Christian Weddings
Options

Help me with my hair

I made the mistake of telling FI about my hair. He's really picky, but not very helpful, if that makes sense.

I was originally thinking of doing a low, side pony tail with some curls. I have long, straight hair. I don't like the idea of an updo because it'll "hide" all of my hair. FI doesn't want me to have it curled, and he suggested a french braid, which I'm not too fond of.

So, basically, if you want to help me search for some pictures or just show me your hair from your wedding day, I'd appreciate it!
Pregnancy Ticker
2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books

Re: Help me with my hair

• Options
    edited December 2011
    what about half up? That won't hide your hair.

and darn it Sarah why did you have to pick the subject I'm bad at.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9548fea-c4f2-4335-bf05-d0a33032ad6fPost:10c4d425-9b6d-4a7f-84e4-120551fb694a">Re: Help me with my hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]what about half up? That won't hide your hair. and darn it Sarah why did you have to pick the subject I'm bad at.
    Posted by drama1308[/QUOTE]

My only objection to half up is that without curls it would look too plain.

Because FI is ridiculously picky! Hahaha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:e9548fea-c4f2-4335-bf05-d0a33032ad6fPost:55da7d20-436f-49a8-9191-9dd6c8080431">Re: Help me with my hair</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help me with my hair : My only objection to half up is that without curls it would look too plain. Because FI is ridiculously picky! Hahaha.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

True, I didn't think of this. *scours the vast resources of the internet* I will find something!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is what I've found
    http://media18.onsugar.com/files/2011/05/21/3/1712/17122846/d6/braided_hairstyle14_0.jpeg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9Zf_P9g6cuo/SY2njTKM1bI/AAAAAAAADFY/FiHa9EwFZkg/s1600/wedding%2Bhairstyles_10.jpg

imageAnniversary
  • Options
    kcadonaukcadonau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i dunno if i can be much help since i wore my hair up (it doesn't hold curls well) but if i think of anything i'll let you know!

what if you did a low side bun or something like that? that way it isn't totally hidden but doesn't have to look too plain either.
    Formerly yarmik89 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to put up your hair, it has to be curled I'm told.  Otherwise, it can look a bit flat.  

I really like the side ponytail idea.  Maybe he just hasn't seen any good photos?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wore mine all down with a flower but it was curled. I like the low ponytail idea. My MOH wore hers half up and straight with a bun looking thing in the back and it looked really pretty and sophisticated. 
  • Options
    Bett2012Bett2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A braid going into a side bun is cute depending on the feel of the wedding:

It would still be a bun like you prefer, but it incorporates the braid that FH likes.  You could play with the amount of hair in the braid to make it more or less prominent too :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had her bridesmaids in a hairstyle that might be a mix between what both of you like. The wore frenchbraids that went into a side ponytail. I thought they looked really pretty!

I hope you find something you love!
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you do half up half down with the crown of your head teased to give your hair some body and formality? Then, take a straightener to it to make your hair super straight and shiny! I feel your pain.. FI is picky about hair too and I'm worried about finding something that will make us both happy!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel your pain.. my DH requested that I wear my hair down for the wedding, but I discussed with him why that wasn't an option. My hair is too thin and won't hold curls for too long if held down and straight is too plain. Also, we were getting married outdoors on the water in late June and the humidity would have completely taken over my hair before the ceremony was even over. So, I told him I was getting an updo. When I came home from my hair and makeup trial and he saw what it looked lke he smiled and told me I looked gorgeous. Sometimes, the guys just don't know how to think outside the box and realize how much more elegant and beautiful a certain hairstyle will look until they see it on the one they love.

Plus, once you're coming down the aisle to him (or you have your 1st look whichever you're doing) the last thing he'll be thinking about is your hairstyle and he'll just be in awe that here comes his beautiful bride.

Pics in my married bio of my updo (and my siggy pic) plus one of my BM's had a side ponytail "up do" with curls and it was gorgeous. Maybe you can show him pics of my BM's and their different hairstyles, however they all had their hair curled in some way.

Here's a closer up pic of my BM who had her hair in the side ponytail with curls:

And here's a pic of the back of most of my BM's hairstyles:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I'd say just go with what you were planning.  I love the look of side ponytails as part of a wedding look!  And, you said that you're not fond of french braids, so I wouldn't add in anything that you don't like, since it's what you'll be wearing and how you'll see yourself in all of those pictures.  You feeling beautiful = you looking beautiful, IMO.

I feel like maybe guys think they won't like something, but end up not even noticing fashion type things in actuality.  I know this happens with DH and I all the time.  I'll say, "Hey, I really want to get a headband with a big flower on it." and he'll look at me like I'm crazy and say something along the lines of how he doesn't think it'll look good.  Then, when I go get one and wear it, he'll go, "Hey!  That thing in your hair looks really nice" lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I had your problem.... my hair is naturally curly. Very curly. I hate it. It's so bad that when I had it professionally straightened, it was curly again by that evening.  I like the side french braid thing. It's very similar to what I was hoping to do with my hair. (maybe i'm just biased?)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards