Eggplant parmesan
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
1 egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
Italian bread crumbs
Salt
Tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1. After slicing the eggplant, lay the slices out, sprinkle with salt, and let the slices sweat out. This process should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours, (This is very important, as starting this recipe with a raw eggplant results in a big soggy mess.) Dab off liquid with a paper towel.

2. After sweating out and drying the eggplant, dip the slices into the egg mixture, then directly into the bread crumbs. Press the bread crumbs into the slices to make sure they stick, then gently shake off the excess.

3. Place the breaded slices on a wire rack (sprayed with non-stick spray) on a baking sheet. Place in oven, bake for 15 minutes.

4. After 15 minutes, spoon a small amount of tomato or spaghetti sauce  onto the slice and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Bake again for 10 minutes.

Re: Recipe exchange: Favorite vegetarian dish

• Options
    AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Herbed Pasta Primavera

1-3/4 cups dried multigrain or whole wheat penne pasta (8 ounces)
    8 ounces packaged peeled baby carrots, halved lengthwise (1-3/4 cups)

1 tablespoon olive oil

8 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)

1/2 cup sliced green onion or 1 medium onion, chopped

3/4 cup chicken broth
    2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch thick (2 cups)

2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
    Grated or finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
    Cracked black pepper

Cook penne according to package directions; drain. Return penne to hot saucepan; cover and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir carrots in hot olive oil for 5 minutes. Add green beans, green onion, broth, and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in squash. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.

3. Toss vegetable mixture, basil, and salt with penne. Sprinkle with almonds, cheese (if desired), and pepper.

4. Makes 4 servings

I got this from the BHG cookbook a while back and love it.  It takes a while to cut and prep the veggies, but it tastes so fresh!

Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can I make a suggestion for the next one?

Can we do gluten free recipies? :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mrandmrsbrist - Sure, we can do gluten-free next week, and if you ever want to submit a gluten-free recipe feel free to do so.
  • Options
    MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have one to share. The only "vegetarian" thing FI and I eat is spaghetti with marinara sauce haha. But these are both great ideas and sound sooo yummy!! Perhaps I'll get inspired to cook something that isn't meat. Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    Orzo Salad, Greek Style

8 oz orzo pasta
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups chopped ripe tomato
    3 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup black olives, pitted and roughtly chopped
    1 cup basil, stemmed and chopped
    1/2 cup grated feta cheese

Cook orzo according to directions on box.  Rinse in cold water.  Put cooled orzo in a large mixing bowl.  

Dress the orzo with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice.  Toss to coat orzo.  

Add the tomato, scallions, olives and basil to the dressed orzo.  Toss them through once or twice.  If possible, let the salad rest at room temperature for an hour before serving.  Just before serving, sprinkle the grated cheese over the salad.

YUM!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_recipe-exchange-favorite-vegetarian-dish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a09630c1-9787-4c75-b882-e5cc75d4dd14Post:d909c4dd-e4eb-4653-84a7-b9ca4b228adf">Re: Recipe exchange: Favorite vegetarian dish</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I don't have one to share. The only "vegetarian" thing FI and I eat is spaghetti with marinara sauce haha. </strong>But these are both great ideas and sound sooo yummy!! Perhaps I'll get inspired to cook something that isn't meat. Thanks ladies!
    Posted by MelissaC315[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>This exactly for me too. Only change "FI" to "H". haha.</div>
  • Options
    xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    Veggie Moussaka! (I've yet to master this)
    Time: prep = 2 hours, cook = 45 mins

Ingredients:

• 2 Eggplants
    • 1lb Potatoes
    • Can of Tomatoes (for veggie mous.)
    • Can of sliced mushrooms (optional: can of carrots/other veg)
    • 1 sliced capsicums
    • 1 sliced onion
    • 3 cups fresh milk
    • 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese (optional: 1-2 balls fresh mozzarella, sliced)
    • butter, olive oil, flour, breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, mint, lemon

Prep: can do prior and refrigerate…

1. Slice eggplants about 1cm thick and soak in salt water for at least 15mins. 
    2. Fry the eggplant in a pan with olive oil.
    3. Slice potatoes (½ cm thick), capsicum, onion & garlic.
    4. Boil potatoes until no longer crunchy (don’t let them get soft) and set aside.
    5. Remove eggplants from pan and let dry in paper towels.
    6. Fry capsicum, onion & garlic until soft, add mushrooms until soft. (opt: carrots/other veggies)
    7. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, lemon & dash of mint. 
    8. Add can of tomatoes to pot (thicken with flour) and mix veggies.

Béchamel (Cheese Sauce): must make immediately before baking…

1. Put the milk in a saucepan over heat and add a tsp. salt and 2 tbsp. butter.
    2. Stir until butter completely melted in. 
    3. Add ½ cup flour and stir vigorously with a whisk (should thicken after a few mins). 
    4. Add desired quantity of cheese and stir well with a wooden spoon (not the whisk!) then turn off heat. 

Bake:

1. Grease baking pan and sprinkle breadcrumbs.
    2. Pour about 1/5 of the cheese sauce into bottom of pan and spread.
    3. Layer potato, then eggplant, then tomato/veg
    4. Add more cheese sauce & repeat process until all ingredients used. (opt: Fnal layer sliced mozz.)
    5. Top thickly with remaining cheese sauce, then add grated cheese & breadcrumbs. 
    6. Bake at 350 F until cheese sauce goes a golden/deep brown (about 45 mins).
    7. Cool 15-20 mins before serving.

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards