Christian Weddings
Options

Do you do a daily devotional?

which one do you use?
when do you do it?

My grandmother has always used The Upper Room, and gets it for all her grandkids that want it.  I used to be really good at reading it but now not so much.  I am trying really hard to get back in the routine, but its difficult.

So when do you do your devotional?  I have tried morning and evening and can't seem to keep a routine (school is not helping that part!) but I will prevail!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
Fred Rogers

Re: Do you do a daily devotional?

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I do "My Utmost for His Highest" every morning.  I got a "revised" edition a few years ago...it's pink. Cool

I've started several Women's Devos, but never finish them.

FI and I are also reading Psalms backwards since we got to Day 150 in the wedding countdown.  Today is 109. Smile
    (we' don't read the words backwards...just reading from chapter 150 to chapter 1)  It helps to do something "together" since we're LDR until the wedding.

If I happen to have "extra" time in the morning, I'll read my Bible until it's time to leave.  If I'm doing a more structured devo, I notch out time right after dinner so I'm not rushing to get it done before I fall asleep.  When I took classes on campus and the weather was nice, I'd sit out in the courtyard during a break with everyone else doing their Quite Times then. 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was single I did it before bed, but now that I'm married, it's harder to do that.  Right now I'm not doing a devotional but I'm trying to read through the NT.  When March comes, I'll continue my NT readings and start the devotional that I get through church which is like Our Daily Bread so it has a few verses and then a one page devotional about the scripture.
  • Options
    shaynas2007shaynas2007 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love that idea of a "count down" devos

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I did Devotions for Dating Couples, which was awesome. After we finished that, our church started The Year of the Bible (YOTB), so I have been reading the Bible everyday (by Dec. 31st, we will have read the whole Bible, which I have never done, so I am excited!) After 2011, when the YOTB is over, I will begin another devotional. The best time for me was always in the evening because I am not a morning person and I already get up at 5:30 am for work- any earlier than that would be tough. 
  • Options

I'm not doing a devotional right now.  I have before,  but I don't have any right now.  I've got a few books to read on my list (like Love and Respect and a few others) and if I find one I'll probably end up doing it during lunch.  It seems like that's the only time I'm not crazy busy and can focus.  :)

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the counting backwards idea!  Hopefully I can get my FI on board.  That sounds awesome!

As for FI and I, we are reading the NT this year together over the phone every night before bed.  I have a One Year Bible that I read in 2009, so I just turn to that day's NT reading and tell FI where to go in his "regular" Bible.  By the end of the year we will have read the whole NT together.  And maybe Psalms if I can get him in on it.  ;-)
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the after dinner idea, I may try that.  I tend to let my dinner time be my TV time then back to work, but I think that is the most consistant part of my day right now.

AshNoel- I started the YOTB a few years back, but it got pretty heavy right as school got super intense so I stopped :(  I still have the stuff and plan to restart here in the next few years, once life stabilizes (yay for graduation in MAY!)

BTB- The Upper Room is online for free, or you can get a daily email.  My grandma used to buy it for us in llittle books because she liked the organization and supported it, but right now I am using the free version. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aggie- I know school can be a lot. Congrats on your graduation!! 
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I unfortunately, have not been reading my devotionals daily but I get them online from crossdaily.org and intouch.org I really enjoy Dr. Charles Stanley.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not doing a daily devotional now, but I used to get the ones emailed in -- I can't remember where it was from right now... gotta get back on it! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards