Christian Weddings
Options

Still struggling with church

I posted a while back about my trouble finding a home church. We've lived here for a year and a half and nothing seems to fit. The worst part is when I talked to DH about it, we discovered tht neither of us has ever really felt truly comfortable at any church we've gone to. (Granted, both of us are pretty shy and reserved, but still.) 

We were starting to go to what some might call a "megachurch" (4,000 weekly attendance, very much a "rock concert" style of music, lots of lights and even some smoke machines) but after a while I started to see their style as kind of materialistic. 

We've also been to several other churches in the area, and nothing still feels right.

I'm starting to feel really discouraged, and I don't know what to do.

Re: Still struggling with church

• Options

*hugs*  Finding a church is hard.  Are there any other churches in the Area?  Maybe try a denomination you have never attended before?  I would, of course, spend a lot of time praying about this.  God will help you find a place.  GL!

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I second the checking out other denominations thing.  If you've been sticking with pretty much the same denomination, trying a new one could be just what you need.  What have you tried so far?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We've tried pretty much every denomination I'm willing to try out.

The closest thing I personally ever found to feeling "at home" in church was the one I attended in college, which was a nondenominational church with about 300-400 weekly attendance and a good blend of modern and traditional music.

We did attend a LCMS (Luther Church-Missouri Synod) that had a contemporary service that was similar in style to my college church, but from what I have read, those kinds of services are not in line with the church, so I don't know.
  • Options

I would continue to try other denominations, even if you don't think you will like them.  Honestly you might be surprised and since you don't really like anything else, what is the harm?  Have you tried connecting with anyone at the church you like the most? Community is important. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I'm having the same problem, we've tried so many but I just miss my old church so much! :( I'm so sorry that you've been going through this for over a year, hang in there!! In the meantime, can you watch the service from the church you liked online?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_still-struggling-with-church?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e6279ad5-329d-47d2-bd8d-e0f5f56e86ffPost:6863fddb-5afb-4273-bfef-d167b81ac3f1">Re: Still struggling with church</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've tried pretty much every denomination I'm willing to try out. The closest thing I personally ever found to feeling "at home" in church was the one I attended in college, which was a nondenominational church with about 300-400 weekly attendance and a good blend of modern and traditional music. We did attend a LCMS (Luther Church-Missouri Synod) that had a contemporary service that was similar in style to my college church, but from what I have read, those kinds of services are not in line with the church, so I don't know.
    Posted by agape1cor813[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "not in line with the church"?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards