Christian Weddings

Any Orthodox brides?

Re: Any Orthodox brides?

• GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm an Orthodox Christian bride!  We are far and few between, but I like to read this board.  I think various Christian denominations have similar values.  The Orthodox marriage ceremony, though, is so incredibly different, it would be nice to have our own board, too, to discuss the rituals.  What's your background?  Welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I am suprised I found one! Did you get your wedding crowns yet?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in a Greek church, so I'm using the thin stefana.  I'm actually going to use my parents' crowns.  I figured it would be my something borrowed or old, but I have to check with the priest to make sure it's okay.  A while back I found a great website with beautiful stefana, at least the Greek kind. Check out Portara, but their website is down today for some reason.

Btw, have you found good candles that don't drip wax?  I want to make sure I don't get wax on my wedding dress!

When are you getting married?  For me, it's nine months from now in May 2011.  Just this past week, my fiance and I had our first premarital counseling session with our priest.  I was a bit nervous beforehand, but it went great.  But I'm still a bit clueless of some of the details of Orthodox weddings, like how people walk down the aisle, if there is even a kiss at the end, what music is played, etc.
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Orthodox here as well.  Russian Orthodox :)
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are having a non denominational ceremony and then will be doing a blessing in the Greek church. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    Im greek orthodox marrying a greek orthodox in 2 weeks :)

our koumbaro bought our stefana from orthodoxweddingcrowns.com

i dont think your allowed to use another persons stefana.... cause it was blesses for their marriage.... its like wedding bands... you cant use another persons band b/c it was blessed for their marrage.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Re: the stefana... hmmm, that's too bad.  I thought it might be okay based off My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  Remember that scene where the grandma gives her stefana to the main character?  I'll ask the priest, too.

• edited December 2011
    UGCC here! so same ceremony :) My fiance is Ukrainian, and although I am not I have been Eastern Christian for a couple of years.
    Question - our priest actually suggested we make our own crowns - does anyone have any idea how to go about doing this? I am a convert, no one in my family has had to do anything like that before...
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, making your own crowns would be difficult. Just order them...haha.
  • edited December 2011
    I am Greek Orthodox marrying a Prebyterian in the Greek Orthodox Church. Our koumbara brought our stefana back from Greece, but if you need anything else, please feel free to ask. I am 52 days out, so I have gone through most of what the church requires and setup my wedding programs and found some beautiful text describing the different moments in the ceremony. Please ask if you need ANYTHING!

Happy Planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Russian Orthodox bride here! Glad to find some more girls out there :) We'll be getting married in a Greek Orthodox Church. My side of the family are all Protestant so this should be an adventure! :) lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards