Christian Weddings

Which of these two songs to walk down aisle to?

I'm getting married in a grand Orthodox Christian church, and we'll have an organist.  He has a list of seven songs he can play that are approved by the priest, and I've narrowed it down to two.  Which of these do you like better?  I'm torn.

I know this topic is only tangentially related to the Christian board, but I love this board and value all of your opinions a lot.

Pachelbel Canon in D (organ)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdSqiMFb0w
Love this song, but I don't think the organ version is as good as the string version.

Rigaudon - Andre Campra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFKyWEZDvOM

Re: Which of these two songs to walk down aisle to?

• edited December 2011
    Wow, I LOVE Rigaudon.  I haven't heard that one before either.  It sounds VERY regal and fitting for a bridal processional.

I personally think that Canon in D is little too "quiet" for a bridal processional (this is the musician and music educator in me!)... the bridal procession music should kind of point the congregation's attention to the fact that something is about to happen, and Pachelbel's Canon just sounds like "nice music."  I would DEFINITELY suggest the Canon for the mothers, grandmothers, etc... maybe even the Bridesmaids.  It is familiar enough that the congregation might be expecting something to happen, but at the same time, it doesn't scream "the bride is coming" so you still can have that moment with the doors opening, the organ playing unison notes, and the gasp as people realize it's time for the wedding!!

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kelly.  I like Rigaudon and it sounds like you don't really like Pachelbel's canon on the organ anyway.  
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Pachelbel's Canon still gives me nightmares from a choir competition more than 10 years ago, so there's no way I'd go with that.  Rigaudon for the win!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_of-two-songs-walk-down-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:90fc8221-5af0-4e8e-8307-5bf6ab175002Post:10dd088b-fcab-44db-ac0c-4248b17a6b33">Re: Which of these two songs to walk down aisle to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pachelbel's Canon still gives me <strong>nightmares from a choir competition</strong> more than 10 years ago, so there's no way I'd go with that.  Rigaudon for the win!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sorry, I just laughed at the bolded part...  Hope you're okay!!  I teach middle school choir now and my biggest fear is actually choir competitions.... :-) 

</div>
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    2500 Comments 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    kellya, we sang Canon in D for a high school choir competition.  It was so hard and totally ruined the song for me.  All of us still start looking around and cringing when we hear it played somewhere.  Somewhere I still have an email from a friend from when we were in college and all it said was "I heard Pachelbel today.  I tried to run but I was in an elevator.  Now I'm in a padded room..."

And middle school choir, huh?  I teach middle school theatre!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards