Christian Weddings
Options

NWR - Shoeboxes!

This afternoon my brother/roommate, FI, and I went shoebox shopping! It took longer than anticipated to get to the store and back because we took public transit, but it definitely saved us gas money. We decided to all shop for the same gender and age group (10-14 yr old Boys) so that we could buy some packages and split things. When we got home, I laid out all the goodies and started wrapping the shoeboxes. I got stalled after one box because I ran out of wrapping paper, but I'm still enjoying some Christmas tunes--it just seemed like the right day to start it! Apparently my brother only likes two Christmas songs--he's going to have to suffer for a little while...

Does anyone else pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child every year? It's been a family tradition for many years now. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's the website! 

Re: NWR - Shoeboxes!

• Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just had a huge packing party a couple of weeks ago. Our group packed over 60 boxes. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How did you wrap the boxes? I worked in the warehouse for OCC and I always felt bad when we had to unwrap people's shoeboxes to check them! 

We plan to go shoeboxing soon! I love buying the baby stuff! It's the only time I'm going to be shopping for that stuff in quite a while :)
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Don't worry, I wrap the lids separately! That's cool that you worked in the warehouse--have fun with your shopping!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used to do it all the time at my old church and I loved it!!  I'll have to get back on the ball.  :) 

I LOVE Winter Wonderland...but that's about it.  :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Last year I was lazy and just had them pack it for me online haha.

This year I am doing it through my church. I just packed my box the other day. Didn't wrap it though. Do you think I should? 
  • Options
    kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    If I'm using the red and green boxes they provide, I don't bother with wrapping paper, but these were ugly shoeboxes, so I wrapped them. :)
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did it last year and really enjoyed it!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many of ours were the red and green boxes, but the ones that we wrapped were separate lids and boxes.
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm determined to send one out this year! My local school districts also do something similar so I'm doing a box for each. I have a little girl for the local school district and I'm doing a boy for the international one.
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been doing them for about 10 years now.  I start my shopping after Christmas when everything goes 1/2 price.  I buy throughout the year to keep costs down and usually am able to do about 12-15 boxes.  I really need to find a place to drop off my boxes this year.  I even need the "tags" for the outside.  I could have gotten them at our Chick-Fil-A but they are closed for remodeling right now!  

I always use double sided tape and put the wrapping paper inside the box (I buy the clear plastic shoe box sized containers).  I don't wrap the lids because they are white so you can't see through them.  I have always been afraid of what would happen to the paper between my house and the kids.  Thats why I put it inside (hoping the paper would last better).

I can't wait to start hearing Christmas music but I want to get through Thanksgiving first!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI & I packed 2 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child this year. we had a hard time limiting what we bought to fit inside shoe boxes! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just found out today that if you pay for your boxes online, you can get a barcoded tag for the box(es) and track which country they go to.  

Our boxes:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards