Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: I need some opinions or advice...

So I haven't posted here much, but I feel as though I can talk about this here and see if any of you have had a similar experience.

I have a friend who is agnostic.  He lately has been searching for answers.  He came to me asking me what I believe about God and so I told him what I believe and that is that I believe in God and that He created the world and that He sent His son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins and I mentioned some books for him to read. 
I find it easy speaking to people about God who don't have doubts about Him, but it's hard when somebody is completely on the fence, ya know? Or doesn't believe at all.   He's still asking questions and FI has talked to him too.  I guess I'm just wondering if you guys have been in this same situation and what did you do?  I guess I feel like there's more I could say, I just haven't found the words and I worry about overloading someone with information.

Anyways, I really feel like this would be a good place to talk about this.  I know this is totally random and thanks for reading and thanks in advance
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NWR: I need some opinions or advice...

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If he is open to it, I would suggest he read The Case for Christ.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did mention that to him! Thanks..   He's very intelligent and he is very scientific and that's not really in my area of expertise so I feel like he's searching for answers deeper then what I can provide him with.  But I know the Case for Christ is a good one and I think one he can relate to.  So I'm just going to pray for him.  It's just so awesome having someone close, but yet at the same time it's terrifying because I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing and it pushing him away. 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keep praying for him, and keep praying for the right words for you.  Listen to the still, small voice.  In situations like these, I think it's best to take his lead.  Discuss it when he wants to, but don't initiate unless it's something like, "hey, our college group from church is going to the drive in this weekend and I thought you might like to join us!" or "I saw this book and thought it might help answer some of the questions I haven't been able to helpy ou with."
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it were me, I would have mental conversations with myself on what your faith means to you when you have free time.  This way when you talk with him next time, you've had some practice, and you've identified topics you want to bring up.

If he's very scientific, I think C.S. Lewis is great, as he was very intellectual.  Mere Christianity is a great read.  I think you'll also want to identify what aspects of religion you want to emphasize... do you want to convince him on the existence of God and His intevention in the world?  The case for Christianity and accpetance of Jesus Christ as a savior?  The former may be a little easier... once he's accepted that, it's easier to move on to the latter.
  • Options
    yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I second what everyone else has said, and I'm praying for you and him, too.  Keep in mind that there is only so much you can do, the rest is up to the Holy Spirit and this man.  I think you're on the right track with what you've said, though :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice, but I am praying for you, your FI, and this guy you are sharing the gospel with
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second (third?) The Case for Christ. It does such a great job of proving His existence to those who need it put scientifically.
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm praying that you find the right words.

I haven't read it yet, but DH has a book called The Science of God by Gerald Schroeder.  From the back cover: "Schroeder argues that the latest science and a close reading of the Bible are not just compatible but interdependent." 
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sharing my faith, especially with people who are on the fence (or even just want to argue), is one my favorite things to do. I found that sharing was most easy after I'd done it a few times and I was wililng. And when I was willing, I was given tons and tons of opportunities.

I'm praying for your friend and for you. You can't do this on your own (and I think you know that), so keep praying and asking for words to say. God knows exactly where your friends heart is.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to encourage you, because no matter how easy or difficult someone is to convince, it's impossible to convince them of the truth of the gospel without God, so it's not really up to you.

So no matter what you say, the gospel in and of itself is powerful. Nothing you can do or say will screw up his salvation (nor will you be able to take credit at all if he is saved). (Romans 1:16: For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew ffirst and also to the Greek.)

I find it really enlightening to explore the way Jesus witnessed. For example, I was learning about Nicodemus the other day and it was really interesting that although Nicodemus would have been considered much more learned and brighter than a carpenter's son, Jesus wasn't afraid to challenge Nicodemus' beliefs and point out some inconsistencies in Nicodemus' logic.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm just getting back to this, but I've been at work.
    I just want to say thank you for all the prayers and encouragement.  Means a lot.

You guys are all right and I agree with what everyone is saying.  I was so overwhelmed last night and I don't think I slept much, just praying.   It's just such an  intense feeling when someone you know is so close. 

He mentioned to me today that he's reading Mere Christianity and that he just started reading it.  He's really open and really wants to learn more.  To me I feel like for someone who is searching so hard, he must know or have some feeling that there's something more or bigger then us. 

Also, I know I've talked to him a lot but you guys are right that I can only do so much and the rest is between God and him.  I'm just praying that he's searching with an open heart. 

I agree that the case for Christ is an awesome book and I think it would help him a lot. 

@ ochemjenn I will mention that book to him.  Sounds like it would be a good book.

@mrandmrsbrist this is definitely something that's new to me. I'm actually use to being persecuted for my beliefs by non Christians and I've stood up for God and what I believe in, but it's just a different scenario and it's like so exciting but nervewrecking at the same time. I know that God will give me the words to say and He definitely has because there a few things when we were talking where I was like WHOA where did that come from.. 

@ sister2groom this is very encouraging. Thank you. I need to read more into that.  
    And yes this is definitely all God.  I'm just a tool for Him to use.  I couldn't take credit because there's no way I would be able to even talk to this friend if it wasn't for the courage and words that God gives me.  

Thank you so much again for all the encouragement and prayers.  You guys are a wonderful group of people.  

I know the rest is up to him and God and I'm just going to continue to pray for him.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd also encourage you to have conversation with him besides that about God. Get to know more about your friend. People are more willing to open up if it's "just conversation" rather than a debate.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm late on this, but I will pray! I think you are doing a great job! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks.

So I'm feeling kind of dumb.  This guy decided to post a status on facebook and now there's a huge debate and I can't tell if he's really seeking knowledge about God and really seeking to know Him or if he's just trying to stir stuff up or maybe a little of both.... 
    Kind of frustrating
    still praying for him though
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I should rephrase that... I definitely don't feel dumb for sharing the gospel and for sharing my faith!  I just feel maybe just frustrated like he wasn't being serious ... but I know it wasn't time wasted... I really don't feel like I worded that right before...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know that in the times I've questioned my faith or things that were going on in my church, I really looked like I was trying to stir things up. A lot of the college kids in our church didn't like me at first because I had so many questions and I often come off confrontational. I guess I'm telling you this because even though it doesn't look like he's genuine to you, he very may well could be.

And even if he's not genuine and he just wants to debate, I think growth can come out of that...for both of you. You're getting pratice sharing your faith and he's hearing truth, whether he is accepting it or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-need-opinions-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:83665852-9095-4160-8682-0c562609dea8Post:c040c44a-d7fb-4c73-8d9e-b97f58bc5b3e">Re: NWR: I need some opinions or advice...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that in the times I've questioned my faith or things that were going on in my church, I really looked like I was trying to stir things up. A lot of the college kids in our church didn't like me at first because I had so many questions and I often come off confrontational. I guess I'm telling you this because even though it doesn't look like he's genuine to you, he very may well could be. And even if he's not genuine and he just wants to debate, I think growth can come out of that...for both of you. You're getting pratice sharing your faith and he's hearing truth, whether he is accepting it or not.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for this.  Helps a lot.  It's very motivating.  Thanks again
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry this is late, not sure if it will help or not at this point! But I would say be very honest about what you believe and where you're at. It's ok to not have the answers to everything, don't pretend that you do. 

The best way I've seen is to listen to his story, ask why he's wondering about your faith and where he's coming from. Then share your story with him, who you were before you met Christ, and how he's changed you. (Even if it's not the dramatic from workin' the corner to being an evangelist testimony). Then share with him God's story and find connecting points between everything. Show him how God is already working in his life and the difference he can make. 

And be patient. Everyone comes to different places on their own. You just need to be available and let God move as he wants. We're just the tools ;) 

BUT It's fantastic you're willing to step out and share your faith! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I'm just now commenting back!

@RebeccaJack thanks a lot for your advice.  It does help.  I did talk to him about my beliefs and why I believe what I do, but he's really searching for scientific answers.  I told him honestly that I don't have hardly any answers when it comes to the scientific side of things and that's something I'm still learning about.  I also thought that he was just trying to debate the sake of debating on Facebook and I thought he was just trying to mock and tear down anything a Christian would say but 40 something comments later somebody got on and posted a comment saying how terrible Christians are and categorizing all Christians with a specific stereotype and he came back and actually defended us.  So it proves to me that he's really searching and really wanting to know.  So I just said to him.  If you are seeking Him, you will find Him. 

@djhar Thanks for the recommendation ! I'll pass that on.  I'm definitely praying for him and praying that he does have that encounter.  As I mentioned above I really do believe he is really seeking.  I've told him my experiences and how the things I've witnessed and the changes he's made in my life.  I'm just praying that God will soften his heart.  Thank you for the advice and prayers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards