Christian Weddings
Options

Favorite Summer Recipes?

I've been trying not to cook this summer and doing more sandwich or salad type meals.  We've also been getting more to-go foods recently because of my ankle (fractured/sprained - on crutches).  But I'm looking for any suggestions that you all may have.

This weekend I'm going to make a new pasta salad that looks really yummy and if it turns out well, I'll share the recipe.

So what are some of your favorite summer recipes?

Re: Favorite Summer Recipes?

• Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmm pasta salad! 

How about homemade guacamole? 

Strawberry lemonade?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i cant wait to start cooking for my FI!!! (:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't cook yet.  :P  But Clint grills out a lot!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mmmm strawberry lemonade sounds good!

I can't think of any summer recipes, but FI and I made shishkabobs today and they were delicious! That's fun to grill out and eat! 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My favorite is pasta (I use tricolor corkscrew) tossed with olive oil, some salt and pepper, diced shallots, torn fresh basil, chopped tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.  YUM.  If you want exact measurements I'll find my recipe and post it for you.

We do a lot of grilling too.  Turkey burgers are a big favorite - I use ground turkey, chopped onion, and some worcestershire sauce.  My mom puts cheese in hers, too.  Very yummy.

Oh, and Rachel Ray's mini cheeseburger salad is super yummy.  Basically, you make mini burgers (like silver dollar size) with cheese and put them on a salad.  So good!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-summer-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:53449799-1a1c-45c9-a180-02107854c36dPost:e42a939b-16d4-4c60-8c02-6b1f1c6bb2e7">Re: Favorite Summer Recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My favorite is pasta (I use tricolor corkscrew) tossed with olive oil, some salt and pepper, diced shallots, torn fresh basil, chopped tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. </strong> YUM.  If you want exact measurements I'll find my recipe and post it for you. We do a lot of grilling too.  Turkey burgers are a big favorite - I use ground turkey, chopped onion, and some worcestershire sauce.  My mom puts cheese in hers, too.  Very yummy. Oh, and Rachel Ray's mini cheeseburger salad is super yummy.  Basically, you make mini burgers (like silver dollar size) with cheese and put them on a salad.  So good!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

Minus the shallots, I do the exact same thing! I do cherry tomatoes, and sometimes I exchange the mozzarrella for feta and throw some kalamata olives in there too.

I pretty much put avocado on everything. DH makes fun of me because I can't get through the day without putting avocado on SOMETHING. Spices things up a bit - not literally, since they are pretty plain tasting, but man.. I love avocados!!

The quesadilla is a great summer thing to make because there are about 20 variations on it - Sometimes I make a chicken/colby/corn quesadilla and sometimes I do a spinach/mushroom/mozarrella quesadilla... sometimes I throw artichokes in it, etc. Served with a little brown rice and there ya go!
  • Options
    faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been really into a tuna pasta salad recently. It's pasta noodles, I typically use rotini, half a bag of frozen peas thawed, two cans of tuna, mayo, and salt to taste. Then you just refridgerate overnight! It's really simple and always a big hit. I have the exact recipe if you want it.

I also love to make granola, but that's an all the time type thing. It's really good on yogurt though!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love fresh fruit salads. I know, I'm a simple girl, but I LOVE summer because a lot of my favorite fruits are in season!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas ladies!

Faith - my aunt makes that salad and I just love it.  She also puts green olives in it.  YUM!

Joy - have you noticed avocados going up in price?  I used to be able to get them on sale for $1 but the last one I bought was $2.50!!  I'm going to savor every bite!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-summer-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:53449799-1a1c-45c9-a180-02107854c36dPost:3428ec79-557b-4f9a-88d1-bc6d4f38c256">Re: Favorite Summer Recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the ideas ladies! Faith - my aunt makes that salad and I just love it.  She also puts green olives in it.  YUM! Joy - have you noticed avocados going up in price?  I used to be able to get them on sale for $1 but the last one I bought was $2.50!!  I'm going to savor every bite!!
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Yes, I HAVE noticed!!! It's very frustrating />:{ althought sometimes I have found that the california avocado (the one with the light green smooth skin, not the rough skin) is actually a little cheaper and goes a longer way because they are bigger. It has an ever so slightly different taste but I hardly notice the difference!
  • Options
    faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-summer-recipes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:53449799-1a1c-45c9-a180-02107854c36dPost:3428ec79-557b-4f9a-88d1-bc6d4f38c256">Re: Favorite Summer Recipes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the ideas ladies! <strong>Faith - my aunt makes that salad and I just love it.  She also puts green olives in it.  YUM!</strong> Joy - have you noticed avocados going up in price?  I used to be able to get them on sale for $1 but the last one I bought was $2.50!!  I'm going to savor every bite!!
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

That sounds really good! I might have to try it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards