Christian Weddings

Church/School debate

So while I was at a young adults group at church last night, somebody started talking about a piece of art that was given to the school (the church started a k-12 Christian school on its campus several years back). Just wanted to hear your ladies' thoughts on this, just for some good conversation and opinions. 

The school's mascot is the Eagles.  A family whose children go to the school donated 2 eagle statues to the school that are 9/11 memorial statues.  The larger one (that is HUGE--probably about 6 ft high) is one of only 11 made, and the smaller one is one of 50 ever made.  The statues are of an eagle holding up an American flag. 

Near the sculptures, they plan on putting a plaque with Isaih 40:31 engraved on it.

The debate we were having last night at small group is this: is a statue that is clearly a symbol of the American culture acceptable in a church?  Is it saying that only Americans can be Christian or can attend that church?  Does it say that the people of the church identify themselves as Americans first and Christians second?
Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview

Re: Church/School debate

• penny12986penny12986 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would oppose this merely because I think that patriotism and religion should be seperate.  Our country is made up of many religions and noting a biblical passage on a memorial statue would seem to be an affront to the people who died that were not religious and/or Christian.

This type of singling out happens all the time and can be looked at from many perspectives.  For example, when we say, "God bless America," are we implying that no other people be blessed?  A lot of it is subjective but I believe that faith and politics should always be seperate.
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a problem with it.  Although, I did go to a Christian university whose mascot is an Eagle...even though we're the Flames.  I never understood that.  But, anyway, I don't have an issue with it at all.  It's refrencing a God-breathed verse, recognizing the power of one of God's glorious creations.

We have an American flag in our sanctuary, and our AWANA kids recite the Pledge of Allegiance every Sunday night.  I don't see how this is any different.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it.  I see how people might.

Although I do believe church and state should be separate, the statues are at a Christian school in the USA.  I think a symbol/passage from Christianity with a symbol of the USA is fine, since those are both characteristics of the school.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it because it IS America. We shouldn't have to constantly worry that we are offending people for showing our patriotism of the country we are in. I do feel that there should be a separation of church and state, however this is about patriotism rather than politics.
    5/27/12
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am failing to see the major issue with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it at all.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011

"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord" ringing any bells?  Anybody?

I think the group may have been overthinking things just a bit.  There is zero problem with it.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not seeing where the problem is. 
    imageAnniversary
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't see a problem with it either!  I'm glad I'm not alone in that.  I felt like I was the only one in the group that didn't
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed - don't see a problem.  :)  Growing up, we went to a church that had the American and Christian flags on the stage (or whatever you call it) and hanging in the rafters all of the ceiling were all of the flags of the other countries.  Maybe your church could have some flags from other countries as well?  Although that's definitely not a have to - just an idea if your group still doesn't like the statues.  :)
  • I don't see an issue with it.  It's a private Christian school in the United States so they can display an American symbol with scripture on it if they so choose. If it were a public school then there would likely be an issue with the scripture part. All the churches I've ever attended stateside have always had American flags displayed.  I don't think the problem is in keeping patriotism out of churches or church run schools, but in keeping religion out of public secular gov't which is supposed to represent all people irregardless of belief.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • I would only see an issue if it was at a public school or at a secular private school. For a private Christian school, I don't see a problem at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards