Christian Weddings
Options

Wedding Day Advice

So I shared my advice about having the caterer box up some leftovers to take with you back to the hotel.  Lilies was wondering if we have any other advice.  So ladies, how about it.  What is one piece of advice that you can give about the wedding day?

And for those not yet married, what's the best piece of advice that you have received so far?

Re: Wedding Day Advice

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look around when you are walking down the aisle.  See the people, where they are sitting, make eye contact with your friends and family.  The whole thing goes so fast and I still cherish the memory of walking down the aisle and seeing our friends and family there to support us.

Appoint someone to be the go to person for the day of.  Everyone knew that they were supposed to first go to our DOC and if she didn't know, ask my mom.  No one was to come to me with questions except those two women, and only then if they had no idea what the answer was.  There were things that went wrong that I was completely unaware of because they just handled it and it definitely saved my sanity.

Make it very clear when everyone is supposed to be there.  Put it in writing and mail it if you have to.  We somehow managed to miscommunicate with my grandma and step-grandpa about photos and they weren't there pre-ceremony.

Sometime in the week pre-wedding, set aside some time for yourself.  Alone time, preferably, but time with one or two close friends is good too.  No wedding talk, no planning, no working - just relaxing.  Go get a massage, go to a movie or out to dinner, just be normal for a few minutes!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't plan on hiring a videographer, ask a friend who has a videocamera to videotape to tape the ceremony for you.  One thing I had never thought about is that as the bride, you miss the prelude, the mothers walking in, the guys and girls walking in and maybe some other things that will happen before you come into the church.  Having the video will allow you to see all of that and everything else that happens that you might forget since you'll be so excited.  I personally feel that it is not worth the money to hire a videographer but having raw footage from a non-pro is something not to go without.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with DramaGeek about appointing someone to be the go-to person that day and also about being clear on when to be where. I typed up a schedule for all the BM's, GM's, families, etc with very detailed info on when to be wear, what to bring/wear, etc. I am way too organized, but I got this advice from someone who is way MORE organized than me and I'm so glad I did! I like DramaGeek's advice about walking down the aisle, however I never could have done that because I was SO nervous about that walk and I was crying before the ceremony because I was nervous about everyone looking at me, so I just locked eyes with H (then FI) and didn't look away. I do like what she said though, because I really don't know who all was at the ceremony and I won't know totally until I see the video (if they taped the guests). 

My other advice- make sure you talk to everyone! We didn't have a receiving line because of time. That was fine because we thought we'd just talk to everyone at the reception, but there were tables we didn't make it to and it was family that I almost never see and they left early so we never talked to them. I apologized for that in the thank-you notes, but I still feel bad. It wasn't our fault because we kept getting called places (dance floor for this or that, photos outside, etc). 

Also remember- LITTLE THINGS DON'T MATTER! It rained the morning of our wedding (it cleared up before we were done getting ready, so it was all good). When I noticed it raining, I said "it's okay, as long as we're married at the end of the day, that's all that matters." One of my BM's told me later that another BM said she couldn't believe how calm I was when I noticed it was raining and said she would have been freaking out. I think one of the things that helped me was the text I got from a friend that morning that said "Jesus is playing music up there for you today!" (referring to the thunder). It made me smile and I knew He was joining me with H that day, rain or shine. So yea, don't let the little things bother you!

Sorry, that got long. Have fun at your upcoming weddings, ladies! Above all, breathe, look around, take it all in and enjoy the day. It will be the best day of your life. 
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know others keep saying this, but pack food to eat during the day like a power bar or something.  I ended up not focusing on that, and I went pretty hungry and thirsty between 10 AM and dinner which was at 8 PM.  Kind of made me feel sick and weak.  I know this sounds weird, but also pack anti-gas medicine.  The stress gave me that and a bad stomach ache, and I didn't have such medicine (only had anti-acids and Tylenol).  Remember to bring such meds to the dress rehearsal.  I became sick there, too, from the stress.
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice!!

Lisa- I think we should make this a "sticky" thread so it's always up at the top and girls can add to it when they have tips! I think it would really help us Misses!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the other ladies!

I want to re-stress what Lisa mentioned about having a videographer. We are beyond thankful that we had a videographer and LOVE watching our wedding video. The day is such a whirlwind, that you miss so much and being able to watch the video and listen to our ceremony again, hear the speeches at the reception, watch the grand entrances, and everyone dancing and having a great time was so worth it. You get to watch everyone coming down the aisle, hear people's voices, listen to interviews from family and close friends, and replay funny moments throughout the evening. We've watched it several times, and plan to watch it every year on our anniversary and sometimes other times when I'm feeling sentimental.

Also, make sure you eat and drink enough before the wedding starts. I felt really ill while we were taking pictures before the ceremony and ran off into the air conditioning thinking I was about to be sick. Such an awful feeling, plus I held up the ceremony quite a bit until I felt better. My mom ran a cool washcloth on my neck and back, they let my dress out a little since it was laced up too tight, and my wedding coordinator got me peanut butter crackers and gingerale to calm my stomach. My mom and MOH said as I was eating them the color rushed back into my face. I thought I had eaten enough while getting ready with the girls, but apparently not. So, even if you think you've eaten enough, try to eat a little more to make sure you don't feel sick from the heat if it's the summer or from nerves.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The best advice I think I have received so far is this:

1. Have a date with FI that is totally NWR the week of the wedding.
    2. Have a DOC or other VIP handle ALL issues so you don't stress.
    3. Eat and drink plenty of food and water before the ceremony.
    4. Take it all in as you walk down the aisle.
    5. Spend 5 or 10 minutes alone with FI after the ceremony.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually hope it rains on my wedding -- it makes for some wonderful photos -- and is much better than the sun making harsh shadows across everyone's faces!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Take some time to be alone for a few minutes with just your new husband following the wedding.  DH and I ended up driving my dad's Honda Accord just the two of us from the ceremony to the reception (after we left and came back in a Model T immediately following the ceremony).  It was one of the best decisions we made.  It was so nice to have some quiet downtime just to talk and be excited about being married.  It also really allowed me to recharge for a few minutes so I wouldn't be so drained from all the attention/activities.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies! my wedding is saturday so this is helping a lot!

the best advice i have got was from my wedding planner. She appointed someone to do snacks for me, my BP, and my family during photos. She will have LOTS of bottled waters, power bars, fruit (like grapes), and nuts... stuff that is very easy to eat, not messy, but will give you energy.

She said that it doesnt feel like it now... but after the excitement of the ceremony and you're out in the hot sun (i live in Cali... and it gets in the 100s) you and your family and BP will be soo thankful when you have someone who can grab  a water bottle and a handful of nuts to keep you going for the next hour.
     (:

that also helps with the not eating enough problem a lot of the brides have. hehe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards