Christian Weddings
Options

Vacation Prep :)

I am extremely pale. Imagine a porcelain doll if you will. Blonde hair, blue eyes, snow white skin...yeah it's crappy.  Anyways, I'm going to Panama, FL in Sept. Should I lay in the tanning bed to try to get a slight tan before I go to the beach so I don't get completely fried?  And what tanning lotions are your favorite? (Not self tanners)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vacation Prep :)

• Options
    sunbed's are dangerous, I wouldn't go near those... especially if you're naturally quite fair skinned - and going brown quickly will make you look fried.

try a moisturiser with a hint of tan in it for the next few months and it will gradually build up a natural looking tan on your skin :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_vacation-prep?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ccb4da22-dac3-412b-b576-2a71b558f286Post:e5a90ab2-7249-4bda-819d-b13a48cce886">Re: Vacation Prep :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]sunbed's are dangerous, I wouldn't go near those... especially if you're naturally quite fair skinned - and going brown quickly will make you look fried. try a moisturiser with a hint of tan in it for the next few months and it will gradually build up a natural looking tan on your skin :)
    Posted by jenningz[/QUOTE]

lol I actually work at a dermatology office so I completely know the risks of tanning beds. I don't intend on making it a permanent activity so I think I should be fine but there is always that risk. Laying out in the sun without sunscreen is basically just as terrible for your skin anyways. 

Would that wash of at the beach if I got in the pool or the ocean? I never used self tanners or spray tans so I don't know how well those last.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, if you use a lotion with tan in it it'll build up a tan on your skin - then you can top up in the sun when you're there?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I use a gradual self tanner (Jergen's).  It won't rinse off in the water. :)  The active ingredient, dihydroxyacetone (DHA), is absorbed into your skin cells and prompts them to make the tan color.  It's not like you're painting on the actual color.

Since you work in a derm office you know all about sunscreen.  Just reapply and spend plenty of time in the shade.  I know it adds up, but it's worth it to rent those umbrellas!  At least the big floppy hat is a one-time investment.  If I'm in the shade I'm lazy and only reapply once every two hours instead of every hour.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_vacation-prep?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ccb4da22-dac3-412b-b576-2a71b558f286Post:48ac9c37-350f-43b3-85d6-bbdf37851b5c">Re: Vacation Prep :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use a gradual self tanner (Jergen's).  It won't rinse off in the water. :)  The active ingredient, dihydroxyacetone (DHA), is absorbed into your skin cells and prompts them to make the tan color.  It's not like you're painting on the actual color. <strong>Since you work in a derm office you know all about sunscreen.  Just reapply and spend plenty of time in the shade.  I know it adds up, but it's worth it to rent those umbrellas!  At least the big floppy hat is a one-time investment.  If I'm in the shade I'm lazy and only reapply once every two hours instead of every hour.</strong>
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

Hehe they actually give us samples of stuff, sunscreen being one of them. So I'm set on the sunscreen :) We rented one of the umbrellas when we went to Myrtle this April. That thing was awesome. I loved it.

Where could I get a good floppy hat that doesn't look like something my Grandma would wear?  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of my floppy hats came from Harris Teeter (grocery store) of all places.  My other came from target.  It was an emergency purchase for my poolside bridal shower when I realized I'd already packed my HT floppy hat for the honeymoon.

HT hat (same one as in my avatar)

Target hat

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I have never even heard of Harris Teeter lol. I don't have a Target near me. The closet one is in Knoxville and I'm don't do so well driving on the interstate...I make other drivers nervous lol.

I bet TJ Maxx would have some floppy hats :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards