Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: What do you do for a living?

It's awfully quiet recently, ladies! I've been missing you all!

Just a random, rainy day (it's nasty out here!) question: what do you do for a living? Wanna share what your FI/DH does too?

I am currently a student studying to become a teacher. I'll be able to teach social studies but I really want to teach ESOL. 

FI graduated with his BA in Political Science and is currently getting certified to teach. He wants to teach social studies, Latin, or math. Right now he's working at Best Buy. It's not the best job but at least he's got a job!

What about you ladies?

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a full time student getting my BS in Elementary Education. I work as a senior citizen caregiver right now. I really enjoy it.

FI works for a restoration company (clean up after fires, floods, mold, etc.) I don't know his actual position, but it's some kind of management
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm currently a full time student. I have been looking for a job, but haven't been very successful. :( I want to become an elementary school teacher!

FI is currenlty a truck driver (the reason he has been gone for 2 months)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am an athletic trainer for a high school. For those who don't know what that is,I am the first one who evaluates a sports injury, refers to dr's, do rehab, administer first aid, etc. 

FI is a funeral director. He works at the funeral home his dad runs. He has the perfect personality for this and I truly believe he was called into the profession.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yay, future teachers! Soon you'll be able to join the club with me! I am a first grade teacher and I love it! FI is a 6th grade teacher. We met our first year teaching in the district that we are both still teaching in. It's awesome that we are both teachers because we have the summers off together. It will be wonderful once we start having kids of our own! 

We are also both working on our master's degree currently... and slowly (we only take 2 classes a year because then our district will pay for it). 
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ashley-- isn't the one of the best parts of having the same profession as your FI/DH is the same schedule!? We can't wait!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been looking for a job since graduation in May- hoping to get into child welfare so I eventually can work in adoptions.

FI is currently a weekend night shift nurse at the highest paying hospital in town. Unfortunately he needs a job in critcal care (which his hospital does not have) in order to get into grad school. So he'll be getting a pay cut pretty soon.

He tried to talk me into switching my major to nursing... would have been fun to have the same schedule as him!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya.. where has everyone been? (: i miss you girls! 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a BA in theatre and psych and a master's degree in teaching.  I am a middle school theatre teacher.

H has a BS in buiness management.  He's a manager at a grocery store.  It isn't glamorous but it pays the bills.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I just graduated with a BS in K-12 Special Ed and K-5 Elementary Ed with an English Concentration.  Right now I'm a SAHW.  There are no positions open in the town I just moved to...they actually cut 5 teaching positions this year.

DH is a full-time Youth Pastor with a BS in Biblical Studies.
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a BA in History and BS in Anthropology. I was a project manager for a software development company until I moved to Tucson to be with DH. I am starting law school in the fall. Until then, SAHW.

DH is a budget analysts for a defense contractor. He has undergraduate degrees in Math (statistics) and Business and an MBA.

How cool that we have so many teachers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a music teacher!  I've taught 3 years of middle school and high school band (and all of the bells and whistles that go with teaching high school band...) and this year I've been teaching middle school chorus and general music.  I'm interviewing for (hopefully) a band position so I can get back to my first love. 

My FI works as an inventory control auditor with his company - but we met when he was teaching band.  With the cutbacks in teachers in NC, he had a tough time getting back into teaching for 2009-2010 school year, and it's even harder to get a teaching job if you're not currently employed in teaching.  Anyway ... That's us!

Sorry I've been a bit quiet on the boards lately - it's been a JAM-packed week of job interviews, contacting principals, wedding planning (last minute) details, etc.  We're exactly 2 weeks out from the wedding now!  It's hard to believe that in two weeks we'll actually be in the same bed and we will start the "rest" of our lives!!!
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a full time student. Working toward a BS in Agricultural Biotechnology. Agriculture is my first love. FI agrees. I would love, love, love to farm someday, but I also enjoy the science aspect and so I'll (hopefully) be going to grad school. Right now, I'm doing research full time (40 to 50 hours a week). If anyone wants to hear me ramble about my research, I will...but I'll leave it out til someone asks. :)

FI is also a student, majoring in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Computer Science and German. Yeah, you read that right. He'll graduate with four degrees. How he ended up with that is a fun story. Again, I'll leave it out for another time. Right now he has a general engineering internship. During the school year, he tutors for the Navy ROTC program on campus, a math lab, and privately. He loves tutoring so much. I'll be surprised if he ever gives it up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-living?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:585d4ba9-519e-4585-958a-0fc496693ecbPost:7636b7b2-4ec5-4ffa-8e8d-1166b1b48006">Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just graduated with a BS in K-12 Special Ed and K-5 Elementary Ed with an English Concentration.  Right now I'm a SAHW.  There are no positions open in the town I just moved to...<strong>they actually cut 5 teaching positions this year.</strong> DH is a full-time Youth Pastor with a BS in Biblical Studies.
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

<div>You guys must live in a tiny town.  We cut 18 just from my building!  I can't imagine only cutting 5 in the whole town, or even one district.</div>
  • Options
    BronwynHBronwynH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a full time student working on a BA in K-12 ESL and a BA in Bible. I also work at Chic-fil-a.

FI is a full time student too & works at Ihop.

However, we have recently been thinking about going to the mission field next year and not finishing college. We know it's where we're called to and we're so excited to go. We don't want to get stuck here & we really don't need degrees to be missionaries.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a full time report designer.  I work for a mega IT company and build reports to display the data that is taken in through various online applications.  I'm also a full time student, majoring in science for education.  I would love to transition into teaching middle school science.  It would mean a pay cut, but I would love doing it.  

FI is a programmer for a large company that develops software for call centers.  He is the true computer geek of the two of us.  He wouldn't leave his computer geek job for anything.
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Faith- Yes, we love it! It is awesome having the same schedule! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got my BS in Organizational Leadership  --- which is like managment and human relations. I'm trying to get into a grad school to get a Masters in Library Science and trying to get a job at the local library. 

FI's getting his BS in Psychology, Sociology, and Criminology. He would have been finished by now, but he realized he only need 4 more classes and he could get all three - so he's finishing up this summer and hopes to get into grad school to get a phd in psychology. He'd also love to teach martial arts.  He currently works on his family dairy farm 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a full-time paralegal/legal assistant for a law firm specializing in domestic relations (translation - divorce).  There are times I want to leave because people get divorced for no reason whatsoever, but then I think of the people who are abused and suffering and need help.

The FI is a corporate trainer in the world of finance.  He creates curriculum and train employees how to use the software in order to train their clients.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 image Invited guests
    73image Will be celebrating with us!
    81 image Would rather look at our wedding photo album and/or video
    3 image Making me wait

RSVP Date September 18, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a BS in Information Technology with a minor in Business.  I am a Business Systems Analyst in the IT department of a local hospital.  I run processes, create reports/graphs/spreadsheets for decision support, check system statuses, manage user accounts, fix system issues with certain systems, etc.  I go on call on a rotating basis with the other members of the Business Team of the IT department.  I am on call this week, in fact.  Basically, when you're on call you carry a pager so that if any system issues arise that can affect patient care after hours, you get paged to fix it.  Like 98% of the time it can be fixed from home though, so it's not too bad.

FI is currently a full time student pursuing his BA in Business Administration.  He will probably be a student for about our first year of marriage, which is fine with me.  For just the two of us in just an apartment, my salary will just about cover everything (seriously, if we cut out a couple luxuries, we could survive on just my income).  But because we like the idea of NOT living paycheck to paycheck and putting money in savings and all that, FI is also working.  He is delivering pizzas part time after classes.  Surprisingly, he sometimes makes $16+ per hour depending on the tips.  It's just a crazy dangerous job, so we can't wait until we can find him something else.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

For the past couple of years I taught chemistry and algebra at a community college. 

We found out in mid-March that we would be moving, and by the end of the month I'd applied to a doctorate in education program.  I'm taking four classes in the fall.  If I have time, I'll tutor chemistry.

Today is DH's first day as a pediatric intern.  I am SO proud of him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-living?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:585d4ba9-519e-4585-958a-0fc496693ecbPost:a84e1dbc-edf7-47a1-88a5-e93765990c6a">Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I have time, I'll tutor chemistry.
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

FI loves tutoring chemistry!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    I have my B.S. in Business Admin and a MBA.  Right now I'm a Business Analyst for a mutual fund company supporting the division that manages retirement plans.  Prior to becoming a Business Analyst, I managed in that department.

I mainly write requirements for new systems, do investigations of existing programming and test changes that need to be made.  It isn't the most exciting job but I'm thankful to have it.  It has been a great company to work for.

DH works in a warehouse as his main job and does a lot of video jobs on the side.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-living?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:585d4ba9-519e-4585-958a-0fc496693ecbPost:bafb2c12-2603-4b21-8ff1-8a3ddbc2c7f5">Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If anyone wants to hear me ramble about my research, I will...but I'll leave it out til someone asks. :) 
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

<div>Ramble on - I'd like to hear about it.  </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-living?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:585d4ba9-519e-4585-958a-0fc496693ecbPost:5ce95a68-e58f-4248-86af-986cf853f2cd">Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a full time student working on a BA in K-12 ESL and a BA in Bible. I also work at Chic-fil-a. FI is a full time student too & works at Ihop. However, we have recently been thinking about going to the mission field next year and not finishing college. We know it's where we're called to and we're so excited to go. We don't want to get stuck here & we really don't need degrees to be missionaries.
    Posted by BronwynH[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I LOVE Chick-fil-A!!

</div>
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I obtained a B.S. degree in international relations and now work as a policy analyst at a Washington, DC consulting firm.  I research energy and environmental policy.  I'm quitting later this month to attend law school.

DH is a full-time grad student in business school.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a full-time student working towards a degree in elementary education. I am a waitress at an awesome restaurant that anyone that comes to Chattanooga should visit. I will probably keep my waitressing job after I graduate to earn extra money. 

FI is a sales associate at Lowe's. He is pursing a degree in psychology then we are headed to the Lone Star state to Southwestern Baptist so he can pursue his calling to be a youth pastor. I am ready to follow him wherever God calls him. 

btw, we have a ton of teachers on here!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have a BS degree in Math Education and an MA degree in Christian Education. I am currently teaching 8th grade Algebra 1 and a college-success elective program. My BF works full time in an IT department for a credit union, but is also attending school part time to finish his bachelors in IT. My dream job would be to teach math at a Christian University!

Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-living?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:585d4ba9-519e-4585-958a-0fc496693ecbPost:1f5c7d02-298b-4a4f-a8a8-699f77a4b34e">Re: NWR: What do you do for a living?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a music teacher!  I've taught 3 years of middle school and high school band (and all of the bells and whistles that go with teaching high school band...) and this year I've been teaching middle school chorus and general music.  I'm interviewing for (hopefully) a band position so I can get back to my first love.  My FI works as an inventory control auditor with his company - but we met when he was teaching band.  With the cutbacks in teachers in NC, he had a tough time getting back into teaching for 2009-2010 school year, and it's even harder to get a teaching job if you're not currently employed in teaching.  Anyway ... That's us! Sorry I've been a bit quiet on the boards lately - it's been a JAM-packed week of job interviews, contacting principals, wedding planning (last minute) details, etc.  We're exactly 2 weeks out from the wedding now!  It's hard to believe that in two weeks we'll actually be in the same bed and we will start the "rest" of our lives!!!
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]

Yay band teachers!!!! I'm not a band teacher actually, but I am a math teacher and big time band nerd. I've played the clarinet for about 16 years and love it!
    Weight Loss Center - Your Online Weight Loss Support Group
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BS is in Clinical Laboratory Science. I work in a local community hospital in the lab. We test all the patient's blood work, urine samples etc etc.

FI has a BS and a Masters degree in human resources. We actually met at work (but I have since left that company for a new hospital). His job is a general HR associate- hiring, firing, work visas, etc
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work in insurance even though I have a bachelors degree in political science and sociology and DH is an accountant and has his bachelors degree in finance and business management. He's working towards his MBA and his CMA.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards