Washington-Seattle

Thank you cards

Did/Will yours match your invitiations?

I wasn't prepared to have to send them so soon, but the gifts are rolling in.  Wanted to have a cool thank you card, but now i just feel pressured to get them out in a timely manner.  knowing how long it takes me to come up with a  design concept  and execute, DIY is probably outta the question.

Re: Thank you cards

• edited December 2011
    Nope, not likely.  We plan to choose one of our pics from the wedding for a photo thank you card (we had some taken with us holding "Thank You" signs).
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ours didn't match the invitations either. We used shutterfly to make ours using pics from the wedding. 

• amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we did the photo "thank you" card so it didn't match our invites. 

FWIW, I don't think you need to send TY cards until after the wedding, even if some gifts get sent before.  But this is different for every cirlce of friends/family, so do what seems common amoung your group.
  • edited December 2011
    yeah i wanted to do the wedding photo TY card as well. but i thought it was bad manners to send them three monts after gift is received. hey if somebody says its ok to wait that long, im all for it...i have other more pressing things to plan for right now.
  • amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I know some people on TK disagree, but here's my thinking:

- thank you cards are usually sent after an event
    - the person knows they sent it 3 months in advance of the actual date (we didn't get any that early though), they probably just wanted to make sure to pick what they wanted
    - I don't open birthday gifts before my birthday, so I didn't open wedding presents before my wedding
    - I also thought it would be weird to send one TY for the gift and then another after the wedding for coming

The only exception I made was for cards that had checks, but that is because I feel it's important to deposit/cash checks asap because it messes up balancing your check book.  And I feel it's weird to deposit a check (and they'd know you did so) without saying thank you. 
  • jennlinjennlin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto amandasw...pretty much word for word.

and yes, mine matched my invites. same paper...we stamped the back of the thank you's, and the invites had stamps under the vellum...same ink color of the stamp... (invites were stamped with the chinese word "double happiness", thankyou's were stamed "thanks" in chinese).
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made some that carried forward some of the themes of our invitations, with one of the fonts.  I used these mostly for shower gifts, and any gifts received up to about a month before the wedding, then I cut them off.  TY cards sent for anything received after that point will get cards with a photo of us at our wedding.  Also, if someone sent a gift for the shower, and I send TY card number 1, then I held off on sending their wedding present TY card until I have our wedding photos back.

I generally don't like to wait months to send a card not just because of etiquette but because I know I like to receive a TY card within about a month or so of sending a gift - so I know the recipient got it, mainly.
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for all the feedback.. im with you carrie on sending the card so they know its received.  i guess i will just have two different TY cards and im fine with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards