Christian Weddings
Options

2 Weddings??? Help!

So my FI and I have been living together for a little over 2 years (and have slept together).  We weren't saved until pretty recently, but we have decided we want to dedicate our lives to Christ and make things right.  We got engaged in June, and had originally planned a June 2012 wedding (I got the dress, booked the location, photog, almost everything already, and put down some payments!).  However, we felt that God was steering us in another direction-since we're still living together, we want to get married right away so we're no longer living together unmarried. 

Which is great, however, we would still like a big celebration (wouldn't really be able to have that last minute since most of our family are scattered around diff. states), so what I want your opinion on this:  Is it weird if we get married now to still have our wedding in June since there's so much of it already paid for?  But instead of calling it a wedding we can call it a marriage celebration? (I would still wear my dress and everything and have a ceremony in front of family since we already got all the stuff).  Do you think guests wil think it's weird for us to have a celebrationi almost a year later?  Or think it's annoying that they might feel obligated to go to a "fake wedding"? 

Also, I need help planning the now wedding!  We decided to do it in two weeks, but are wondering how we can make a city hall wedding special?

Re: 2 Weddings??? Help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it is ok as long as you call it a vow renewal. Make sure that your guests are aware that you are already married.

oh, and maybe go out for a nice dinner after city hall?
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's fine *if* you skip the big poofy dress, tuxes, etc.  Do it more as a party.  I'm not a fan of the "redo wedding" that has become so popular these days.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

@ DramaGeek:  Problem is I already paid for my dress and the location for the bigger wedding!

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_2-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e0da7b4b-619d-4b26-85f6-ba8223614159Post:85595482-026f-4f1b-aaa3-cf94caa062d1">Re: 2 Weddings??? Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ DramaGeek:  Problem is I already paid for my dress and the location for the bigger wedding!
    Posted by jessiegirl61610[/QUOTE]

<div>This won't be a popular opinion here, and you don't have to agree with me, but that's part of being an adult - making the hard decisions.  In my opinion, you get one wedding.  You can choose to do that now, or you can wait until June 2012.  Waiting might mean moving out or finding a place with separate bedrooms, but you'd still get your big dream wedding.  Getting married now is instant gratification, but it doesn't come without sacrifices.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd say ideally just wait for your wedding, but beyond that peace of mind and getting right wtih God is way more important than people thinking it's odd. 

Any way you can couch surf for a few weeks, get the dress altered and move things up? 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My opinion is that you can get married now and have a celebration later, but I wouldn't recommend dressing up or doing a ceremony at all.  A reception would be fine as a celebration of your marriage but I personally feel that a vow renewal after just one year is kind of soon.  I understand your conviction and it seems like the other option is moving out and be willing to be on your own for the next year until you have the big celebration.  But like you said, you would lose deposits and take the chance that some family/friends wouldn't make it. 
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gotta agree with the girls-- if you're getting married now, I think you should skip the "big" wedding things for the celebratory wedding.

Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I'd just wait til the day you initally planned. But, follow your heart; only you can decide this!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's up to you, but I know of a very similar situation and the separate bedroom thing works amazingly well! I would do that and wait for your original wedding. But if you still want to do it in 2 weeks, I agree with PP's- have the reception celebrating your marriage next year, but don't do the whole ceremony again. Videotape the first one and show them if you want, haha. 
  • Options
    xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it an option for one of you to live with your parents or a friend? I can understand not being financially prepared to pay rent for another place

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards