Christian Weddings
Options

Question: Two people with one car?

I saw one of the women on here posted on facebook about having to share a car with H. DH and I are in the same boat. When we got married, I had enough money for a down payment but that money had to go else where since DH's job didn't start until July. So for now, we are a one car family. Right now I don't have a job so it's not a big deal but once I get one, I know it's going  to get tricky. Is there anyone else who has to share a car with DH and how do you manage?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Question: Two people with one car?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We both have our own cars, so I can not relate, however I will tell you the best time to invest in a car is January. Car dealerships lower all of their prices on new-used and year old stuff so they can rotate everything out with brand new cars. I got my car for 5K less than it was blue booked for at a Toyota dealer and it was a 2009 (I bought it in January of 2010). Someone gave me this advice a while back and when I went shopping for one I had no problem finding a good deal. I know it doesn't answer your specific question but I hope it helps a little :/ sorry you have to share a car!
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I will have to share a car when we're married. But because we live super close to his campus and that's where he works, it's not a big deal...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_question-two-people-one-car?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc34b340-0c6c-4144-9cf5-5c836a876686Post:e0ad640d-3a46-4dca-83f7-a2aefef6bc69">Re: Question: Two people with one car?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We both have our own cars, so I can not relate, however I will tell you the best time to invest in a car is January. Car dealerships lower all of their prices on new-used and year old stuff so they can rotate everything out with brand new cars. I got my car for 5K less than it was blue booked for at a Toyota dealer and it was a 2009 (I bought it in January of 2010). Someone gave me this advice a while back and when I went shopping for one I had no problem finding a good deal. I know it doesn't answer your specific question but I hope it helps a little :/ sorry you have to share a car!
    Posted by joie424[/QUOTE]

I was always under the assumption that the best time is August/Sept because that's when the new line is starting to roll in..
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We each had a car, so I'm not in your situation.  I have a few ideas though.

How is public transportation in your area?  Any chance you'd be able to get a job within walking distance?  Or bike-able?  New bikes are ridiculously expensive, but used ones aren't as bad.

I don't know if you're looking to get new or used, but purchasing a used car will save you SO much money. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There isn't good public transportation in this area and biking isn't  a good option either. We plan to buy used and we are going to start looking now to give us an idea of what we want.  Depending on our money situation we won't be buying a car until later this year or early next year. If anyone knows of someone who has had to share a car, please ask them about the experience for me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! This topic looks familiar! ;)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_question-two-people-one-car?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc34b340-0c6c-4144-9cf5-5c836a876686Post:0a6806aa-38d7-4bfb-a99d-4b8ba1d26b3e">Re: Question: Two people with one car?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We each had a car, so I'm not in your situation.  I have a few ideas though. How is public transportation in your area?  Any chance you'd be able to get a job within walking distance?  Or bike-able?  New bikes are ridiculously expensive, but used ones aren't as bad. I don't know if you're looking to get new or used, but purchasing a used car will save you SO much money. 
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

Oh boy do I wish sharing our car was that easy. There is NO public transportation here. My job is 15 minutes away by highway, and DH's (depending on what he is doing) can be up to 45 minutes by highway.

Matt's car has been at the shop since July 4, but they're backlogged and may not even get to look at it until today or next week. :P
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about leasing a car? We're about to get me a new car since mine is on it's last leg and we're looking into leasing since the monthly payments are drastically cheaper and I'll only be using it to go back and forth to work and the gym. We use DH's car for everything else now as it is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we share a car right now. My FI ususally works at 6 (about 20 minutes out of town) and i either work at 7am or 3pm. so i get up and get to his house at like 5:15am to take him to work by 5:45 then i go to my apartment and get ready for work (or go back to sleep if i work late or not at all). He is usually off at about 3 or 4... so i will ususally pick him up after i get off at 3.. unless i work at three... then he has to find a ride. we are really praying that we can get another car... because at the moment we have help with this family... but we dont know how long that will last. 
    we just have to make it work though. 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We shared for a bit when I wrecked my truck (oops).  The biggest thing was planning ahead.  We had to really communicate about schedules and whatnot so we could plan.  There were times where I just made sure I had extra things to do at work so I could wait for him to be off and pick me up, or he went in early so he could get me to work on time.  We also had to really plan ahead for days off, since generally H works weekends and I don't.  Making sure that the grocery shopping was done before H took off with the car for the day, or that I made plans to take him if I wanted the car, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got our first and only car one week ago.  I'll be the primary driver, and I'll give rides to DH on my way to school.  He's within walking distance of his grad school, so dropping him off when it's cold is no problem!  It's nice living in Boston where public transportation is an option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I share a car 90% of the time.  Right now both of our apartments are located near public transit, so its not too difficult, but in August we will be moving to the middle of nowhere.  My family has suggested that we look into buying a cheap used car(less then $2000) just as a backup car for if there is an emergency or somewhere one of us really needs to go.  We make sharing work by planning way in advance who will have the car for the day. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a car. FI uses his mom's when he needs to come see me. We live 6 hours apart right now. When we get married and he moves here, he'll bring his bike, and if he gets a job within riding distance of the apartment (and it doesn't involve him riding after dark) he'll ride the bike to work. We live within 6 blocks of the school, a few grocery stores, the post office, and pretty much anything else we need, so if he does need to take the car for something, I can walk to the store (i can't ride a bike, or I'd get a bike myself). We can always pick each other up from work or something if we have to, or one of us can probably get a ride home with someone if necessary (but not all the time --- unless they're not going out of their way to bring us home). 

I have a sneaky suspicion though that FMIL is going to give him her car when we get married though. She's mentioned it more than once, and she's been looking at cars recently for herself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards