Christian Weddings

To hymn or not to hymn?

I come from a "traditional" church background, with organ music and hymns.  My fiance comes from a "contemporary" church background, with a worship band and the same songs you hear on the Christian radio stations.  We've figured out most of the music for our ceremony -- the processional and recessional will be traditional songs played on the organ, and then, during the ceremony, the worship band from his church is going to play/sing the Switchfoot version of "Only Hope."

Now, we are trying to figure out if we should include a hymn that our guests would sing during the ceremony.  My fiance isn't a big fan of hymns because he can't read sheet music and tries so hard to figure out the melody that he can't pay attention to what he is actually singing about.  He is afraid it will be the same way with a lot of our guests.  I can see his point, but then, I sort of feel like it wouldn't be a worship service without a hymn!  What do you guys think?  Any ideas for hymns that are meaningful but simple, maybe with a recognizable tune?  Or do you think we should just not include a hymn?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To hymn or not to hymn?

• edited December 2011
    We are including the Lord's Prayer in our ceremony, but as a vocal solo.  

My opinion is weighted also by the guests I'm inviting -- yes I will have a lot of church-going family and friends there, but will also have several (more than several!!) family and friends who may not be church-goers, or aren't regulars.  The other thing I have to consider is that even amongst church-goers, there are some churches that do the more traditional hymns and some that don't even use those anymore, so there is a wide variety of who will know the music.  So for us, we aren't having a sing-along hymn during our ceremony.  

I guess if you think you can find one that about 1/2 or more will know, you'd be fine.  I'd print the words in the program if you can, or include a little copy of the sheet music if it's from a hymnal.  :-)

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We sing hymns and contemporary songs at my church, but we haven't used a hymnal in about 7 years since we had the projectors installed.

We're doing The Doxology right after the processional, before the, "You may be seated," as a congregational hymn.  I'm sure if you start listening to some songs you both love, you'll find one that will work for your ceremony. 
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a hymn sung - by a friend who sings contemporary music. I personally would find a song that means something to both of you - not just one of you, even if its contemporary... or a hymn.
  • edited December 2011
    "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" is recognizable to most people, I think.
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always gone to contemporary church, so I don't know any hymns.  But you mentioned it wouldn't be a worship service without a hymn...but it's a wedding, not necessarily a Sunday worship service, right?  I guess I've never been to a wedding where hymns were sung, but I think if there is one that is meaningful to you, then sing it.  If you're picking one just to pick one, I probably would skip it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    We're having the Jim Brickman & Ginny Owens version of Amazing Grace performed by friends. I grew up with my father singing all four verses to me and each of my sisters every night at bedtime. When I told FI about that tradition he started calling me when he had trouble sleeping (he's an Iraq vet) and I sing it to him :)

So we're having a hymn because it's incredibly meaningful to us. Weddings in church are definitely a worship service, but they're not the same as Sunday morning worship, so there's no need for them to have all the same elements.
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hymn-not-hymn?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:391fd4c4-fc7d-4e1c-8183-29168929ea9ePost:c7eb1179-e24c-459a-91b1-1296056219ca">Re: To hymn or not to hymn?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>We're having the Jim Brickman & Ginny Owens version of Amazing Grace performed by friends. I grew up with my father singing all four verses to me and each of my sisters every night at bedtime. When I told FI about that tradition he started calling me when he had trouble sleeping (he's an Iraq vet) and I sing it to him :) So we're having a hymn because it's incredibly meaningful to us.</strong> Weddings in church are definitely a worship service, but they're not the same as Sunday morning worship, so there's no need for them to have all the same elements.
    Posted by untherapy[/QUOTE]

Such a great story, and definitely makes sense of why you would incorporate it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • hanson2Bhanson2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input, everyone!  Your ideas helped us in our conversation about this.  We decided that we will probably just skip having a hymn, but if we DO find one we both really like, we will just have a soloist perform it rather than having our guests try to struggle through it.  Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards