Christian Weddings
Options

Something old... finally!

I've had my something new (dress, underwear, jewelry) and blue (shoes and purse) for awhile, but could not find the old and borrowed things. I asked my mom and grandma and they couldn't think of anything, but finally today my grandma said I could wear her grandmother's wedding ring (I am going to tie it onto my bouquet with ribbon). This would be my great great grandmother. My grandma said that the ring is probably from the 1890's, which is amazing to me! I'm so excited I now have my "old"... Now I just need the borrowed.... Suggestions, please! For some reason, this has been hard for me to find. What are your "borroweds?" 

Re: Something old... finally!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm borrowing a string of pearls from my mother for my necklace!  :)

I also had considered borrowing her veil, but alas, it was too weathered / dirty to use after all of these years (well, it was also the wrong color).  I also looked at taking the headpiece from her veil and attaching my veil to it, but her headpiece was mis-shapen and the wrong color too.

My SIL borrowed her grandmother's earrings, and cousins have borrowed a bracelet.  Just a few ideas for you if you haven't already tried that route!  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I "borrowed" a silver bracelet from my MIL but she said I could have it so I just never gave it back.  :P  I'm so jealous of the ring thing - that's so awesome!!  :)

Could you borrow anything that kellya suggested?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am borrowing my mom's diamond ear rings

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Those are great ideas girls, thanks! I already have all my jewelry and I really love it all, so I don't want to not wear it. I thought about borrowing someone's perfume, but no one can see that and I don't want to smell like my mom or friend that day, I want to smell like me haha. Any more ideas or stories of what you're doing, I'd love to hear them! 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I borrowed a handkerchief from my Grandma which I tucked around my bouquet in case I started to tear up.  It was really special to have something from Grandma to carry so I get why it's so special for you to be able to carry your GG's ring.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw Lisa, that is so cool! Did you have to use it (aka, did you cry during the ceremony?) Maybe I should see if anyone has one, because I think I will definitely cry haha. 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was okay until we came out of the church and then my parents came out and my dad came toward me with tears in his eyes.  He gave me a hug and I started to cry.  I have a few pictures of me wiping my eyes with the handkerchief.

I highly recommend carrying one or some tissues just in case.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_something-old-finally?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:4ad978f2-b2d5-4e6f-b814-b40cdad76b8bPost:29b3102e-c08b-45d8-b937-30589e7d069c">Re: Something old... finally!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I borrowed a handkerchief from my Grandma which I tucked around my bouquet in case I started to tear up.  It was really special to have something from Grandma to carry so I get why it's so special for you to be able to carry your GG's ring.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

This is EXACTLY what I did!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am in the same boat as you. i have my something new - my dress. my something blue - some cute flower hair clips. my something old -  i am wearing my grandma's 40th anniversary ring. but i dont have anything something borrowed. 
    i dont want to wear a lot of jewelry... but i was thinking like a bracelet. idk. something borrowed is hard... cuz there is only so much you can borrow and give back. lol i was thinking of borrowing another clip for my hair or something. i do kinda like the perfume idea. (: or borrow a penny to put in my shoe. (: 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have nay suggestions beyond what everyone else has given you.  My old and borrowed was my great grandmother's engagement ring.  She died the day I was born, an hour or so before I made my way into the world.  We've always said that she died to make room for me, and my grandma always told me that the day I was born was both the best and worst day of her life, and that me being born made it easier for her to handle the loss of her mother.

The day after the wedding my grandma gave me the ring to keep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards