Christian Weddings

I got into grad school!!

Well, I just got my official letter. I was accepted into grad school this semester.  Thats the main reason I moved 6 hours away from FI. Now I'm not so sure though. I haven't been able to find a job, and without a job, I can't afford tuition. It's over $4000 a semester - if I do 3 semesters a year (we're supposed to do summer semesters too - to get done in 2 years) Thats $12,000 a year. I do NOT want to get another student loan - in fact, I feel that God does not  want me to. There's so many things I can do with $12,000 a year other than spend it on myself. I'm having second thoughts about school now. If I even had $12,000 a year, I'd probably spend it on paying off my current loans or giving it to people who need it more than I do - homeless, foster kids, etc. 

I can wait a few semesters before I start, but I have to tell them now when I intend to start. Any suggestions? Should I just start now and get a loan, or should I start in January and hope that I get a job that will pay enough to cover tuition? I've been praying about this and I still don't know what to do.

Re: I got into grad school!!

• aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ok well I am just going to pose a few questions.

If you don't go to school how hard is it going to be to find a decent job?

If you get your masters how will that effect your ability to get a job?  What is the average salary difference with and without a masters?

I get that you can "give that money to charity" but also think about how much more you could give once you get your masters.  $12,000 is a finite number but what could that potential be if you get the masters (thus assuming you are increasing your salary potential)

If you go back to school do your other student loans go back on hold so you can pay the off after or do you still have to continue payments on your other loans?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • edited December 2011
    I think the whole - "you make lots more if you have a higher degree" thing is a joke. I know lots of people who have masters degrees. One works as a teacher's aide, one works at a gas station as a clerk, one works as a secretary at a nursing home.... 

Sure a master's degree would look good, but without experience, it means nothing. Right now,  think getting a job - any job (been unemployed for 3 years) would be more important than a degree, however, since the economy is so bad, employers are being more picky with who they hire, so people like me without experience or a degree are pretty much left unemployed. It's a vicisous circle.

And yes, the other loans I have go back on hold when I'm in school, but FI's don't. He's got a lot more loans than I have, and he's in the same boat as me. no job, no degree... can't get a job because he has no experience or no degree...

I promised FI i wouldn't go to grad school if it meant getting another loan. I'm just going to have to talk to him again. Our situtation has changed a lot since we talked about that.

• mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_got-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a6e2426d-edff-4ffc-9c40-bf06d332a31bPost:b4b79dc2-6833-4ff7-951c-8643808835cf">I got into grad school!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's so many things I can do with $12,000 a year other than spend it on myself.
    Posted by kalizoomba[/QUOTE]

I feel like that's a silly statement. You're spending that money on school (it's not like you're getting $12,000 worth of pedicures or something) and that money will provide for you and your family.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    Oh and congratulations on getting in! That's a huge accomplishment. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    I  just have issues spending money. I went on a Mission Trip to Mexico City last year, and spent $2500 for the plane tickets, hotels, food, etc. I felt that was spending on myself too - even if it was for others. 

Thanks. I -do- want to attend, just as much as I want to marry FI, I'm just so confused right now. I find it hard to even think about school when I still have more basic needs to meet. 
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_got-grad-school?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a6e2426d-edff-4ffc-9c40-bf06d332a31bPost:59e421d4-2999-4ab4-9b21-f0e13ae05474">Re: I got into grad school!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think the whole - "you make lots more if you have a higher degree" thing is a joke. I know lots of people who have masters degrees. One works as a teacher's aide, one works at a gas station as a clerk, one works as a secretary at a nursing home....</strong>  Sure a master's degree would look good, but without experience, it means nothing. Right now,  think getting a job - any job (been unemployed for 3 years) would be more important than a degree, however, since the economy is so bad, employers are being more picky with who they hire, so people like me without experience or a degree are pretty much left unemployed. It's a vicisous circle.  And yes, the other loans I have go back on hold when I'm in school, but FI's don't. He's got a lot more loans than I have, and he's in the same boat as me. no job, no degree... can't get a job because he has no experience or no degree... I promised FI i wouldn't go to grad school if it meant getting another loan. I'm just going to have to talk to him again. Our situtation has changed a lot since we talked about that.
    Posted by kalizoomba[/QUOTE]

That has a lot fo do with the economy as well.  Says the one with a Masters who couldn't find a job after moving....

Would your new program help you find a job?  Any Teaching Assistantships available?  Tour guide?  Admissions office?  Those options might not cover living expenses and tuition, but you may want to consider getting a smaller loan.  I know $12,000 is a lot of money, so I think I'd also have to weigh how much student loan debt I already had.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's always best to get your education finished, even if it means going a little into debt.  There are many grad students unemployed now, but when the economy eventually recovers, you'll have that degree.  It's true you need work experience, but masters degrees are becoming increasingly important in this competitive economy.  If you're worried about not finding a job, have you explored other avenues, including scholarships, financial aid, and TA positions?  What about jobs at the university?

Also, I would talk to professors or people in the administration, explaining your situation.  I had a friend who was accepted at Michigan, but they initially gave her no money.  She explained how she really wanted to go there, but couldn't afford it.  And through hard work and persistence, they gave her a TA position.  You never know what they might have available.  
  • edited December 2011
    yeah, i've been looking, I just got officially accepted today, so I'm not all the way in the computer system yet. They said come back next week and talk to them again.
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I was able to do my MBA while working and my employer paid for a lot of it.  So I didn't have any student loans at the end.  I'll be praying that God will give you wisdom to make the right decision.
  • edited December 2011
    congrats on getting into school. Honestly I don't know what I would do if I were in your place. I think that waiting a semester or two would probably be for the best because you need to save up money so you can avoid loans.
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    i wish I could find an employer that would pay for school, but I'd really like any employer right now. 

Thanks for the prayers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards