Christian Weddings
Options

SO - who registered for china?

Just curious how many of you registered for special ocassion China in addition to everyday dishes, what you chose, and why you decided to register for it.

We did not.  We're not at all fancy people and knew it was unlikely we'd ever use it.  My grandma also had a set and I knew eventually that would make its way to us, so if we did decide we wanted some, there ya go.  Plus, I knew way too many people who registered for it and got 3 place settings, the gravy boat and soup tureen.  H didn't want to do it because he didn't want to store the stuff.

We did get nicer everyday dishes though.  We have the Noritake Colorwave in graphite.  I'd like to get some new pieces; they came out with some different plates and bowls after we got married.

Re: SO - who registered for china?

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and?  I've always had a thing for Denby.  There was a Denby set that I really wanted when we got married but it was too blue for H's taste.  Now I'm lusting after this one

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did.  I know we won't use it in the short term, but we will eventually.  Also, out of all of my gifts on the registry, I'm finding that people are buying me the china and fancy stuff.  I think guests like to give something that you'll use for the rest of your life, as opposed to something that will get old and be thrown out easily.

This is our china:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered for Lenox at BB&B - it's plain but I chose it because I love the "timeless look" :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our casual dinnerware is BB&B Everday White Rim: (the round design)
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=106810

We registered for fine china- Waterford's "Ballet Icing Pearl":
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=118285

My mom and dad have fine china and we don't know who's going to eventually inherit it, but that's the only potential set that anyone could inherit.  My older brother and his wife inherited her grandmother's china, and I have too many other cousins to have a chance at my great-grandmother's or my grandmother's china, so we knew we'd need our own set.  Additionally, we know we'll use it probably a few times a month, and plan to have it displayed in a china hutch (eventually) so that it is more accessible and more likely to be used. 

If you couldn't tell already, I absolutely adore fine china.  I went just last week to Replacements Ltd. (near me in NC) just to look at all of the beautiful patterns.  It's like going to a museum!! :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did not.  Like you, we are not fancy people.  I gave away my everyday set and decided to use my Pfaltzgraff set for every day and when guests come.  We have a winter pattern that we use from after Thanksgiving through February.  The rest of the year I just use my every day pattern.  I just don't ever see myself doing entertaining where I invite people over that I don't know well.  Plus I didn't really have space for another whole set of dishes.
  • Options
    Habs2HartHabs2Hart member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  Not fancy people at all.  We registered for a nice pottery-type stuff for everyday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nope.  Number 1, FI and I are not fancy.  The entertaining that we do involves paper plates and Solo cups, lol.  Number 2, my mom has a full set of fancy China (serving dishes and all) that she has only used like twice in her life (and even then it was just for the sake of saying she used it) that she has offerred to give me as a wedding present.  I have registered for everyday dishes at Target.

ETA:  Here is the everyday set we registered for:  http://www.target.com/Corelle-Hearthstone-16-pc-Dinnerware-Set/dp/B001RTS7TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=corelle%20floral%20serenity&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-1&qid=1301928024&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Corelle%20Hearthstone%2016-pc%20Dinnerware%20Set.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for both every day dishes and fine china. I love to entertain and look forward to hosting holidays at our house so the china will definitely be put to good use. I've only used it once so far and it was when I cooked my first ever Thanksgiving dinner this past year and it came out great. I was shocked!

We registered for our every day dishes at Crate & Barrel. We registered for the Nuit design.

And for our fine china and stemware we registered at BBB for Kate Spade's June Lane collection. I wanted to register for it in the gold color, but the consultant told me it'd be best to register for it in the silverish color since silverware would clash with the gold plates and I quickly realized she was right and we picked the silver and love it because it goes with our dining room scheme of deep green, black, and cream accents.

• Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did not register for fine china although there are several patterns that I loved. I doubt that we will use it any time in the near future. Also, I have my mom's china and her china hutch that my great grandfather made. I think I will give that to my sister as soon as she has a place for it.
    I also just inheritted my grandmother's Haviland china. Picture below.

AND  FMIL would like to give us hers at some point
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided to go with white stoneware since it's a little nicer so it will be great for if we have guests but it's still casual enough for everyday use. This is our dishes (hopefully).

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?BRN=1&sku=16525260&
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't fancy people either, and didn't register, but we got my grandma's if we ever want it.  I have no clue what it looks like haha but I'm pretty sure it's pretty!!  :)

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did!  FI would like to entertain.  We registed for the Waterford Brocade pattern:
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=98296&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

We also registered for 4 settings of Lennox British Colonial.  It's very SC, and we found out a couple of weeks ago that we'll be moving to Columbia, SC.
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did and I love it!

It's Kate Spade's Wickford collection. It's a white Lenox china with wicker textured rims.

I wanted something that could be dressed up and dressed down, because I want to actually USE it on a regular basis, so it's good for going with all holidays, colors and levels of formality.

We registered for cheap everyday yellow dishes, and glass dishes as well.

That being said, DH and I are the entertaining type. I don't regret it at all.

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_registered-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:94a145de-159b-427d-b221-3ecba82a4e38Post:768c2d71-123c-4a4d-98fe-6132da4ae654">Re: SO - who registered for china?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did and I love it! It's Kate Spade's Wickford collection. It's a white Lenox china with wicker textured rims. I wanted something that could be dressed up and dressed down, because I want to actually USE it on a regular basis, so it's good for going with all holidays, colors and levels of formality. We registered for cheap everyday yellow dishes, and glass dishes as well. That being said, DH and I are the entertaining type. I don't regret it at all.
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]

<div>I registered and got those for my everyday-ware!  I really like them.</div>
  • Options
    squeakyducksqueakyduck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually just got my first wedding gift today- and it was one of our china settings! We registered for this one. 

I also registered to get more of the Corelle that I already have. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No china for us. I agree with PP's- no space for it and no one we would invite over would be expecting it. My aunt (who is very well-off) told me that she saw an old lady in Macy's asking how much money they think she could sell her china for because she tried to give it away to her grandkids and none of them wanted it. There are other things I would rather get. I'm not knocking those of you who like/want it though- it can be useful if you have the space to store it and you plan on having fancy dinner parties. And those of you who posted pics of yours- it IS beautiful. 

We registered for everyday dishes from Target that I love.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    rentaduckie we are china twins!!! I love that pattern so much, and FI immediately chose it out of the three I suggested to him :)

My family uses china on every holiday, and mom thinks it's very important I have china so I can invite our pastor and his wife over for dinner after church :P That probably won't happen very often, but hey you never know :)

I LOVE red napkins and christmas tablecloths, so I wanted a china that would match - my grandmother's is ivory with olive green accents so it just plain doesn't work....and my mom's is ivory and blue....I needed my own set so I can do Christmas. FI and I hosted our first Thanksgiving this past year and will probably continue doing so - Christmas will have to wait until we have a house and my parents retire and sell theirs, but we'll probably host that for a good 25 years :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eh.  Just because DH and I registered for fine china doesn't mean we're fancy.  We already had pottery-style dishes and I grew up with parents who had multiple sets of dinnerware. 
    We chose Lenox Chirp.  It's used everyday.
    Do the creep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards