Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: Alright, Who Cooks?

Hi girls!! I'd love to know where you ladies get your recipes. I really only have dessert recipes and I can't eat cake for every meal (although I'd like to!).. ;)

Any websites or blogs in particular? Any family recipe you'd like to share? 

My fiance thanks you-- he is tired of eating frozen chicken breast, haha. Whoops. He's too sweet to say anything but I know he'd like it if we had more of a variety.

Thanks!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: NWR: Alright, Who Cooks?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorite websites are www.Cooks.com, and www.Foodnetwork.com.  Or at least that's what I think the addresses are.  I just type them in my search box and they come up really quickly.  :-)  

I have this AWESOME recipe for Oven-Baked Chicken Parmesan you might like:

4 boneless chicken breast halves (1.25 pounds)
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1 jar (26 to 28 oz) Ragu Old World Style Pasta Sauce
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
    Dip chicken in egg, then bread crumbs, coated well
    Bake in 13x9 dish, uncovered for 20 minutes
    Pour sauce over chicken, then top with cheese
    Bake additional 10 minutes or until checkn is no longer pink
    Serve, if desired, with hot cooked pasta

If you're stuck on the frozen chicken breast thing, this can be a way to still save the $$ by buying them in big bags, but just make sure you thaw them first.  Sometimes I'll pound down the chicken with a rolling pin (cover the chicken in plastic wrap first so you don't get the rolling pin all dirty or splash chicken parts all over the kitchen) so it is the same thickness all the way through -- it will cook more evenly that way.

Last week for dinner, I made herb-crusted butter sauteed Tilapia filets.  Frozen tilapia filets, thawed, coated with a mix of seasonings (Garlic, Basil, Black pepper, salt, anything else you just love, and parmesan), heat up butter in a saute pan, saute both sides of the fish (you'll need non-stick spray in the pan first if you want your fish to remain in tact and not split up.  Serve with alfredo penne pasta and steamed veggies, and you can top it with toasted almonds (easy to heat up on a pan in the toaster oven) or croutons on top.  YUM! 

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kellya-- wow! Thanks! That looks so so good! I'm sure my FI would love the tilapia idea too. THANK YOU!

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the better homes and gardens cookbook.  Great recipes.  My sister also ust bought me a cookbook called "cooking for two" which is nice so you aren't making a recipe with 6 servings that you can't cut in half. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    allrecipes.com

FI's mom swears by it :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    definitely allrecipes.com!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to cook.  I used to be a big foodie.  Now I have gastritis, and I can't eat much anymore.  I bought a cookbook for people who suffer from GERD, and I plan to use that.  Most of the recipes I know I learned from my Greek mom -- they're great, but I always have trouble sharing them because there are no measurements (all by eye).  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use skinnytaste.com and recipegirl.com

The skinnytaste one's are all really healthy and are yummy. I haven't made a recipe from both these sites that wasn't good.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! I appreciate it!

• Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like to use delish.com. Sparkpeople has some good ones if you can wade through the amount of available ones on there.
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thursdaynightdinner.com - great recipes and also crafts. it started out as a blog

I second food network especially if you are looking for a particular recipe.

I dont eat meat anymore, so I do tilapia a lot. You can also buy it frozen for a good price. FI's recent favorite is where you marinate it after it thaws a little bit in lemon juice, lemon pepper and a little garlic (powder are minced works). Then, same cooking as Kelly did for hers but butter instead of spray bc that doesn't work on my pans.

I also make spaghetti sauce a lot. I can figure out a recipe if you want it. I put squash, zuchinni and portobello mushrooms in mine and make a meat sauce for FI
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of my recipes are from my mom and friends :-P

So I'm no help in pointing you towards a website. We also received the Newlyweds Cookbook from Crate & Barrel at my bridal shower and a Crock-Pot Cookbook. We have yet to use the crock-pot, but we should soon since we can have dinner simmering all day while we're at work.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    i love to cook and if I don't already have/know the recipe, I look in one of my many cookbooks or use foodnetwork.com or allrecipes.com for ideas.  I often make modifications for our tastes.  What kind of food do you all like?  Do you have a crock pot?  I love the way meat cooks in a slow cooker and could share some of my favorites (which are so easy that I know off the top of my head).
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do have a crock pot! Share your favorites! We like all kinds of food except for Indian! We like mostly American, Italian, and Mexican. I love Thai food too!

• Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that I sometimes put recipes to dishes I make regularly in my blog. I know there's a post with my sauce recipe and a post with my baked mac and cheese recipe. Both I got from my mom :0)
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ThePioneerWoman.com

I love everything she makes! So does my DH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For any of my crock pot meals, I always spray the crock pot with non-stick cooking spray before putting the meat in.

1.  Mexican Chicken - 1 pound chicken tenders (or chicken breasts sliced into strips) with 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 1 jar salsa and 1 T. taco seasoning.  Cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.  Add 1 cup sour cream.  Cook 30 minutes more.  Stir to shred the chicken.  Serve over rice.

2.  Creamy Chicken - 1 pound chicken breasts in crock pot.  Stir 2 cans of cream soup (cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken or combination) and pour over chicken.  Cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.  Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream.  Cook for 30 minutes more.  Serve over rice.  (I often stir in cooked broccoli at the end.)

3. Italian Pot Roast - 2 1/2 pound boneless beef round roast in crock pot.  Mix 1 medium onion (sliced), 1/4 t. each salt & pepper, 2 (8 oz) cans no salt tomato sauce and 1 pkg. italian salad dressing mix (like Good Seasons).  Pour over beef.  Cook on high 1 hour, reduce to low and cook 7 hours.  Slice beef to serve.  (I usually make mashed potatoes to go with it.)

4.  Pulled Pork - 3-4 pound pork loin in crock pot.  Combine 1 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 T. Worcestershire sauce, 2 T brown sugar, 1 1/2 t. ground mustard and 1/2 t. pepper.  Pour over pork.  Cook on low 10 hours or 4 hours on high and 4 hours on low.  Pull pork and let it sit for 30 minutes in the juices.  Serve on hamburger buns.  (I think this is really good with carrot sticks and applesauce.)

I don't have the pulled pork memorized but it is so good I had to share.  These are all so easy and so good.  I also made beef for enchiladas last weekend and it turned out really good but it is a long recipe so I'll post separately if I can find it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Found it.  This is pretty involved but you can buy the enchilada sauce instead of making it.  That makes it a bit easier.  These are so good.  You will have much more beef than you need for the enchiladas so you can freeze the leftover beef for future meals.

Beef for Enchiladas

4 pounds roast

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon celery salt

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried parsley

1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon

4 fluid ounces beef broth

1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons hot pepper sauce

2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring

1 large onion, chopped

1 jalapeno chile pepper, chopped

Directions

Using a sharp knife, poke several 1 inch deep holes in the roast. Insert the garlic slivers into the holes.

In a small bowl, combine the paprika, celery salt, garlic powder, parsley, ground black pepper, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Mix together well and rub over the meat.

In a separate small bowl, combine the broth, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and liquid smoke and mix well. Place the roast in a slow cooker and pour this mixture over the meat.

Add the onion and jalapeno chile pepper to the slow cooker.

Cook on low setting for 10 hours.

Pull immediately after being removed from the broth.

Enchilada sauce:

Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons self-rising flour

1/4 cup chili powder

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups water

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, and cook until lightly brown, stirring constantly to prevent burning flour.

Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder, and salt into the flour and chili powder until smooth, and continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.

Enchiladas:

6 tortillas

1 cup shredded beef

1 small can green chilies

3/4 cup shredded cheddar

1 1/4 cup enchilada sauce

Mix the beef, green chilies and 1/2 cup cheddar.  Then add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and stir the mixture.   Evenly distribute the beef mixture on the tortillas, roll them and place in the baking dish.  Spoon extra enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes to heat them through.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I subscribe to Food Network magazine...FI is very grateful :) I've always loved cooking so I love getting new ideas from there. I also love to make favorite recipes from when I was a kid so I ask my mom and grandma a lot for family favorites like this cheesy chicken and veggie stuff you pour over baked potatoes (and surprisingly not really unhealthy! Just starchy...), meatballs and spaetzl (a German dish), and grandma's apple dumplings.

allrecipes.com is awesome as many ladies stated earlier...

Taste of Home is awesome too! I love their themed magazine cookbooks (each recipe complete with delectable looking picture) that they always have at the checkout line at the grocery store. I have two of their Halloween/autumn themed ones because I love pumpkin, squash, and hearty fall type food...mmmm getting hungry just thinking of sweet skillet cornbread and pumpkin soup...mmmm!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    Lisa, I just copied and pasted those recipes. Thanks! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lisa- thank you so much! I'm going to make one tonight for FIs birthday celebration! Just got the crock out! Thank you all for the recommendations!

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I use allrecipes.com too.  Which I love.  But I also use~ http://neycookbook.wordpress.com/

The NEY cookbook!  Which is a blog that is a compilation of recipes from our members.

Also if you are new to cooking, go to your local used bookstore and buy some cook books.  I have 3 of them, and I love them.  It is a nice way to keep variety in your cooking.  Also if your mom is a good cook raid her cook books too.  Make things you loved from your childhood, which is my favorite thing to do.

Also I have two cook books for crock pots.  When I am back home I will send you some recipes.  What do you like?  Stew? (I have a yummy stew recipe) 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards