Christian Weddings
Options

How much service?

Just curious what kind of service everyone is having?  Just Holy Matrimony?  Holy Matrimony tied in with another service?

Our church has a service called Evening Prayer that is really beautiful and not too long.  We're planning on doing that, with the Holy Matrimony inserted somewhere in the middle.  We get to sing more hymns this way. :)

I still worry a little that some people will think it's too long, but it's my wedding, not theirs.  That and 75% of the guests are from mine or my parents' church.

Re: How much service?

• Options
    WFHWFH
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it's ok for most of you, then it would be ok:)

But if you know someone, who may really turn "grey" because he/she feels like it is a big burden to bear (sitting there the whole service) then just tell him/her what time to come:)

We are just having holy matrimony but to make it more concentrated(I hope, I spelled it right - not a native speaker) on Jesus  we are going to ask a friend of ours to play and sing worship songs for about 15mins before the ceremony starts on an acoustic guitar:) And we will also encourage everyone to sing along. It would be amazing to come to a wedding which is firstl a worship party and secondly, a wedding:D
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what Holy Matrimony is, but maybe that is what we did.  We had a traditional wedding service with the charge (Do you take this woman to be your...), vows and exchange of rings.  We also had special music and reading of scriptures.  It was about 25 minutes total.

I personally don't like a long wedding service, but it seems like your guests will understand that the service is the way you want it to be.  I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    jacki_suejacki_sue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I don't know what Holy Matrimony is, but maybe that is what we did.  We had a traditional wedding service with the charge (Do you take this woman to be your...), vows and exchange of rings.  We also had special music and reading of scriptures.  It was about 25 minutes total. I personally don't like a long wedding service

Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

Yep, this!
    Jacki and Wes ~ 10.2.10
    Perfect love drives out fear.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry...holy matrimony is just the wedding service.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're just doing the traditional wedding service. My pastor says he hates to have ceremonies that last more than 30 minutes, but he tries to stay closer to 20. We've only picked out one song to use during the ceremony ("Sunrise Sunset"). My aunt will sing this song during the unity candle, just like she did for my parents' wedding. :) The processional/recessional/entrance of the BMs/parents/etc. are almost entirely Handel. (love him! My processional is from the "Water Music.") Anyway, since we're only doing one song, I figure after the unity candle, exchanging of the rings, and vows, the pastor will only have maybe a five or ten minute sermon. He called it a mini-sermon. I think he's going to talk on the "Wives submit [...] Husbands love [...]" verses, which we are having our MOH and BM read together.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to do the traditional stuff, with a few extras.  During the unity candle, we will have a friend play a song by Matthew West (which I discovered on this board!) and we are going to do the unity candle and have a foot washing ceremony.  Then, and I am not sure if this is before or after the kiss, but the first thing we do as a married couple is communion, officiated by my childhood pastor.  It is going to be AMAZING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards