Christian Weddings

XP: Ugh, doctors...

Okay, so my H has been looking into joining the military. He met with a recruiter last week for this Office Candidate program. Well, today H received his medical records (so he could send them to MEPs to get his physical). He was looking over his surgery info (he had surgery to repair his torn ACL and miniscus last January), and he came across some information that NOBODY bothered to tell any of us. Apparently his doctor/surgeon knew before they started the surgery that his miniscus was irrepairable, but never bothered to tell H, me, or his mother. We were all under the impression that they repaired his ACL with a cadaver ACL and repaired his miniscus. At no time were we ever informed that his miniscus was irrepairable. EVER. Not before or after the surgery. Or at his follow up appointments, or anything. It was just completely hidden from us. H was looking over his records while on lunchbreak and discovered it. If he'd never read them, he'd never have known.

Well, H and I are now fearing that his military dreams are now bust due to this fact. He cannot technically be cleared by a doctor with this injury. And it obviously cannot be fixed, we were just never informed of this. Now, whenever he told me this, I was down-right MAD. This surgeon is a great surgeon, but obviously telling us that he had an injury that he could not repair was too much for him. If he would've just told us, we would at least know before now, when he's already talked to different recruiters from different branches, that his knee is still messed up.

I'm just...venting, I suppose. But really just shocked. I don't see why we weren't informed of this from the very beginning or right after the surgery, because I saw the doctor come into the room and say everything went perfectly. So I feel like we've been lied to.
the reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~nicholas sparks<3</center>

Re: XP: Ugh, doctors...

• MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately doctors are not always forthright and honest. I think we'd all like to think that they are all out there to help people and cure people (and MANY are)... but not all of them are unfortunately. Because of my medical condtion I've discovered a few along the way that were not exactly honest with me and got a second opinion because my gut told me that something wasn't right. Sometimes money is the bottom line; over care. It sucks and I'm so sorry that your H had to find out that way. That's not right esp. because surgery always comes with risks and it would have been better if he could have weighed the option of surgery or not knowing that it couldn't be repaired. I don't know all the rules and regs with the military but maybe he could talk to a recruiter and see what they have to say about it? IDK but I'll say a prayer that everything works out for him and that his dream can still happen for him.
  • edited December 2011
    Yuck...

Well, you know what? I'm going to pray it heals anyway. People get healed all the time from things doctors told them were fatal or irrepairable. Just because his file says it'll never heal doesn't mean it's true..

And if this does mean your H can't join the military, that just means God has plans for him elsewhere.

I'll pray both for healing and mainly for God's wisdom and providence as you and H pursue guidance for your future, whether as a military family or not.  God bless!
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear this! Sometimes I don't understand the actions of medical personnel. 

Regardless, I hope H can indeed join! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Like I said on the November 2011 boards, an irreparable meniscus is a REASON for surgery.  It's not a secret, it's why they had to operate on it.  Otherwise it would repair itself.  All that means is they took out or replaced the damaged part.  Which you were kinda aware of, seeing that there was a surgery and all, haha.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Ash61612Ash61612 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I work in the orthopedic field and a meniscus will not heal itself; it has no blood supply.

That being said, I am sorry this happened to your DH and he had to find out the way it happened. Remember, God always watches over us and will not put us through anything he doesn't think we can't handle. Praying for your husband. I am somewhat familiar with the military, can he get a waiver? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    That's terrible that the doctors withheld that information from you. 
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_xp-ugh-doctors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a76fc37e-5d75-4a93-a0c2-8882c52d077fPost:feb2865c-0a72-4693-895d-42873930bdef">Re: XP: Ugh, doctors...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Like I said on the November 2011 boards, an irreparable meniscus is a REASON for surgery.  It's not a secret, it's why they had to operate on it.  Otherwise it would repair itself.  All that means is they took out or replaced the damaged part.  Which you were kinda aware of, seeing that there was a surgery and all, haha.
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

His main reason for the surgery was his completely torn ACL, not the meniscus. We knew from the get-go that his ACL was torn and found out in pre-op appointments that his meniscus was also torn. So no, we were not aware that the meniscus injury was irreparable. We knew the ACL could be fixed (and it was), but we were never told that to "fix" the meniscus, they were just going to clean up the area.
    the reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. ~nicholas sparks<3</center>
  • BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

My 6 years were with the Canadian military, and so not sure if this is relevant...
    BUT
    There are certain jobs that they are able to look at putting someone with certain injuries. If he can still function (which he must be able to if he didn't know) then they might be able to look at a more administrative or support role.

• edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear that!!  Maybe the surgeon thought the therapist or nurse would tell you guys, and the therapist or nurse thought the surgeon told you?  Still, BOTH should have mentioned that.  Praying God's will be done, whether it means the service accepting him anyway, or His plans be carried out in a different manner.  Hang in there, I know it's frustrating.  Take a few deep breaths - praying for peace and understanding for both of you as well!!
  • edited December 2011
    That is definitely upsetting. Just pray on it, and whatever God intends will be!
    5/27/12
  • Go get a second opinion, even a third if you have to. It may not be competely repairable but it may be treatable & you might find someone to clear him enough to allow him a chance at the military.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards