Wedding Woes
Options

So Romney didn't know any women before becoming governor?

In all of his years of business experience he didn't run across a single woman capable of serving on his cabinet and had to ask women's groups to send him names?  For realz?  And he is proud of this?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: So Romney didn't know any women before becoming governor?

• Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think he said that employers weren't willing to hire women because women need flexible work scedules. those monthlies will get you every darn time!
  • Options

It's true.  I can't bleed and work at the same time.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I have to be honest though I didn't get warm fuzzies from Obama on this either.  It seemed like he needed to "take care of women" not advocate for equality.

• Options
    I thought Obama dodged the question a bit by making it about Planned Parenthood and the war on women.  However, he did speak about Lilly Ledbetter and I appreciated that.

But Mitt talking about "flexible schedules" so Mom can get home to make dinner pissed me off on all sorts of levels. Not every damn female in the world is a mother, wants to be a mother or is a wishing to be a SAHM. I don't need a flexible schedule, but I sure as hell would like equal pay for my work, access to contraception, control over my own insurance, etc. 
  • Options
    His wife doesn't have a housekeeer???

I think she probably does.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    V, the flex schedules thing pissed me the hell off. it's an issue of discrimination, not of women in the workplace. not all women have children, and not all women are the primary caregivers. it doesn't take into consideration single fathers who need flex work schedules either. so lame.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

re: equal pay - I don't understand why anyone would ever be against this. 

If you are one of those poor, unfortunate husbands whose wife has to work or demands to work even though you could scrape by on a single salary, wouldn't you want that wife to be paid what she is actually worth? 

• Options
    Wz, you probably saw I posted about that too; that statement of his just assumed all sorts of 1950s standards of genderhood for both men and women.

I'm pretty sure all of the dads I know would love to be more flexible so that they could spend more time with their kids too.  And I'm still furious this country doesn't have paternity leave for men.  Not only would it probably be easier on Mom to have Dad around, but they might like to see their new babies for awhile too.

DG, it's not that anyone is "against" equal pay.  The argument is usally that the discrepancy doesn't exist.  Or, if they will admit it exists, it's there b/c women take time off from the workforce to be mommies and care for/raise children.  Or that they choose careers that tend to be lower paying anyway.
  • Options
    I thought Romney's answer was all kinds of lame, especially since it didn't specifically address the question about equal pay for equal work.  So you hired some women and gave them flexible schedules so they could be there in time to meet the school bus, BFD.  Didn't address the question, and to V's point, what if they don't have kids and don't give a flying f-ck about when the school bus drops off?  What if the dads want to meet the school bus?

I'm sure he was confused about why they didn't just tell the nanny to do it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_so-romney-didnt-know-any-women-before-becoming-governor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:09ee7394-6331-4cfc-b283-8601b599d9cePost:466e05f6-cdb5-4704-9526-68658d9bac81">Re: So Romney didn't know any women before becoming governor?</a>:
    [QUOTE] But Mitt talking about "flexible schedules" so Mom can get home to make dinner pissed me off on all sorts of levels. Not every damn female in the world is a mother, wants to be a mother or is a wishing to be a SAHM. I don't need a flexible schedule, but I sure as hell would like equal pay for my work, access to contraception, control over my own insurance, etc. 
    Posted by VarunaTT[/QUOTE]

I played with my new foster rabbit instead of watching the debate, but did Mittens ever say why Dad wasn't going home and making dinner?
  • Options
    Of course not Kuus, he is at the office until 8 PM. He doesn't do that, only women do.
  • Options
    You know, i really don't care if men or women want to be in a traditional 1950s style relationship/marriage.  That's what feminism, to me, was about...having a CHOICE in your life and then had to delve into, "Well yes we wanted choices, but real choices, not the BS you're pandering to us" choices.

But just b/c YOU might want that, doesn't mean it's the right answer for everyone else too or even can be the answer for everyone else.  When Romney got on his soap box about "2 parent families" I was hopping mad for single families, grandparents raising their grandkids and gay families everywhere.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    i like the picture i have been seeing on FB, "i got binders full of women. i got hoes in different ara codes."

the man is so out of touch, and seems like he's part of that generation that needs to go away so modern families can live their lives as they see fit. i don't even think this is a GOP vs. dem issue, either - just that times are a'changin and so far, the GOP hasn't gotten that memo.

maybe it's stuck between 2 pages in romney's binder?
  • Options
    My favorite related meme:

• Options
    I think that is the best one, Kuus.  So wrong and yet so funny.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards