Christian Weddings
Options

Nervous about moving out (long)

I was debating whether or not to post this at all, but I thought that if anyone would understand, it would be you ladies here.  I think a lot of you guys have been in a similar situation to mine concerning living situations.

FI and I both live with our parents right now.  It's how we've managed to save up so much money for the wedding/honeymoon/setting up a household so far.  We have secured an apartment for us to live in after the wedding.  It is a good-sized, first floor, 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with water included in the rent, in a nice area of town, for a great price.  It's also in the same building as the model apartment, so there will be less noise and such from neighbors because we will have one less neighbor in our building.  It's a great apartment, it really is, but our move-in date had to be August 7 or they weren't going to let us secure it (that was the latest they would let us go).  With the wedding in November, I was hoping for an extra month or two, but it'll have to do.

Some background on FI and I:  I am a college graduate who works full time and happens to own a one-year-old queen bedroom suite, FI is a full time college student who works part time.  I am currently the primary breadwinner, and we will be using my bedroom suite as our bedroom suite in our apartment.  We do NOT want to live together before the wedding.  So, it makes the most sense for me to move in to the apartment before the wedding, and FI join me after the wedding.  After all, if we put my bed in the apartment, where will I sleep if I stay at my parents' house?  And if FI moves in, I'll be paying the rent for him anyway.

My problem is that I'm nervous.  I'm nervous about paying bills for the first time (and I mean a whole household's worth of bills - I've paid cell phone bills and car notes and such before), I'm nervous about being a single woman living alone (even though it's only for two and a half months), I'm nervous about dealing with my mom's inevitable my-baby's-growing-up breakdown, I'm nervous about dumping a huge chunk out of savings to buy furniture, I'm nervous that without a combined bank account with FI I might be living paycheck to paycheck, etc.  It's just uncharted waters for me and I'm feeling very stressed out about it.

FI has agreed to go ahead and combine bank accounts with me before the wedding so that I won't be so nervous about money.  Two incomes in the checking account are better than one.  He will also be spending a ton of time at the apartment so that I don't get too lonely or feel too unsafe.

I think what I'm most worried about is August 7 - November 19.  Living alone is kinda freaking me out.  Basically, I guess I'm asking for prayers.  And any advice anyone has for making the transition easier.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: Nervous about moving out (long)

• Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww don't be nervous! I don't do well either sleeping in an empty home. My last roomate before living with DH was gone a lot.. she was always traveling or off somewhere with her boyfriend so there were a lot of nights that I stayed at the apartment alone. It's weird and kinda freaky at first, but you definitely get used to it. I just usually fell asleep with the tv on and kept my cell phone on my bedside table.

Also, don't worry about the bills. They can definitely be overwhelming at first, but just make sure you prioritize and budget yourself down to the gas you put in your car and the groceries you buy each week. Try to cook a lot of your own meals instead of going out all the time to eat, and bring leftovers to work for lunch. Praying for peace of mind and a quick 2 months for you before your FI moves in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One thing to consider is that you don't necessarily have to move on August 7th.  Just because you sign the lease on that date, doesn't mean you have to spend the night there that night.  Maybe you take a few weeks to outfit the apartment with some necessities before moving in.  I know that paying for an apartment without living in it may seem silly, but it might save on some other expenses.  Your electric would be less, you can delay cable/internet/phone services, you can cut down on groceries while still at your parents' home, etc...  Also, where I live, August is WAY too hot to move!!!  
    So you wait until Say Labor Day weekend to officially 'move', and by then, time will be going so fast as you get all the last minute preparations for the wedding and your FI's eventual moving in set.  
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:82f2778c-1ce7-4e2b-88aa-cc97ce5bfde1">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>One thing to consider is that you don't necessarily have to move on August 7th.  Just because you sign the lease on that date, doesn't mean you have to spend the night there that night.  Maybe you take a few weeks to outfit the apartment with some necessities before moving in.</strong>  I know that paying for an apartment without living in it may seem silly, but it might save on some other expenses.  Your electric would be less, you can delay cable/internet/phone services, you can cut down on groceries while still at your parents' home, etc...  Also, where I live, August is WAY too hot to move!!!   So you wait until Say Labor Day weekend to officially 'move', and by then, time will be going so fast as you get all the last minute preparations for the wedding and your FI's eventual moving in set.  
    Posted by mmhepb[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with this. Also... don't buy furniture until your ready. It can totally wait. H and I waited until we had substantial savings/wedding gifts etc that we could buy one thing at a time. Just worry about getting your things in there and getting settled. Buying furniture may not come for a couple of months - H and I just bought a couch, after living together for a month - and he moved here a month before we were married! 2 months with no couch. I totally understand how you feel about being a single woman living alone - I did it for 2 years after college. I mean this seriously: it will take getting used to, but you will enjoy it. I was SUPER lonely at first - and spent time skyping with DH and parents, and after about a month I was loving it. It's really scary at first and then suddenly its not. Don't be afraid to go home or stay with a friend every once in a while if you are scared - I did that a lot in the beginning :)
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in your exact situation right now.

I've been living by myself in the apartment FI and I will live in after we're married since May 10th. And I'll be by myself until August 6th. It's not that bad living alone. It's different, for sure. But I wouldn't say it's scary. Do you feel safe in the neighborhood the apartment is in? Have you met any of the neighbors? Where I'm at, nearly everyone living in the building is a college student. There are some partiers, but for the most part, it's a bunch of quiet kids. I've met quite a few of them and know that if I was in any kind of trouble or emergency, I could ask them for help. Hopefully it's the same for you.

As for the bills, that had me freaked the heck out. I'm paying rent on a two bedroom by myself. Sure, I work full time. But still! And then I'm paying water and electricity and cell phone and car insurance. It got overwhelming at first, but I ended up calling FI to cry about it. After I was done crying, he asked me what I was going to do. I said, "Well, I guess I'm going to pay these bills." And that's what I did. :) Take a deep breath and relax. Try to plan out a budget. It might give you some peace of mind.

Lastly, I'm praying for you! You can do it!! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    kitkat610kitkat610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP especially with waiting to do things at your pace. I lived by myself my first year of college, and it was definitely scary at first, but of course I was 18 and invincible (lol) so that helped. One thing I would add is to meet your neighbors. It helps to see friendly faces when you get home. 
    Thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    Oh also, my apartment is pretty bare right now. I didn't have a microwave for the first month and a half of living there and there was pretty much nothing in the second bedroom. ;) You don't have to blow a whole bunch of money on furniture right away. You'll be gone from the apartment (working full time, seeing FI, seeing your parents, etc) a lot, so you can take your time shopping around for pieces. I'm a big Goodwill/St. Vincent de Paul fan for furniture, but that takes some serious time and patience.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:82f2778c-1ce7-4e2b-88aa-cc97ce5bfde1">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]One thing to consider is that you don't necessarily have to move on August 7th.  Just because you sign the lease on that date, doesn't mean you have to spend the night there that night.  Maybe you take a few weeks to outfit the apartment with some necessities before moving in.  I know that paying for an apartment without living in it may seem silly, but it might save on some other expenses.  Your electric would be less, you can delay cable/internet/phone services, you can cut down on groceries while still at your parents' home, etc...  Also, where I live, August is WAY too hot to move!!!   So you wait until Say Labor Day weekend to officially 'move', and by then, time will be going so fast as you get all the last minute preparations for the wedding and your FI's eventual moving in set.  
    Posted by mmhepb[/QUOTE]

<strong><u>Great advice!</u></strong> I never even thought to mention this to you! If you don't move in right away, your utility bills will be ridiculously low, and you can take all the time you want to set the place up and not be living there all by yourself for as long as you thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:14d90ff4-5c26-418c-8086-0a7503dd6391">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous about moving out (long) : I completely agree with this. Also... don't buy furniture until your ready. It can totally wait. H and I waited until we had substantial savings/wedding gifts etc that we could buy one thing at a time. Just worry about getting your things in there and getting settled. Buying furniture may not come for a couple of months - <font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">H and I just bought a couch, after living together for a month</font> - and he moved here a month before we were married! <font class="Apple-style-span" color="#ff00ff">2 months with no couch</font>. I totally understand how you feel about being a single woman living alone - I did it for 2 years after college. I mean this seriously: it will take getting used to, but you will enjoy it. I was SUPER lonely at first - and spent time skyping with DH and parents, and after about a month I was loving it. It's really scary at first and then suddenly its not. Don't be afraid to go home or stay with a friend every once in a while if you are scared - I did that a lot in the beginning :)
    Posted by joie424[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>i love this!!! My FI and i will be able to move into our little apartment on August 1st (our wedding is August 20th). Fi was worried that we wouldnt have stuff to put into our apartment (all we really have is a bed and a kitchen table with 3 chairs lol). He really wants to have a couch before we move in but i told him i am okay if we dont have one. He wants to start focusing on our finances (his portion of the money) into furniture... although we still owe a lot on the wedding. i let him know we can have the bare minimum until after the wedding and then when we have more money get some stuff. hehe. its cute how he wants our place to feel like home RIGHT on August 20th. lol. </div><div>
    </div><div>you've been getting some good advice, and i will be praying for you too. (: </div><div>i live with a roommate currently and FI lives with his family. My roommate is never home or stays in her room all day... i am NEVER home. lol. i go over to FI's house right after i get ready (like in the morning) or right after work. then i stay there all day long until i have to sleep. hehe. and then i sleep with my phone right next to me.. and sometimes i fall asleep with FI on the phone. it helps. lol. </div><div>about paying bills  - budgey, budget, budget  - that is the best advice i can give. (: write down whatever is due and the due date and choose which pay check will go to whatever bills. it takes some getting used to... but you can do it. (:</div><div>
    </div><div>oh the joys of growing up. lol

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking about waiting a while to actually start sleeping over at the apartment, especially the first couple weeks when we're still moving stuff in.  But once we've got a bunch of stuff over there, I don't want to not live there.

As for buying furniture right away, FI and I actually have a CD that matures in August and a savings account specifically set aside for that.  It's not that we don't have the money, it's that having those savings was a nice security blanket.  "If something happens, I can always tap into my CD or savings."  But we will have way less savings after buying furniture and that freaks me out.  I'm a big worrier, haha.

You guys are so awesome, I'm calming down already!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you've already gotten great advice on the moving and living alone.  I'll help with the bills :-)  How often do you guys get paid?  That's going to determine what my advice is :-P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad you're feeling much more calm about the situation. They gave great advice. I'm not getting married until next June but FI is already living in "our apartment" whlie I live at home with my parents. We split the bills already. I cannot wait to get out of my parents house - they're already going through the breakdown a year in advance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:c3006251-b362-4e3d-bb9e-ba1db019f665">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like you've already gotten great advice on the moving and living alone.  I'll help with the bills :-)  <strong>How often do you guys get paid?</strong>  That's going to determine what my advice is :-P
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    That's the part that really sucks.  I get paid on the 15th and last working day of every month.  So the days that I get paid get shifted around, affected by holidays, if the 15th falls on a Sunday, etc.  FI is a pizza guy who gets paid in tips, mileage, and wages.  His wages come in the form of a biweekly check.  His tips and mileage are counted out in cash and handed to him as he's walking out the door on the nights he works.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:25998b47-eb55-4a7c-a614-bf059c05f5e5">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh also, my apartment is pretty bare right now. <strong>I didn't have a microwave for the first month and a half of living there</strong> and there was pretty much nothing in the second bedroom. ;) You don't have to blow a whole bunch of money on furniture right away. You'll be gone from the apartment (working full time, seeing FI, seeing your parents, etc) a lot, so you can take your time shopping around for pieces. I'm a big Goodwill/St. Vincent de Paul fan for furniture, but that takes some serious time and patience.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

Wow!  I only made it two weeks witout a microwave.  I didn't have a toaster for quite a while until my grandma sent me money telling me I HAD to buy a toaster.

The first couple of weeks living by myself were pretty weird.  Keep busy!  You'll eventually get used to it.  IMO it's a very valuable experience.

As for paying bills, whenever you get one, write on the calendar the date it is due.  Then I count back 10 days and write "pay abc bill".  Organization is key. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:8db82f7d-b988-4a33-9a7d-ce72327f68a5">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous about moving out (long) : That's the part that really sucks.  I get paid on the 15th and last working day of every month.  So the days that I get paid get shifted around, affected by holidays, if the 15th falls on a Sunday, etc.  FI is a pizza guy who gets paid in tips, mileage, and wages.  His wages come in the form of a biweekly check.  His tips and mileage are counted out in cash and handed to him as he's walking out the door on the nights he works.
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

<div>Ok, here's what I do.  I get paid monthly, H gets paid weekly.</div><div>
    </div><div>The larger bills come out of my monthly check - mortgage, insurance, taxes. Half of the rest goes into savings, the other half goes to fun stuff, like getting my hair done or buying new shoes or a date night.</div><div>
    </div><div>Smaller bills come out of H's check - garbage, natural gas, electric, water, cell phone, internet.  I pay one of those each week.  I keep $200 of what's left for the week, $100 for groceries and $100 for incidentals like gas for the car or picking up something for the house, whatever.  Anything ove $200 goes into savings.</div><div>
    </div><div>This has helped us to A) ensure we always have the money for things that don't get paid very often, like property taxes and insurance, B) make sure we're saving, C) not feel like we never have any money because we use all of a check to pay bills.  It took a while to get onto this schedule but it really works for us now.</div><div>
    </div><div>In your case, maybe you could use your H's tip and mileage to pay bills, one per week, and your check from the end of the month could pay rent?</div>
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trust me, I understand this feeling! I lived at home with my parents for 25 years. The idea of living on my own was frightening. Luckily for me- I was already paying bills. Once I graduated college I was paying my father "rent" every month to cover food/utilities etc, I've been paying insurance, car, phone etc etc for a long time now. The only thing that was a real adjustment was being by myself. Like the girls said- take you time moving. You don't not have to move in immediately. But trust me- you will adjust to having your own place. It's sooo exciting to have your own space, to cook and clean and decorate and everything that it will keep you very distracted and happy. Once you really start seeing the final product-some pictures hung on the walls and stuff- you'll easily feel like that is "home" and you won't really miss everything else too much. But don't get me wrong- I still call mama every day haha.
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:318852e7-041b-45c1-aa22-aeabc521447f">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Trust me, I understand this feeling! I lived at home with my parents for 25 years. The idea of living on my own was frightening. Luckily for me- I was already paying bills. Once I graduated college I was paying my father "rent" every month to cover food/utilities etc, I've been paying insurance, car, phone etc etc for a long time now. The only thing that was a real adjustment was being by myself. Like the girls said- take you time moving. You don't not have to move in immediately. But trust me- you will adjust to having your own place. It's sooo exciting to have your own space, to cook and clean and decorate and everything that it will keep you very distracted and happy. Once you really start seeing the final product-some pictures hung on the walls and stuff- you'll easily feel like that is "home" and you won't really miss everything else too much. <strong>But don't get me wrong- I still call mama every day haha.</strong>
    Posted by SoonToBeGenao[/QUOTE]

<div>Shoot, I'm 30 and been married 8.5 years and I still talk to my parents almost everyday!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    the simpliest answer I see out of all youre questions "Where am I going to sleep back home?" When you return home for a visit, sleep on the couch, an extra bed? or make a pallett on the floor. Maybe you could get an air matress and put on the floor and sleep there. 

For everything else - sounds a lot like my situation. We're getting married in October, and I just moved into our apartment. I've lived on my own before (but moved back in with my parents) so I guess the bills aren't really that big of a deal to me. I've lived here for 2 weeks and still don't have a job. when FI moves in, he won't have a job either. My situation is a bit different than yours because I moved 7 hours from home and FI is still back there finishing up this last semester of school. He'll be done in August. He wants to move here sometime between August and October to get a job, but doesn't want to live with me.  

You wouldn't necessarily have to combine your bank accounts so soon. FI told me (and my parents did too) that if I need any money, just give them a call, and they will deposit money in my account. 

As for living alone, the only problem i've come across is that I'm lonely and miss FI, and my family. You still live close enough you can go visit them or call them if you need something. I don't answer the doorbell unless I'm expecting company because anyone who needs to get in will have a key. When I leave the apartment, I have my car key in my hand and go straigt to the car and lock the doors. When I get back, I take out my apartment key and go straight to the apartment and lock the door. I keep the doors locked always. My neighborhood seems like a pretty safe neighborhood though.

Maybe you could have someone call you several times a day to make sure you're still okay.  Other than that, TRUST IN GOD! He will supply ALL your needs. That's what i've been depending on for the past few weeks. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we were in a similar situation...  FI went ahead and moved into the house and I paid the bills.  he contributed when he had money, and kept up the house with cleaning and such.  we've done this for 6 months...  11 more days and we'll be married and I'll finally get to move in!  we waited to buy most of the furniture.  he actually just slept on the floor and then a mattress for a while, until we saved up enough cash to buy a bedroom suite.

are you both going to be using your account for puchases/bills?  because it can get really messy.  FI and I recently combined our money, and scheduling/synchronizing purchases and bills was kind of hard to figure out.  we decided to go on a mostly-cash system, and one person handles the cash...  that's me.  so we avoid writing checks or using the debit card, unless we tell each other and I can write it down and take it out of our ledger.  that way we know where we are at ALL THE TIME and we won't get overdrafts or anything. 

just because I was the breadwinner didn't mean I wanted to move out just yet.  it made more sense for FI to live there than for me...  and it's basically "our" money anyway, so what did it matter?  he gave me cash whenever he could and did a lot of work around the house to make up for it.  it all evens out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:54a632df-c370-4bd7-83ff-aa25b197134e">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous about moving out (long) : Shoot, I'm 30 and been married 8.5 years and I still talk to my parents almost everyday!

Haha! This is good to know - I'm 24 and I talk to Momma and Poppa everyday. Not for hours, but long enough because we're all still very close.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw, I totally missed this thread!  I have been BUSY this weekend.  Well, that and driving 5 hours back from SC yesterday!  

I moved out on my own after college and the biggest thing was to make a budget and stick to it.  It sounds so easy to say that, and it's hard to follow through.  Figure out when the income gets deposited, try to match that up with when your bills go out, and create a savings account where you can deposit "extra" money from each pay period to help pay for the once-in-a-while kind of things (insurance, property taxes, income taxes).  Also you may want to stay at home longer like a PP suggested - your utilities are SUPER low if you're not actually living in the place (just keep the temperature up during the times when you're not there).  Not sure if any of my post here helps at all, seems like so many others already offered some great suggestions and ideas.   :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:54a632df-c370-4bd7-83ff-aa25b197134e">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous about moving out (long) : Shoot, I'm 30 and been married 8.5 years and I still talk to my parents almost everyday!

<div>I'm 40, haven't lived with my parents for 18 years and I talk to my mom almost every day!  </div><div>
    </div><div>Sessions - I lived for about 15 years alone.  For most of that time I was in apartments but for the last 6 years of living alone I was in a house.  I almost had a nervous breakdown the day I closed on the house - I felt so overwhelmed by it all.  But it was fine living alone.  Did I get scared sometimes?  Sure.  Did I forget to pay bills?  Yes, once in a while.  You'll be fine.  On the nights that you are feeling uneasy, say a prayer.  That has always helped me.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I pay all of my bills now online.  It is so much easier to keep track of everything because I can schedule when I want the payments to be made and not worry about it at all.  It will be fun living in your new apartment!  And decorating it will be fun too.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_nervous-moving-out-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:f1a895f5-0e6d-48af-acf5-c3e822d28234Post:fb01e4cb-2477-4664-8cfe-a800bcbe838d">Re: Nervous about moving out (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aww don't be nervous! I don't do well either sleeping in an empty home. My last roomate before living with DH was gone a lot.. she was always traveling or off somewhere with her boyfriend so there were a lot of nights that I stayed at the apartment alone. It's weird and kinda freaky at first, but you definitely get used to it. I just usually fell asleep with the tv on and kept my cell phone on my bedside table. Also, don't worry about the bills. They can definitely be overwhelming at first, but just make sure you prioritize and budget yourself down to the gas you put in your car and the groceries you buy each week. Try to cook a lot of your own meals instead of going out all the time to eat, and bring leftovers to work for lunch. Praying for peace of mind and a quick 2 months for you before your FI moves in.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>All of this exactly!! And sorry I am late on this- been VERY busy! I will say a prayer for you! 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards