in western cultures). Having said that i also beleive that mental illnesses are not demon possession, but are bioligical (most of them even traceable) factors in the nueral pathways and transmittors in the brain and that most people with mental illnesses are stigmatized in a way that is very disrespectful and does not help them to recouvery or rehabilitated back into society. I don't think God wants use looking at everyone with a psychotic disorder as someone who might have a spiritual issue save that needing the love of christ and needing us to exemplefy that love to them in meaningful and supportive ways.  (PS. if you have questions about mental illnesses or people living with mental illnesses i worked for a while in a rehabilitative housing program for the mentally ill so ask away....but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not assume they are demon possessed people!)
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's more prevelant than we think. Our culture isn't as heavy into overt spiritual practices, but I don't think it happens less here, it's just not as apparent as other cultures. </div><div>
    </div><div>You are totally correct that psychological disorders are not at all associated wtih demonic posession. I don't think they look anything alike unless someone is actually helping the person be free of the opression if that makes sense. They lay low until somone starts poking around. </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • RadDaniCRadDaniC member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_bible-question-demons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:31a3d608-9e18-418c-8334-23961c313534Post:a1d7b3f5-bc6e-446d-b014-573ed5de4cb0">Re: Bible question - demons</a>:
    [QUOTE]I absolutely believe in demon possession of those who are not saved.  I have had very close friends who have been on mission trips to Carribean Islands and witnessed some very satanic occurances.  Not saying it doesn't occur in the US, but Satan and his demons will gladly go where they are invited (voodoo, etc). I also believe in eternal security (once saved, always saved).  Demons will mess with anyone, especially Christians, no matter where they are in their faith walk, but they CANNOT occupy the same soul as the Holy Spirit.  
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

this, exactly. (minus the friend in the carribean lol)
  • I would advise you to go to John MacArthur's website "Grace To You" & then use the search box to search for "demons." He has a wonderful collection of theologically sound & biblically supported sermons & lessons regarding demons, possession, & the like.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards