Christian Weddings
Options

An update on my life...

Now that everything has actually happened and some choices have been made, I can update y'all on my life a little bit.

My university cut my program. It was official as of today, but there has been talk of it since spring semester ended in May. I knew of this talk and my advisor told me that it was most likely happening and I should start thinking about my options. I decided not to worry about it until it actually happened because I was working full time, getting married, etc.

As some of you remember, I was laid off from my full time job. I'm finding out now that it was a result of the program being cut. I wasn't told that because my boss "didn't want to scare me." Gee, thanks, lady.

The options those of us in the program were given was to be rolled into another degree...in a different college. It's a completely different degree and it's not something I would even be interested in.

Anyway, H and I started talking about what we wanted to do after the wedding because now my choices involve him as well. H is done with school May 2013, so he has four more semesters. The program I was in would have been 3 more semesters, but the new program would have been 7. That's not an option considering H will be done with his degree and looking for jobs before I am.

I met with a bunch of different advisors hoping I could find a degree that I would be able to finish in the same amount of time as the other one. No dice. There's one other option, but it's in danger because of budget cuts as well. I'm not even going to take that risk.

We decided that I'm withdrawing from my university. I need to be done with that place. They've laid me off from two jobs, cut my program, and tuition has gone up again. I can go back to school on H is done and we end up wherever he gets a job. So until then, I'm being a SAHW and looking for a part time job for the daytime while he's at school. It's scary, but we've prayed a lot about it and we feel at peace about it.
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: An update on my life...

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Oh.my.goodness.  That stinks!!  Remind me which program you were in?  
    Praying you can find a job, soon!!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in Agriculture Biotechnology. They were offering to roll us all into Cell Biotechnology in the College of Sciences...not even close to the same thing. :(

I have an interview today at 2:30. I'm excited about it, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that your program was cut. God must have big plans for your part time job. Are you looking for something specific or anything that you can get?

Good luck at your interview. Pray ing for you, your H, and your job situation
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm trying to avoid retail and fast food. I really enjoyed doing collections for a durable medical equipement company, but I don't know what the chances are of ever doing that again. Haha. I'm trying not to be picky, though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about technical schools?  One in your area may have something along the lines of argricultural biotech.  I would think a lot of your coursework would transfer, so you could at least get an associate's degree.  At least in WV and NC, tuition isn't bad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_update-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7d832cb7-7d0c-4c9f-a7e2-4f3edc76366cPost:5ce0fab5-661a-4b7f-ad76-f7474209d44b">Re: An update on my life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about technical schools?  One in your area may have something along the lines of argricultural biotech.  I would think a lot of your coursework would transfer, so you could at least get an associate's degree.  At least in WV and NC, tuition isn't bad.
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

I have an associates. Got that tution free while I was in high school...

We don't have technical school's around here. There is a state school that's kind of community college like about 40 minutes from us. They have nothing even close to what I was going at my university, but they have a few other things I'm remotely interested in.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear about this but I'm glad you've prayed and feel at peace. This will all work out for the best, and in the meantime, it sounds like you have a positive outlook and a do-able plan.

Virtual hugs coming your way!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh sorry about this. I will pray that something comes along. How did the interview go?
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is moving at all an option?  I'm wondering if Oregon State would have your degree, since they're all big on agriculture.  Is having both of you transfer an option at all?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like you have a great attitude and are at peace as much as anyone can be who is in your shoes. I will pray the right job comes along for you. Remember, God is always watching out for us.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    Wow - that really stinks.  But you seem to be doing well considering the circumstances.  Had you already accumulated any credits beyond your associates?

My sister went through a similar situation.  She and her husband decided that he would take a teaching job at their alma mater partly because the college was starting a Master's degree program in her field of choice (and she would get 1/2 price tuition because he was a faculty member).  She started taking classes and then a year into it, they cut the degree program.  Now she has to travel over an hour one way to another school and is working on her Master's degree in something else (something that would not have been her first choice).  Meanwhile, the college where her husband teaches has cut salaries so they are paying for classes that she wasn't planning on paying for on a lower salary.

The reason I tell you all of this is that I think this program was made for my sister.  She is dealing with the distance and they are making it financially.  It would not have been her choice, but it was God's choice.

I hope that the same will happen for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry your program got cut!  But everything happens for a reason, and I'm sure God has an even better plan for you.  In the meantime, you have your associate's degree to help you get a part time job, and I personally would enjoy a year or two of being a SAHW.  I hope you're able to finish your degree soon!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_update-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7d832cb7-7d0c-4c9f-a7e2-4f3edc76366cPost:39279aa8-437b-48d6-a729-1eddcf8fd272">Re: An update on my life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is moving at all an option?  I'm wondering if Oregon State would have your degree, since they're all big on agriculture.  Is having both of you transfer an option at all?
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

H has got it made here. They're giving him so many scholarships that I couldn't ask him to transfer. Plus, ChemE is already a 5 year program on it's own, I don't want to it to get screwed up with transferring and take another year. His dad would be thrilled if we went to OSU, though...that's where he went.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_update-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7d832cb7-7d0c-4c9f-a7e2-4f3edc76366cPost:fbf2c012-07d5-4456-a60e-22bac3c79834">Re: An update on my life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: An update on my life... : H has got it made here. They're giving him so many scholarships that I couldn't ask him to transfer. Plus, ChemE is already a 5 year program on it's own, I don't want to it to get screwed up with transferring and take another year. His dad would be thrilled if we went to OSU, though...that's where he went.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

<div>Ay.  I didn't realize he was ChemE.  Yeah, definitely stay put!  Those engineering majors are a pain in the butt for transferring.</div>
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Bleh that is not good. That really sucks that your program got cut.  I think you guys made a good decision.  Who knows maybe a SAHW could be awesome for you!   :) I didn't know your H was a Chem E.  So is my FI!  I'll be praying for you that everything works out.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_update-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7d832cb7-7d0c-4c9f-a7e2-4f3edc76366cPost:50cfaf03-0043-4554-a4c7-c13a8682bcfe">Re: An update on my life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: An update on my life... : Ay.  I didn't realize he was ChemE.  Yeah, definitely stay put!  Those engineering majors are a pain in the butt for transferring.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

They're a pain in the butt in general. I'm super irritated that it's a 5 year degree and he's pretty much killing himself to get it done in the 5 years. He's taking 21 (semester) credits. :(

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_update-life?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7d832cb7-7d0c-4c9f-a7e2-4f3edc76366cPost:c39d6343-21ac-41f4-9ce6-76e118218f77">Re: An update on my life...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bleh that is not good. That really sucks that your program got cut.  I think you guys made a good decision.  Who knows maybe a SAHW could be awesome for you!   :) I didn't know your H was a Chem E.  So is my FI!  I'll be praying for you that everything works out.
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

That's really cool :) I always joke with H that ChemE requires a special kind of nerd.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards