Wedding Woes
Options

Broke up - how do I sell the ring?

Broken relationship, left with $10,000 ring - 1.35ct solitaire, all the certifications. How in the world should I go about selling this and trying to get at least some of what we paid out of it??

Thanks girls!
Amanda

Re: Broke up - how do I sell the ring?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for your breakup.  It's very hard to sell used rings.  You may do better if you trade it in for something else.  That said, Craigslist and other places work.  You never know.  But I think a lot of people shy away from used rings.  Sad because they are a great bargain!
    Our Wedding Day
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would sell it to a jewelry store, myself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    agoodwin22agoodwin22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do they "buy" them back?
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, just don't take it to a pawn shop. Take it to an actual jewelry store.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    go to the store where it was purchased and see if they will *buy* it back or allow you to trade it in for credit. also find reputable jewelers in your area who would be interested in purchasing. do not use a pawn shop.

you could always have the stone reset into a pendant or a right hand ring for yourself. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Give it back to the guy. You are suppose to return the ring if you break up.
  • Options
    Belle2BeBelle2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe under Ohio law it is considered a conditional gift, and you are required to give it back to the purchaser. If you paid for it, of course, its a non-issue, but its something to think about before you sell it or whatever.
  • Options
    jdkarstenjdkarsten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  If you can, the only store that can "buy" it back is the original store chain that you bought it from.
    I ended up actually just selling the diamonds to a jeweler from my first wedding.
    Since I had all the certificates and everything I was able to get quite a bit back.
  • Options
    MermaidChickMermaidChick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Well, first things first. I would contact the jewelry store and see if they have a buy back policy. If they don't, then I would try selling it to a certified store. If that fails, then I would list it on either craig's list or an auction site, but never disclose your location to any potential bider/buyer. The pawn shop may be your last resort but you will never get close to what you paid for it.

Unfortunately, you may just be stuck with it.

On a side note, some places if the break up was in advance will drop whatever contracts they had with you and not make you pay the balances owed, but will also not give you your money back. Check that out as well.

Good luck,

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had the diamond removed from hers and placed in a necklace and then had her birthstone set in the ring. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_broke-up-sell-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0302055a-5d12-444d-9a78-2342763ec3c6Post:a5fa8547-3cf0-4fc1-b3f4-aa2af6ab9a67">Re: Broke up - how do I sell the ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe under Ohio law it is considered a conditional gift, and you are required to give it back to the purchaser. If you paid for it, of course, its a non-issue, but its something to think about before you sell it or whatever.
    Posted by Belle2Be[/QUOTE]

This is what I was just going to say.

The ring is not a gift, it's conditional.  You need to return it to your ex FI.    Please make sure he's not going to ask for it back before you sell it.  If he does and takes you to court, you will be paying for the ring.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards