November 2012 Weddings

Stressed about the Dress

When I bought it in July, I LOVED it. I ended up buying up a size because it was tight around the bust. Fit perfect everywhere else! I figured I'd get it altered and it would look just like it had when I put it on :) Doesn't look like that will happen...
I took it on Sat. and literally cried as the alterations lady was pinning. Mistake #1- I went by myself. My mom/bridesmaids are half the county away, they were with me when I bought it, really could have used that support...
I'm frusterated about the hips, they are loose. The alterations lady said it shouldn't be brought in because it will ruin the A-line. When I tried it on it gave me this awesome shape! Hips and booty looking great :) Now it just looks like, well, nothing. The halter is being brought up so the bust fits well, I'm having an inch taken off the bottom since I'm wearing flats (beach ceremony), and I need a bustle. Only problem is, I hated both choices she gave me, outside/inside. They both make it look like I have a fan on my butt.
I spent way more then I had planned and now I'm just feeling down about the whole thing :( I can't afford to buy another dress, but I don't want to look at myself and feel "blah" on my wedding day...
11*23*12 95image 38image 28image

Re: Stressed about the Dress

• I'm really sorry you feel this way :( I would suggest two things:

1. Try going to a different place to get a second opinion on alterations. I was told by one seamtress that my dress couldn't be taken in because of the corset back, but another person did it for me and it now looks great. I don't see anything wrong with shopping around; and

2. Ask a good friend who you trust to go with you. Sometimes we put tons of pressure on ourselves during this wedding planning time and don't realize that we look great when we do. Ask a friend you trust to give his/her opinion. It could go a long way to making you feel more confident or realizing that you look amazing after all!

Btw, I feel your pain on going it alone. My mom and sisters live in different states, so I've been doing all of my dress stuff by myself. It's tough.
  • Are you having it altered at David's Bridal (The pic looks like a DB store)? I've been told that thier are certain alterations that they will not do because they are contractually obligated by the designer to not make certain changes. I'd take it to another seamstress and talk to them about what they can do. You still have time and it might cost a bit more, but at least you will get what you want and feel good in your dress. 

Also, the actual alterations arn't finished right? It really might just turn out fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • edited September 2012
    I bought it at DB's but am not having it altered there. I hadn't heard very good things so decided to go with a small local shop. Maybe I'm just over reacting but it's hard.. I've lost 15lbs since I bought it in July and just keep kicking myself for listening to the sales lady and buying the bigger size...
    11*23*12 95image 38image 28image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_stressed-about-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:923a22f5-3be0-40cc-b70b-ad82f9f9c01dPost:fafe20ac-5062-4401-85ce-fa13b31b2286">Re: Stressed about the Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought it at DB's but am not having it altered there. I hadn't heard very good things so decided to go with a small local shop. Maybe I'm just over reacting but it's hard.. I've lost 15lbs since I bought it in July and just keep kicking myself for listening to the sales lady and buying the bigger size...
    Posted by asmithpoulin[/QUOTE]

Hi - I agree with other posters that you should try another seamstress and try to stop beating yourself up. I think it's much better to have bought the dress to fit up top and to now find someone who is willing to take in the bottom for you than it would have been for you to have had to worry about the top being too small- that would not have been good. Your dress is lovely. Don't give up!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You went one size up, so there should be no problem getting it to fit like your sample - you can typically take in a dress several sizes.  I agree with PPs that you should a) make an appointment asap and bring someone with you (you might just be overly critical of yourself) and b) if the friend agrees that it doesn't look right, find another seamstress asap.  You still have plenty of time so don't worry too much - it will be okay!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • You still might have time to exchange it for a different size. (if you bought it from David's bridal)

I was freaking about about mine also and I was told I can exchange it for a different size if there was time or get a sample dress for the same value. But my dress ended up working out. I took it to my mom's house (she wasn't with me when i picked it up) and she made me take the corset bra off and all way good! (my dress is corset also)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards