Christian Weddings
Options

Tell me about a time...

I know we have lots of questions, but here's another one I've been meaning to ask you girls.  What is a time in your life that you experienced God most directly?

For me, I felt like God sent me a sign a few times in life -- and believe it or not, through a rainbow.

When I was struggling adapting to high school, I remember driving with my mom to school one day, and a rainbow appeared.  My told me, "God is trying to tell you something," and a few months later, I finally found my niche that allowed me to not be so miserable.

At the end of high school, I ended up getting waitlisted at my dream college, and I cried for days, since I just knew that school was where I was meant to be.  Utterly dejected, I began typing out my letter to get off the waitlist.  In the middle of writing the letter, a rainbow appeared, which gave me hope.  I ended up getting off the waitlist!

At college, I was really depressed one day thinking that I would never have a boyfriend (I hadn't dated at all).  I had this amazing dorm room overlooking Georgetown and the Potomac river, and when I was crying and writing in my journal that I would never meet a guy, a rainbow appeared over the Potomac.  The entire city turned golden in a way I had never seen before.  Two years later, I met my fiance.

My FI and I met in Germany as student abroad students.  He's Brazilian, and he was done with the program a few days earlier than me and had to go back to Brazil.  I was so heartbroken and depressed, crying nonstop.  But the day after he left, I looked out my window, and there was a rainbow.  We are now engaged.

All of these times, I definitely felt like God was there to comfort me.  I know people could say, "Well, it's just a coincidence."  But honestly, I rarely see rainbows.  And in my gut, I know it's not a coincidence.  It's just one of those things that you just know.

I also have some amazing stories that friends have told me where they literally saw God, but I'll let you girls share your stories first. :-)

Re: Tell me about a time...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This is a good question!

I have several experiences, but this is the most recent one.

I was traveling to our main office with my boss, awkward business trip anyone? And we were going to be late for our flight returning home. She was busy yelling and crying at members of our team who were taking advantage of a situation and her, and it was not a good situation. When I finally pryed her away from the awful meeting, I hopped into the rental car. It was 5:30. Our flight was at 7:05, and it takes 1 hour to get from the office to the airport, and we had to get there to print our tickets. We had to drive by Fenway Park and there was a Red Sox game that evening - I knew I-95 was going to be a mess. I silently prayed to God, please make a way for us to get there on time - God I pray that you would do this for us, and I will use this experience to speak to my boss about God and how all things are possible through him.

We arrived at the airport at 6:03. It was physically impossible for us to get there - and my boss turned to me and said, how did that happen? You weren't speeding! Wow, we are so lucky! And then I told her I believed we were blessed, and I spent the whole 1.5 hr flight home telling her about my faith, and how it gets me through each and everyday. She listened openly and asked questions - and she never does stuff like that!

It was really cool :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One year ago, my friend Tyler committed suicide.  He was a very smart, funny, handsome guy who had a LOT going for him.  He was in his second year of law school, on a full scholarship, and we all knew that he was definitely going places.  He was probably the last person I ever thought would be capable of taking his own life.

His death came as a huge shock to me, and I took it very badly.  No one knew he was even depressed..and the next thing I knew, my FI got the phone call that he had killed himself in a very disturbing, elaborate manner.  I was in such grief for months.  I cried every day.  I had trouble sleeping at all for the first week.

I'm not SUPER religious.  I believe in God, but I don't attend church, and I don't typically pray.  A few days after Tyler died, I was in the shower, crying.  I liked to cry in the shower because the sound of the water hid the noise of my sobs.  Suddenly, I got the urge to pray.  And I prayed to God and cried to Him incoherently.  I felt better.

That same night, I tossed and turned for hours and I couldn't sleep.  So I prayed.  I prayed and prayed for hours until I finally slept for the first time in a week.  God and the Bible helped me through that very hard time...but I still think about Tyler all of the time.
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There have been several, but mostly it's specific places rather than times in my life.  I feel God most at the beach.  There's just something about it.  Also, there's a creek that runs through my college campus, with a path.  It's all wooded and just so serene.  I used to walk that and pray a lot.

There were a handful of chapels in college that really spoke to me, and brought me closer to God.  The number one experience though?  Our wedding.  Seems appropriate, no?
  • Options
    twixinthemixtwixinthemix member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Several years ago I began to have some faith talks with a friend of mine.  Over the course of several days when I visiting from out of state, God gave me words that were totally not my own, and he really opened up my friend's heart.  A couple days after he left, God spoke to him and he became a Christian.  It's hard for me to take credit in this situation because I know that God was working through me the entire time.  He gave me the words to say at the right time and I had never done anything like that before.  Because he only had a KJV Bible and he was having a really hard time understanding it, I bought him a new Bible, and this past weekend he and his new wife used that Bible in their ceremony :-)

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Erin has read 1 book toward her goal of 25 books.
    hide
    Follow Me on Pinterest Married Bio and For Sale! Updated 12/23
    "And now you stand before me today, and with all my heart I say, that you are God's miracle to me." June 18th, 2011
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine also involves a rainbow.  It is still difficult to talk about it but maybe easier to type (although I have tears in my eyes right now).  I have two sisters.  One is older by 2 years and the other is younger by almost 11 years.  In 2003 my younger sister got married.  She was 21 and I was 32.  It was a very difficult thing for me to handle because as much as I love my sister and was so happy for her, I was sad for me.  My baby sister was getting married and I was unmarried - not even dating anyone.

During her ceremony, we sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and I was so choked up singing the words, "All I have needed thy hand hath provided".  I knew it was true.  I so desperately wanting to be married and have my happily ever after.  But I knew at that moment that God's plan was better than mine and that with Him in my life, I really did have all that I needed.  For hours after that I thought about that moment and tried to be okay with the fact that I may never have my fairytale wedding or my prince.

After the reception was over we cleaned up the church hall and said our good-byes to the happy couple.  It had been a perfect day with beautiful sunshine and her outside pictures are beautiful, but as we saw them off, it started to rain.  I got into my car to drive back to our camp (where we were staying) and I was crying from all of the emotion of the day.  As I drove by a large field, in the distance I could see a beautiful, full rainbow.  I think at least a few days passed before I realized that the rainbow was God's promise to me that I would someday meet my prince and have my fairytale wedding.  

Many times after that I doubted God's promise, but my pastor's wife would always remind me of Psalm 37:4 "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  She always said that Delight means "Daily Everything Lay Into God's Hands Triumphantly" so I when I would find myself doubting, I would pray and once again give it over to God.  About 3 1/2 years after my sister was married I met Joe.  And you all know the rest of the story.  Smile
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    GJones - thank you for posting this.  It is so awesome to read everyone's stories.  And it is so hard for me to understand how people might think God doesn't exist.

Joy and Twix - such awesome stories of how God used you!

Loves2Shop - so sorry to hear about your friend Tyler.  I cannot begin to understand what you've been through but I hope that you are able to remember some of the great times you had with him to get you through.

Drama - I know what you mean.  It is great to have those special places to go and feel closer to God.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_tell-time?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:74edac2e-17e4-4a61-8d2e-8b94841c9bc4Post:876a9cb3-4136-4032-b7f3-05c0fdeeeda6">Re: Tell me about a time...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine also involves a rainbow.  It is still difficult to talk about it but maybe easier to type (although I have tears in my eyes right now).  I have two sisters.  One is older by 2 years and the other is younger by almost 11 years.  In 2003 my younger sister got married.  She was 21 and I was 32.  It was a very difficult thing for me to handle because as much as I love my sister and was so happy for her, I was sad for me.  My baby sister was getting married and I was unmarried - not even dating anyone. During her ceremony, we sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" and I was so choked up singing the words, "All I have needed thy hand hath provided".  I knew it was true.  I so desperately wanting to be married and have my happily ever after.  But I knew at that moment that God's plan was better than mine and that with Him in my life, I really did have all that I needed.  For hours after that I thought about that moment and tried to be okay with the fact that I may never have my fairytale wedding or my prince. After the reception was over we cleaned up the church hall and said our good-byes to the happy couple.  It had been a perfect day with beautiful sunshine and her outside pictures are beautiful, but as we saw them off, it started to rain.  I got into my car to drive back to our camp (where we were staying) and I was crying from all of the emotion of the day.  As I drove by a large field, in the distance I could see a beautiful, full rainbow.  I think at least a few days passed before I realized that the rainbow was God's promise to me that I would someday meet my prince and have my fairytale wedding.   Many times after that I doubted God's promise, but my pastor's wife would always remind me of Psalm 37:4 "Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."  She always said that Delight means "Daily Everything Lay Into God's Hands Triumphantly" so I when I would find myself doubting, I would pray and once again give it over to God.  About 3 1/2 years after my sister was married I met Joe.  And you all know the rest of the story.  
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

oh my goodness, I have tears in my eyes. What a beautiful story! I love that hymn, something about it is just so incredibly moving.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have experienced God powerfully quite a few times, and lately just thinking about Christ's love for me is bringing me to tears, but the most powerful experience I had with God was just before I was saved (or I was newly saved, it was a cloudy time for me reflecting on it). I was lying in my bed at night, crying and crying because my world was collapsing around me. Things were terrible at home, things were weird with myself and FI (then boyfriend, he was newly saved and God was changing both of our hearts, and it was a difficult time of adjustment), my family life was spinning out of control, and I was in my first year of nursing school, which was taking a toll on my perfectionist personality. So I am in bed, my mind running a thousand miles a minute. I remember feelings so alone, I have never felt that lonely in my entire life. I just kept thinking "I am so alone, I have no one". Then, all of a sudden, I heard a thundering voice say my name. I can't even describe how this voice sounded, other than thundering. Like I remember feeling the walls sahking. The voice just said my name in a very booming, thundering way, which initially made me jump out of my skin, but then I was so overcome with peace, and fell right asleep. I didnt realize until much later the significance of this moment. Praise God!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I loved reading everyone's stories!

I'm working up the courage to type mine :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't believe I forgot to mention the most recent time of God's intervention.  It happened just this weekend.

Well, as some of you know, I've been having a rough few months.  Horrific family drama led to my wedding budget becoming non-existant.  The situation deeply depressed me, and eventually I had to be evaluated by a psychiatrist and I had to start antidepressants.  I was so upset about the wedding/family drama that I had fallen completely behind in law school and even contemplated dropping out.

So, Saturday morning, I was sleeping in.  I had just woken up, but hadn't opened my eyes yet.  And suddenly, it finally hit me.  I can't let this garbage destroy my life forever.  Am I angry about it?  Absolutely.  Will I ever forgive my parents for it?  I don't know, but right now it seems unlikely.  But life needs to go on.  It's very important to FI and I that we have the kind of wedding we had originally planned for...so come hell or high water, we will have it.

I realized that *absolute* worst case scenario, we have to go a little into debt for the wedding that will make us happy.  I'd rather go $10,000 in debt for a wedding than have to go $80,000 in debt because I was so upset about this nonsense that I lost my scholarship to law school.  It just hit me:  use simple math here.  Worst case scenario, we'd go $10,000 into debt.  Sure it's not ideal...but it's a lot better than losing a scholarship and having to pay for the last 2 years of law school.

After that realization, I felt a lot better.  It took me months to get there, but I'm glad God finally gave me peace.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
       my church was going on a mission trip to Mexico. I had never thought about ME going on one of these trips. I'd never flown before, never been out of the country before, and had never been on a mission trip before. I'd barely been 50 miles away from my parents!!   but I had this unexplainable urge to learn more about this trip. As much as I was scared and DIDN'T want to go, I felt I had to go.

I listen to Christian radio, and a few times on the radio, I'd hear songs that talked about just stepping out in faith, or stuff like that. Finally, I decided I'd go to a few meetings. I wavered back and forth whether I should go or not - every time I had it in my head that I would stay home, I'd hear another one of these songs on the radio telling me to go.

Finally, I went, and it was awesome. I'd do it again in a heart beat. in fact, I know this is sort of weird, but FI and I want to go on a mission trip as our "honeymoon" so what if we're not relaxing and being pampered, we'll be together, helping someone else, and that's what we enjoy most.
  • Options
    Anytime I'm surrounded by nature, I definitely can feel the peace and love just overflowing inside of me - and I know there's only one place I can get that kind of joy and comfort.  :)

There are two circumstances I can think of.  The first involves building our house.  My grandpa (before he passed away) got bonds for his two kids (my mom and uncle) and somehow had some for my sister and me (even though he passed a year before my sister was born, 5 before I was born).  Well, my mom used all of hers, as she's grown and has a home.  My sister has used all but one bond, and is using that last one to put a down payment on a house.  I'm using all of mine to build FI's and my house for when we get married - although I've been really terrified that we won't have enough money to finish it and get everything done we need to.  FI's mema called me one day and started talking to me about the house.  FI's papa and dad are working on building it now until FI can go down there, and she was asking questions on the size and what we wanted and things.  I told her I didn't know if I should make it smaller so that we have enough money, but I don't want it too small because we're going to live there forever and plan on having one to two kids (if it's in God's plan).  Well, I was nervous about the money, to the point of freaking out, but I never told Mema that.  Randomly she stopped me over the phone and said, "Don't make it smaller, you'll want that space.  We'll make sure you get your house built and done, we'll help you, don't worry about the money."  I just stopped and said ok, and felt peace completely come over me.  She might not have known it, but I know it had to of been God speaking to me.  :)

The second is still in the process - I have a pretty nice car, and am very blessed.  However, we want to get a newer one with less miles on it, as I'm going to be putting a LOT of miles on when we move, as well as changing to a Ford so that if something goes wrong, FI can fix it.  I've been extremely stressed about paying for a new car, because we're using all of our money on the house, and don't like payments because of all of the interest and things that go with it.  Well today, when I was about to write my post, a wave just came over me or relief and calmness.  I told God I was giving it to him, and got this image in my head of His hand "taking the situation".  I can't wait to see what He has in store for me!!

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My "clear" moment when I could feel God most powerfully in my life was when I was in church singing some choir songs (from the congregation).  I had decided at that point that I wouldn't pay as much attention to how I sounded, what others would think about my voice, and just sing to the Lord - and at that particular moment, the sun shone through the windows and just about blinded me.  I had to close my eyes, and I felt God saying "thank you, my child."  It was pretty strong.  I made some excuse to my parents (was only 8 at the time but very self-conscious) that I had to go to the bathroom really bad, so I went to the bathroom outside the sanctuary and knew that God wanted me to sing to him more, so I went down the hall to the farthest bathroom from the sanctuary and just let God fill me up.  The sun came in blindingly through the window in the bathroom and I knew that I was in the presence of God.  I was in tears and just so moved by the entire experience.  My mom of course thought that I was just having a bad day and I told them about the experience later that week, and the next Sunday I went to the altar to proclaim that I believe in God, want Jesus as Lord of my life, and to declare that I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God.  

So, through music, plus sunshine, God shows himself to me daily.  I notice sometimes when I'm driving that even if the sun isn't out anywhere else, I feel like the clouds part so that God can look down on me.  I know he doesn't need to care about a person as small as me with all of the other people on this world who need him, and I'm so humbled that he would care enough for me to provide a hope and a future.  

Gushing a bit, but really, I had never told that exact story to anyone besides my parents.  It's weird to think about, and it probably makes me sound like I'm part of a cult, but really .... I'm a child of God, and He makes a way to reveal Himself to us daily.  Even in the smallest moment, God finds a way to make me smile.  It is when that happens, that I know that I'm in His will.  

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks,  everyone, for sharing your experiences.  I think it serves as a reminder how God exists and interacts with us in this world.

Iamjoesgirl, your rainbow experience is beautiful!  And it's sooooo similar to mine!  It's amazing when it's not just you, but others, who are experiencing God in similar ways.  It just goes to show how there is some basis to it.
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add one more story to the mix.  This happened to my FI.

He's Catholic and went on a pilgrimage in Spain (St. James Way).  He literally hiked across all of Spain.  Anyways, one day he pushed himself on the way, and he severly hurt his knee.  When he arrived at his hostel, he was in so much pain, and he was thinking about needing to quit.  But the old owner at the hostel saw how he was limping, so he told my FI to sit down so that he could heal him.  My FI didn't want to, but just to be nice, he said sure.  My FI was really skeptical, and the old man put his hands on the wrong knee and prayed.  My FI didn't say anything, like, "Wrong knee."  But the man prayed, and when my FI stood up, the pain was gone.  It wasn't a matter of resting, because earlier he had sat down for even longer, and the pain was really bad and wouldn't go away.

Later, my FI learned that the old man in the hostel was famous among pilgrims for his healing powers.  In the Orthodox Christian tradition, we believe it is possible for humans to heal others if those individuals are so spiritual and selfless, their will literally becomes "one" with God's so that they can command healing much like Jesus did.  This is something you hear about with the saints or monks in places like Mount Athos (the largest Orthodox Christian monestary community, an ancient place isolated on a peninsula in Greece that is still thriving today). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, GJones!  That is some story.  God works in mysterious ways and he works through people we never expect sometimes.  

Thanks for sharing your stories, ladies!  It's amazing that even with our various churches and ways of worship, God can be so REAL to all of us in ways that we can all relate.  And I love this board.  :-) 
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Both of mine involve Mission Trips...one with church, the other with my university.

Summer 2006: My Youth Group was going to DC to help a church plant.  We were supposed to leave the church around 2, and get to DC around 7ish at the latest.  We were really excited to be taking out newer bus, because the older one always, always, always had problems on trips.  This was my first summer as a chaperone, so I was really looking forward to not having to keep an eye on the group at a random garage, or the side of the interstate, or wherever Big Cheese had broken down before. 

So, we all got on Bleu Cheese and headed up 81.  About 2 hours into the trip, Bleu Cheese starts freaking out.  So, our Youth Pastor gets on an exit ramp, which just *happened* to have a gas station right off the exit, pulls in the parking lot, and the bus just turned herself off.  So, we all get off the bus, go in the store and buy some chips and drinks, and just sit ourselves on the hill next to the bus.

We decided to get out our materials so we could work on our Backyard Bible Club lessons for the week, so we weren't really paying attention to much else.  Next thing we know, this couple leaves the gas station, comes back with their church van, and takes us to their church just a few miles away. 

A few hours later (it was ~10pm at this point) one of our adult leader's uncles sends a huge (charter-like) bus from his church to take us the rest of the way to DC.  We got to where we were staying around 2am.

Such a lesson on not letting Satan defeat what God has planned...and that when God wants you somewhere...He'll get you there.  Our Youth Pastor and Bleu Cheese were able to join us the next afternoon after the garages opened and he got it fixed.  He stayed with the couple who drove us to their church.

Spring Break 2007: I decided to go to NYC with a group from my university to help serve at Manhattan Christian Academy and Manhattan Soup Kitchen in the Washington Heights/Inwood district (Spanish Harlem).  We knew the neighborhood was not the Upper East Side, but it wasn't supposed to be a violent area. 

We left from the school early on a Saturday morning, and stopped at a huge reststop on 95 around Baltimore.  I should add, there were 12 of us on this trip...only 2 were over 24.  It was the first time I didn't feel like there was an "adult" in charge, even though there was obvious leadership. 

We get back out to the van, and our leader realizes that the keys are sitting on the drivers seat.  Thankfully, he had AAA, so we called and waited...and waited...and waited for about 2 hours for them to show up. 

We get back in the van and make our way to MCA.  The principal met us there and after we got everything unloaded, we learned that 2 hours earlier (so...about the time we would have been rolling in had we not locked ourselves out) there had been a machete attack right outside the doors of the school after someone was cut off in traffic.  God's hand of protection right there.

**Side note- While we were working in the soup kitchen one night, the real, actual Maytag Man from the commercials walked in and started serving.  The staff said it's the first stop he makes whenever he's in NYC.  He's such a cool guy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards