Christian Weddings
Options

Prayers and possibly a pity party needed

I'll type fast as it's time for dinner...

My job at the school is NOT going to full-time status in the spring semester like I was told.  Just got that unfortunate news today.

Found a job posting for a full-time music teaching position in another district where my FI's work is, and the principal called me this morning about 1 hour after I emailed HR (apparently they have a shortage of applicants).  I would have to rent something for 6 months to work there, but it would be full-time with benefits, I think. School district isn't NEARLY as good and discipline problems are worse there, but the pay increase from 60% to 100% plus benefits and retirement would be nice, AND it is where FI's job currently is.  

I don't know what to do, but I am going to pursue the other position.  I love, love, love the school where I'm teaching now, but I just can't feasibly stay there unless something changes.  My parents are helping me financially AS-IS, so something has to change.

Thanks for any support, guidance, or prayers you can offer.  I'm at the end of my rope today.  Ah, emotions.  
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Prayers and possibly a pity party needed

• Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear things are difficult!  But maybe this is a blessing in disguise.  My mom was a special ed teacher in the poorest area of the big city we lived in, so I know what it is like for a teacher to deal with behavioral problems.  But it's a rite of passage for teachers, and you get the hang of it.  I always believed that that experience gave my mom the patience to be a mother, as well as deal with any other bad behavior from adults in the real world.  I  pray you'll make the right decision, no matter what you decide.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your kind words -- my parents are guiding me to go for this new job full-force.  I have to drive about 30-35 minutes to my current job, and this other one would be about 50 minutes drive from their house (which is where I currently live), but we also have a family friend who might let me stay with them during the week to save on gas possibly.  (and that family friend lives in downtown historic district somewhat near the school).   

60% without benefits... or full-time with benefits with FI's job in same town...  and we're getting married in July...  (Mom already suggested moving the wedding to february, haha!)   Hmm, maybe i'll pour my full attention into trying to get this new job.  The principal called me within 1 hour of my email to HR, and sounded really excited to get someone of my caliber applying (I'm in my 4th year with a masters and taught at some pretty high-achieving schools).  No one really WANTS to work in this district, and I didn't either until now... so hopefully something will work out.  Maybe it is for the best that I change schools mid-year, as much as I would possibly miss the staff at my school now.  Groan.  I hate applying for and resigning jobs.  I'm ready to be in one place for a while and build the music program.  It's hard walking into "revolving door" music classrooms, because the kids have no commitment and neither does the rest of the faculty, and this was the FIRST school I've been at where they realize what they need to do to keep a teacher there.  Unfortunately, HR doesn't realize what they need to do.  

I'm rambling and quite possibly being vain and complaining, so I'll stop... but I really appreciate the opportunity to share my pain and hear some kind words on this forum!!!  "When God closes one door, somewhere he opens a window..." (YAY Sound of Music reference!!) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I said a prayer. I think this is an awesome opportunity for you! Think of all the kids you can influence positively. If it is a lower income district with behavioral problems, you may be all those kids have. Maybe God wants you there to make a difference in these kids' lives. God is working through you. Go for it! You can do all things through Christ you strengthens you! Keep us posted.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all of your kindness and prayers!!!

I get this wash of peace every time a friend or family member says "I'm praying for you" (I posted only VAGUE request for prayer on FB because I can't go public with info until I sign a new contract with this other school district) ... yeah, I think God's working through you guys.  I consider this message board to be "friends" too, if you can imagine that, I know it sounds weird, but we share some of our highest highs and lowest lows while planning our weddings!!!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards