Christian Weddings
Options

Guest Number/Catering Question

Wow, it;s been a long time since I've been on here. I hate being so busy :( Well, I have 2 questions for all of you:

1) I need to know how I count up children as part of the total guests needing food for the weding. I know that 2 children under 10 count as 1 adult but at what age would you add kids as part of the kids under 10. Let me rephrase...obviously a 2 month old baby doesn't need to be counted at all but at what age would I add a child as part of that "2 for 1"?

2) I need to give the seating chart to my venue pretty soon. Do I provide a chair for every guest including babies? I know babies won't sit on their own but I figured if they had a carrier it would be nice to put them in a chair next to their mothers (no additional cost for extra chairs). Or do the baby carriers typically go on the floor?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket

Re: Guest Number/Catering Question

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know for sure on the headcount, but I would think anyone under 2 doesn't need their own plate, they'd just eat from Mom or Dad's plate, but at 2-3 my nephews were eating from their own plate instead of one of ours.  So, I'd probably make the cut off either 2 or 3.  That would be a great question to ask your caterer though.

As far as chairs, I think parents would love an extra chair.  If they're bringing the kid they probably have a diaper bag, baby carrier, etc.  The wedding I was at the other day, several people were there with babies and they were pulling over all kinds of extra chairs.  I don't know that I would give the kid one of the eight chairs at the table, but maybe just make extra chairs available for them as needed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second asking your caterer how to count kids. 2 for 1 under 10 seems pretty arbitrary, each caterer may have different guidelines. Also, if this is the caterer's guidelines, it may be an average (i.e. maybe 10 year olds eat more than half an adult portion and 2 year olds eat less), so you might have to include anyone on solid foods.
  • Options
    faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would double check with your caterer to see what they suggest. Personally, I would say that if a child will be eating solid food I would count them, typically 2 and older. Children younger than that will typically eat food off of their parent plates if they do eat solid food.

With the chairs I would say if you have plenty of room at the venue then having chairs for parents to place their babies at would be a really nice gesture. However, I know when it's come to my family weddings, my cousins haven't even brought carriers in for their infants because they figure there's enough people around to hold the baby. Would it be possible to add some extra chairs around the perimeter of the room and people could use them if they wanted to, but they wouldn't clutter up the table if they didn't?
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely ask the caterer about the kids meals. I'd assume that if they are at the age that they would order off the kids menu at a restaurant, they'd be counted. 

As far as the chairs, I think the extra chair for the carrier would be very considerate!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The way our caterer did it was 2 and under was not counted, 3-10 was 1/2 of the adult price (basically the same as yours) and 11 and over was full price.  We only had 2 children under 2 and there were special seats provided for them so we did not include them as a seat at the table.

Your caterer will be likely to be able to answer your questions, but I thought I'd share with you what we did.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you talked to your caterer about this? I think each caterer is different. For us, it was children under 5 were "free" (not included in the head count) and children under 5 counted the same as an adult.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards