Christian Weddings

Michael Jackson...

Ok so I don't like the guy. I used to like him when he did the songs for Free Willy but then all that stuff came out and what he was accused of and...I just don't like him. He was talented, I'll give him that, but I just don't know how I could support him, regardless of his current state..., given what he was accused of and most likely did. So I had planned on asking m DJ to just say NO to all Michael Jackson. When I mentioned that to him, including my reasonings, he was like "Really? Because one of the most requested songs is Thriller!" And I thought oooooh yeah...I like Thriller...so now I'm in this conundrum. Do I reject all Michael Jackson based on principal and stick with my moral character, or do I agree to play 1 or 2 of his songs and in so doing completely be hypocritcal to where I stand? Because Thriller is a great song! I guess I'm thinking of this because they're playing the song on TV for Halloween commercials lol.

Re: Michael Jackson...

• katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't like him, don't play him.

However, I'm curious to know if you are going to use the same rule of measure to approve all of the other musical artists you play? Because, really, most people are pretty screwed up.
  • edited December 2011
    I hadn't really thought about that actually. There's probably more to it than all the legal stuff, I guess I was really ticked off when he died and there was so much hoopla going on and Farrah Fawcett, someone who made positive contributions (but I'm sure made mistakes as well), died the same day and no one cared or really even recognized it because MJ died the same day. I also don't like all his music and my ban might have had something to do with that and it being easier to just say none at all because I know people request music. Hm...I guess I still have time to think about this :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_michael-jackson?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:59a47bce-3ae9-44aa-ada9-ef3c2d3b7e26Post:2a8ea7a7-fe0d-4f19-a5ae-fe4a5a8625b4">Re: Michael Jackson...</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you don't like him, don't play him. However, I'm curious to know if you are going to use the same rule of measure to approve all of the other musical artists you play? Because, really, most people are pretty screwed up.
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I'm having difficulty because of this. I have chosen not to play certain songs - regardless of the artist because if the music and lyrics are clean and have a good overall message then it is okay in my book. If you went by artist it would be so difficult, IMO. I know some people would disagree but that is how I feel.

That being said - if you don't want Michael Jackson songs and you don't like the messages in his songs, then don't play them. Stick to your guns. There are 84000 other songs that people like to hear at weddings, Michael Jackson is NOT a wedding necessity.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I played Billie Jean, ABC and I Want You Back at our reception and didn't really even consider how I felt about Michael Jackson at the time I picked them.  I just like the songs and so they were included.  I think that katanne makes a good point that a lot of artists are messed up and I personally think it is okay to enjoy their music while not agreeing with their life choices.

I would be more concerned about the lyrics and the message than the actual artist.  But that is just my opinion.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_michael-jackson?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:59a47bce-3ae9-44aa-ada9-ef3c2d3b7e26Post:722fc0d3-efb5-47f4-a702-27d7b0f0dedb">Re: Michael Jackson...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I played Billie Jean, </strong>ABC and I Want You Back <strong>at our reception and didn't really even consider how I felt about Michael Jackson at the time I picked them.  I just like the songs and so they were included.  I think that katanne makes a good point that a lot of artists are messed up and I personally think it is okay to enjoy their music while not agreeing with their life choices. I would be more concerned about the lyrics and the message than the actual artist.  But that is just my opinion.</strong>
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! We played Billie Jean because mostly everyone there loves Michael Jackson, we love his music even though most of us are disgusted by what his personal life entailed especially in the later years, but most celebrities are pretty messed up, and what gets out in the media isn't usually the whole story.

We also had to play Billie Jean, because one of my good friends from high school's name is Billie Jean and it was fun to watch a bunch of people try to drag her onto the dance floor when the song came on. They also played it at her wedding last month which was funny.
  • KikoLoveAndiKikoLoveAndi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would Go ahead and make the list of songs to deff want and let the DJ know out side those songs you don't want him played (same can be said of any group or artists, like if you LOVE one or two  Ace of base or Billie joel songs but hate others.)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I agree with Joesgirl. I don't think you should judge the person. I'd be more concerned about the message and the lyrics.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Beethoven was a really screwed up individual.  Not only was he facing physical ailments, but he flew into rages, was abusive, passionate, angry, supposedly did many different things to cope with his issues...

and yet we still sing "Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee" in church.

I am a music educator and a professional musician, and we don't always have the privilege of knowing the background, personal stories, and religious affiliations of some of the "great' composers that have come and gone.  But their music is still around, and that sends a mighty message.  Something about their music was memorable and gave people a reason to keep it around.

As much as you may not agree with what happened to MJ during the last few tumultuous years (whether or not the allegations are true isn't the point) ... on a purely musical basis, his music has it's own two feet to stand on.  Yeah, so he didn't write church songs all the time like J.S. Bach (but Bach also wrote some secular tunes)... and yeah, he may have had personal issues.  The MUSIC is what's important here, and it can make or break your reception atmosphere.  I think in this case, "Thriller' or the other oldies mentioned will actually MAKE your reception memorable!! 

Sorry this was so long... just wanted to make my point clear! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    Thriller is going to be a definite at our wedding reception, that's for sure...if it's honestly that big of a deal to you and you would feel uncomfortable and/or guilty for playing it at your reception, then I say don't do it.  There are plenty of other song that you could play.  However, if you have nothing against the song in particular, and you really still do want to have it played, I say go for it.  I don't think that anyone there is going to take it as you supporting the man, and it's not like it's going to be benefitting him in any way at all...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards