Wedding Woes
Options

House stuff

The loan stuff is all signed.  We have our inspection tomorrow.

Homeowners insurance is going down $95/yr.
Auto insurance down $240/yr.
Cable down $30/mo

That alone more than makes up for the $2k overbudget.

DH and I have a bet on if I can do our grocery any cheaper.  I'm going to win that one.  I'll have 4 stores instead of 2.

Re: House stuff

• Options
    If anyone has a recommendation for room planning websites I'd love it.  I want to try to lay out some rooms before we actually move.
  • Options
    Sounds awesome!  I have no idea about the websites.
  • Options
    Ikea actually used to have a pretty good program for room layouts (free)--you didnt' have to use ikea furniture to use it :)
  • Options
    I'll have to check Ikea. 

We have a showing Sunday too!  Here's hoping we sell soon so we don't have double payments!
  • Options
    Wow.  Sounds like stuff is really falling into place.  And WAHOO for the savings.
  • Options
    I can't fathom moving a house with two kids. I hope you put your feet up at some point.
  • Options
    I'm a nerd so I measure all my furniture and create a basic 2d mockup in AutoCad....because room planning and CAD are seriously two of my favorite things. And I don't care how lame that is.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, my home computer doesn't exactly have Cad on it. 

Min- right now I'm just sort of packing in a completely random way.  We had the playdate yesterday.  Since all of the toys were out anyway I purged the ones they don't play with.  I needed to change M2 into a bigger size so I boxed the old stuff for consignment and packed the summer stuff. 

We'll probably just take the bare minimum with us for now.  Then hire movers for the big move.  No way are we moving that safe ourselves. 
  • Options
    Movers are my new favorite thing. I work hard and dammit, I deserve it! You do too ;)
  • Options

did you keep your furniture size in mind when you bought the new house?

one thing we needed to think about when we moved to TX was the size of the dining room. ours was something like 12x12 in Philly, and we have a big dining room set

a lot of the dining rooms in TX were on the smaller size, so we needed to consider where we would put the buffet or china cabinet, because many wouldn't fit both.

luckily the house we got has a 13x13 dining room, so it worked out well.

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    We did a bit, but we wanted a house more than an old couch.  We don't have a dining room set, just a table.  The new kitchen has a bigger eat-in area so the table will go there.  Our current kitchen table (from Hill's clearance circa 1995) will either be a work table somewhere or go to Goodwill.  We haven't completely figured out the new dining room because it is smaller.  We have a table that would work, but we might opt to have the dining room as a play room for the time being.  Then buy furniture to fit when we can afford it and the kids are bigger.

That's kind of why I want to lay some stuff out.  To see if things need to go.  All of our furniture is in the neutral family and could be mixed and matched pretty easily, but the spaces are just different.
  • Options

we got somewhat lucky that stuff fits in our new house better than the old (although the new is about 500-600sf larger) - but i know what you mean.

i miss Hills. my mom always used to take us there for clothes when we were kids, and we'd be allowed to get soft pretzels and icees if we behaved.

• Options

The new house is a bit smaller, but more functional.  There are a lot of spaces we don't use or rarely use.  Some rooms are smaller, some are larger.

• Options
    Barbie - I'm very jealous of your dining room. I can't wait to get a house so I can actually have dining room furniture.

6 - back to the room organizing question, have you ever used google sketchup? I haven't, but I know my architecture friends like it for room planning, especially since it's free.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want CAD to design such things in...
    For me it's free programs or graph paper and scissors :)
  • Options
    6, that is fantastic!!! I"m excited for you!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Krizzo - that's from our Philly house. i don't have any pictures of the dining room in Houston, but i love that furniture. Dining room in TX is red - it's a pretty color, but we need new window treatments - the ones the old owners left are pretty awful,
  • Options
    Back when we were moving, this was the best tool I could find online for free:

http://jordans.icovia.com/icovia.aspx
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Google sketchup is awesome, but it has a pretty steep learning curve.

Honestly? I'd just use PowerPoint and the drawing tools. I don't know if I'd suggest it to a non-mathy person, but you and your H are both engineers. You can create your own rough scale model. Heck, if you have a floor plan, just scan it in and scale it to a nice, even fraction of the actual size. Then when you know the scale, you can draw your own rectangles to be the furniture.

and I am laughing at your H. Target is a surprisingly great place to get deals on groceries, especially between sales, printable target coupons, and manufacturer coupons. Stretchingabuckblog does a Target coupon matchup every week to point out some of the best deals.

You are totally winning the grocery bet. :)

• Options
    I am so jealous of your move that I could spit.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_house-stuff-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:100fd247-9393-4bef-aec4-f473740d1abbPost:87dda96e-7244-490d-8987-ba972a231174">Re: House stuff</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so jealous of your move that I could spit.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

Me, too, for some reason. And the only thing I don't really like about our house is its geography. And the location of your new house wouldn't be any better.

Maybe it's just the fantasy of doing something new that I am focused on.

• Options
    Shoot DG I didn't even consider Target (7 miles away).  Literally around the corner there is a Kroger, Giant Eagle, Meijer, and Aldi.

We don't have Powerpoint on the home computer either.  I'll have to play around.
  • Options
    Target is really 7 miles away?   If it is, that's a short seven miles and totally worth the trip.

Oh!   And there's also a new GFS near you.   That can save you some money, too.  

Isn't it great to have so many options?   Fun, fun, fun!
  • Options
    I completely forgot about GFS too.  They may have to cater M2's bday this year.  I actually haven't seen the Target.  Mapquest said 7 miles.  I'm so stoked for this move.  It looks like there is so much just in my neighborhood.  The parish also looks pretty active and huge and even if none of that happens there's the ZOO and COSI and the MUSEUM and LIBRARY.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member

hmm. you could download a trial of PPT and uninstall it later. Ditto for any adobe tool like photoshop or photoshop elements, for that matter.

You can also get Open Office products free, period. We did that for a while - sometimes you can't justify a MS Office purchase, but you really do need a word processor or spreadsheet every once in a while.

• Options

Office is a nasty point in our house.  DH could have bought it for $7 at the mill.  He never did.

• Options
    I second the Ikea planning site.  It does work pretty well.

I haven't used Sketchup since it was new.  It really sucked back then.  I have no clue if it's any better.  When we moved into the house, I did layout everything in CAD.  Since I"m a nerd too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_house-stuff-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:100fd247-9393-4bef-aec4-f473740d1abbPost:bc4a886b-6de6-48dd-967f-dba832b23394">Re: House stuff</a>:
    [QUOTE]Office is a nasty point in our house.  DH could have bought it for $7 at the mill.  He never did.
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

Oh, this would make me LIVID!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards