Christian Weddings
Options

NWR: For those who fly frequently....

is it best to book the flight early on or should we wait? We are getting ready to hit our 1 year mark from our wedding and we are going to start researching flights. I don't want to book to early and then find cheaper flights as time goes on. TIA for any tips and help!

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
Follow Me on Pinterest
Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011

Re: NWR: For those who fly frequently....

• Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is so unpredictable.  Where will you be going?  If it is domestic, I would fly Southwest because anytime the flight goes lower in price, you can re-book at the lower price for no fee.  We did that for our own HM.  We booked three one ways - Baltimore to Miami, Miami to Orlando, Orlando to Baltimore.  I kept looking at the prices after booking and the price for two of the legs went lower.  We were able to get $67 in credits each for a future flight.  Of course, you don't get the money back, but you can use it to decrease a future flight price and since we were flying a lot at the time, it worked out great for us.

Until recently I flew a lot (often).  Things have worked out so that I saved a lot by booking far in advance and in other situations, I wished I had waited.  It's just hard to tell.  I just don't understand how airlines price their flights.

In general, I would say that it is best to look is Tuesdays or Wednesdays and I've heard that prices are lowest just after midnight.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going from Roanoke to Miami. Thanks for the tips!

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nwr-those-fly-frequently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d85f6b77-4d33-45e1-b780-ea18e21fdb0cPost:7ba15ae1-869e-43d6-bd23-82a05ad32355">Re: NWR: For those who fly frequently....</a>:
    [QUOTE] In general, I would say that it is best to look is Tuesdays or Wednesdays and I've heard that prices are lowest just after midnight.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

<div>^ This is very true. If you're willing to wait a few days after your wedding, you do get much better prices on Tuesdays than on weekends.</div><div>
    <div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">I'm not sure about domestic flying, but for all of the international flights I've booked, I believe the cheapest price was about 3 months before the flight. Basically, they charge you extra for booking really early (because they know it's important to you) and they charge you extra for booking really late (because they know you're more desperate at the last minute). Go experiment with a website to see what date would be the cheapest if you booked the flight right now. That will tell you about how far in advance you should book.</div></div></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not exactly sure because my aunt booked ours because my uncle owns travel agencies and my aunt is a former travel agent. BUT I do know that if you wait until the last minute, it is VERY expensive. My aunt told me that my cousin decided he wanted to book a flight to North Carolina or somewhere about 3 weeks before he was going to go and she told him it would cost just as much, if not more, than my FI and I are paying to fly to Mexico, because he waited until the last minute (keep in mind, we live in Pittsburgh, which isn't too far from North Carolina, compared to Mexico). So yea, I would look at the sites or go with a travel agent and try to find the best price. Just don't wait until a week before your wedding haha. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards