Christian Weddings
Options

Dress rehearsal question

I have never been to a dress rehearsal dinner.  Are the bride and groom expected to give a few words?  FI's dad who is hosting will be speaking a little, but I wasn't sure if FI and I are supposed to say something (besides thanking people for coming and giving thank you gifts to our parents).

Re: Dress rehearsal question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think their are any rules for it or against it. FI is saying something at ours but I am not.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that there are any expectations but I found the following suggestions online:

1.  Toast the parents of the bride and groom at the rehearsal dinner. It is customary for the engaged couple to show appreciation to their parents, bridal party or anyone else who has contributed to the wedding. The toasts should follow the main course during the dinner. The maid of honor and best man should save their toasts for the reception.

2.  Plan to present the bridal party with their thank-you gifts at the rehearsal dinner.

This is basically what we did at ours so I think these are good suggestions.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm I hadn't thought of this! Haha I guess we will say some thank-yous and give our gifts. 
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't say anything that I remember at the RD, but we did give the gifs out to our attendants and candle lighters then.  I did say a few words at the reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, we're planning to do our thank-yous and give our attendants' gifts out at the rehearsal dinner.  We want it to be a BIT more unstructured, because it's really a chance for the wedding party and your immediate family to get to know each other (because they don't always know everyone there).  So we are going to keep our a bit relaxed.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_dress-rehearsal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e8aa0e21-3a06-4b65-ac43-e10fc124ed4cPost:ba1cac18-a4ce-42d0-b744-2851a27d77ea">Re: Dress rehearsal question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, we're planning to do our thank-yous and give our attendants' gifts out at the rehearsal dinner.  We want it to be a BIT more unstructured, because it's really a chance for the wedding party and your immediate family to get to know each other (because they don't always know everyone there).  So we are going to keep our a bit relaxed.  
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]
    This is our plan too.<div>
    </div><div>I don't think anyone will toast but we will certainly say thanks to our bridal party, give out our gifts, cut the grooms cake, etc. We will give our parents their gifts too!</div>

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i didnt even think of this! haha. we are having a very laid back RD... but we will probably thank everyone and give gifts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards