November 2012 Weddings
Options

Invite mailing

Hi

I am going to start my DIY invites hopefully this week and have them ready to go, stamped, addressed for the end of July.

When are you all mailing out your invites and what date are you writing on your RSVP?

I do agree with the Knot's 3 month mark to mail them out, due to postal delays, distance, giving people a chance to check their mail.  So we are getting married Nov 17th, I figure early August I'd mail them so people will have them for mid-August.

For the RSVP I figured I'd write down Sept 17th.  I didn't know if that was too early.  My venue wants a final headcount 1 month before (Oct 17th)...so that would give me 1 month to track down the inevitable missing RSVPs...

Does that timeline sound ok?
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
My BFP Chart
|| Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013

Re: Invite mailing

• Options
    And on that note, when I printed a test invite last night I looked at it and had that moment of "holy crap I am getting married!" followed by "holy crap we are now in the 4 month mark technically and things are starting to require attention now!"....panic, lol
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    haha, I have that panic moment everytime I get another check off of our list. We purchased our wedding bands last weekend, and that definately made it feel real!

Our wedding is November 3rd. Sending invites around September 1st, with an RSVP date of October 1st.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, similar to what we are doing, I'll leave my dates as is for the invites.

We are supposed to get our bands next week.  FI's band had to go back, they didn't like the way it turned out.  But I am super excited to see them!
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    Getting Married Nov. 17, Sending Invites out September 1st, Response card is dated for November 1st.  Our Caterer needs a head count 2 weeks before the wedding, so it gaves us some more time for our guests to respond. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi,
    OP I think early August may be a bit too early to send them out. Maybe push it out a little and give yourself 2 weeks to track people down? From what I've read, if you give people too much time it increases the chance of them putting it to the side to do later and then losing it or whatever.  Ultimately it's up to you of course. I'm planning to send mine later and my date is one week earlier than yours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Your RSVP date seems a bit too early to me. I would aim to send them around the end of August if you want to send them on the early side
  • Options
    International invitations will go out 10 weeks prior. Domestic invitations will go out 8 weeks prior. More or less.

RSVP date is 3 weeks and 3 days before the wedding. The wedding is on a Monday. The RSVP date is on a Friday, so we theoretically have 3 weekends to track people down before a final count is due to the caterer.

Though our catering contract is a bit ambiguous on when they need a final count. Part says up or down by 10 is needed 2 weeks before the wedding. Part says the final headcount is due 3 business days before. We're having a buffet, so I guess that gives them and us some flexibility.
  • Options

Our wedding is 11/17 and we plan to mail ours out around 9/17 with an RSVP date of 11/2.  6-8 weeks ahead is plenty of time to notify guests and unless you have to have a firm head count at an early date I see no need to have the RSVP date more than 2 weeks or so.  On that note, I see your venue wants a count a month in advance.  That's ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I plan my calendars far out and no pretty much right away when I get an invitation if I can attend or not, but most people do not.  That is why I am giving my guests until 2 weeks before to reply.  Then I'll have a week to call guests who did not reply.  But our caterer doesn't need a headcount so soon. 

• Options
    My wedding date is for November 24th, which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I will be sending out my invitations probably around the beginning of August and have requested for a Sept 1st reply date. I know that this seems way too early, but not only do I work full time, but I am also starting my final semester of college in August (with a major paper to write) and we have family plans that fall in the end of September (marking the 10 yr anniversary of my bio-fathers death), so this allows me the time I need to get the RSVPs in but also the time for me to track down the late responses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah when I spoke to them about it all last week they said word for word "headcount and full deposit is required 3 weeks before but 4 weeks is ideal".  I don't know if it is where they are busy for Christmas parties then as well (yes, yes they have Christmas parties in November, I had to tell them no Christmas decor to be out!) or if that is just policy all year round.
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    Our date is 11/24 and when I checked with the venue they wanted to have a head count 2 weeks before, and recommended I do an RSVP of 11/1. We will send out invites Sept 1. I don't want to send anything too early so people forget about sending the RSVP back. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I'm getting married 11/17 as well.  We are sending our invites 9/1 and are asking for responces by 10/17.  Our venue needs a head count 2 weeks prior.  So I'm giving myself a little over 2 weeks to track down people who didn't RSVP.

If after 2 weeks I still don't have responses from people who haven't RSVPed they are being counted as a "No".  Then if I hear from them after the due date I feel like I can always add. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_invite-mailing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:5563c73c-0e46-46cd-a251-621be84e7e1ePost:cbb117bd-e1cb-4220-91a1-bd645b878859">Re: Invite mailing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married 11/17 as well.  We are sending our invites 9/1 and are asking for responces by 10/17.  Our venue needs a head count 2 weeks prior.  So I'm giving myself a little over 2 weeks to track down people who didn't RSVP. If after 2 weeks I still don't have responses from people who haven't RSVPed they are being counted as a "No".  Then if I hear from them after the due date I feel like I can always add. 
    Posted by Silverfirec[/QUOTE]

This!
    I am doing exactly this as I am a 11/17 bride as well
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Our date is 11/17 and we are doing an RSVP by 10/1 because we have a backup list of invites
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards