Wedding Woes
Options

SMRT.

No Brownies at Bake Sales, but Doritos May Be O.K.

Nine months after effectively banning most fund-raising food sales in city schools, a city panel will vote Wednesday on an amended regulation that will allow student groups to sell items like Pop-Tarts and Doritos during the school day, but not brownies, zucchini bread or anything else homemade.

The new regulation is meant as a compromise between the city’s concerns about childhood obesity— which they cite as the reason for the restrictions — and the fund-raising needs of student and parent groups, some of which are struggling amid difficult economic times, especially after losing one of their most lucrative sources of revenue.

Whole article here. <~~~~~~that word is clicky

Morons. "We don't want kids to get fat, so let's give them Doritos and PopTarts!" Excellent. Brilliant minds in the NYC Nannies Department. 

Re: SMRT.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would think that the food allerigies would be more of a concern in regards to homemade food. This is why I don't want my hypothetical spawn going to an NYC public school.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Food allergies, I would get. Although bake sales were the highest-profit fundraisers, and AFAIK, most schools require allergy labels on baked goods - I know Bacon's school does, just a little note with the item that says it has nuts or milk or whatnot. 

This plan eats into the profits for the schools, too, which is an even bigger concern about a school fundraiser. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Christ on a Cracker. I mean, if there were concerns about homebaked goods being tampered with, I could see that. ^^^That, is a mess.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. Way to send the wrong message about proper eating habits. I can't believe a room full of people thought this was a good idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, Duckis, they can also sell fruits and veggies - but what's the likelihood that someone laying out coin for food at school is going to pick an apple? 
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_smrt-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0cee92b2-a600-4fb9-89bb-8d83f89d0280Post:323b14cf-7ed0-44a8-b8b5-d9a0d2fd85bd">Re: SMRT.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Christ on a Cracker.
    Posted by MinM[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, it's not permitted if it's <em>homemade </em>Christ on a Cracker. It might contain trans fats.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_smrt-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:0cee92b2-a600-4fb9-89bb-8d83f89d0280Post:a739c580-1af0-4fdc-a31a-3f01803da644">Re: SMRT.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SMRT. : I'm sorry, it's not permitted if it's homemade Christ on a Cracker. It might contain trans fats.
    Posted by Butter Cookie[/QUOTE]

<div>THAT'S what "Catholic Foodie" makes, isn't it? Mystery solved!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards