Christian Weddings
Options

Grace

The board has been d-e-a-d DEAD lately, so let's get a discussion going.

I've been thinking a lot about grace lately. We had a bible study a few weeks ago where we talked about things to remember and things to forget. A lot of people talked about forgetting our past because we're forgiven, but no one mentioned grace.

Is grace spoken of frequently in your church? I know that growing up in a Baptist church grace was talked about just about every Sunday in some way, shape or form. Until I started to really explore my faith and the bible and what I believed on my own, I always felt like I didn't need to try to not sin because there was grace that was freely given to me when I asked for it.

I understand now that we're supposed to be Christians who strive not to sin, but who also understand that we aren't perfect and we can't do it on our own and that's why grace exists. Do you think there's a balance of grace and works that should be talked about in the church?
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: Grace

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_grace?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:64c4833d-7763-444f-b13b-ad5e1ad59089Post:90e95380-adf8-4335-a6b1-2edfa97112a0">Grace</a>:
    [QUOTE] A lot of people talked about forgetting our past because we're forgiven, but no one mentioned grace.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

Not exactly related to your question, but my pastor recently preached that forgetting our past includes forgetting our past "righteousness" as well (something like counting our righteousness as "filthy rags").
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is wesleyn tradtion to have sanctifing grace... We have the grace of God from his son dieing on a cross for us. This is not something we deserve or earn but it was simply a gift given to us as long as we believe that Christ has died for us. I still believe that you need to do good works simply because we are to emulate Christ in everything we do. And since Christ did good works so are we. Its Grace that saves us and lets us have eternal life! And its God's grace alone!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    diehld - Are you Wesleyan?  I don't attend a Wesleyan church now but my dad was a Wesleyan pastor (yes, I am a PK).  Anyway, it's not too often to meet another Wesleyan so I thought I'd ask.

To the original question - I don't feel that my church talks a lot about grace.  My personal opinion is that we are called to holiness and to become like Christ.  Grace is important but I don't think that we should take it for granted.

When I think of works, I think of faith vs. works.  I think of faith as what you believe and grace as something that is given to you.  So talking about faith vs. works, I feel like my church does a good job of teaching about a balance between the two.  We are encouraged to be involved in service projects and evangelize.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am United Methodist... But I love John Wesley! I have read at least a summary of 93 of his sermons... He had a lot to teach and I think they are things we can still learn from today... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards