Washington-Seattle
Options

please educate me - re:cardbox

so cardboxes are common in chinese culture because "gifts" are not typical, and envelopes with money are the most common gifts, and you put them in the box....that makes sense to me...

my MOH (not-chinese) getting married in july, says that it's not typical in american families to get money as a gift, and she doesn't really expect it, but she does expect (not in a snooty way) physical gifts off her registry to be given...i can understand that.....

so why are cardboxes common in american culture? i don't understand the concept of separating your card from your physical gift... this is one of those things i never understood, but just went along with.....

so, speaking of beautiful red and brown cardboxes........somebody please tell me what you expect to get inside these boxes!!

TIA :)

TIA!
♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.

Re: please educate me - re:cardbox

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for asking this question.  I have never seen a cardbox at an American wedding.  Or at a Mexican wedding for that matter where money gifts aren't as uncommon as they are here.  (In fact, most people I know ask for money in lieu of gifts, and they do so in the invitation!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some guests send their gifts ahead of time via mail but like to bring something in person so bring just a card. Some guests also do bring a card with money or a check in it. So that's what the card boxes are for. :)  Also, I think there is a larger prevalence of gift cards to stores so there may be a larger percentage of card-cards arriving at weddings. People don't separate the card from the gift if they bring both (how would you know who the present is from?).

So in order for the cards not to get lost on the table, that's why at American weddings you more frequently see something to hold the cards like a basket. Of course, now the wedding industry tells us we need cute boxes/cages/etc.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had never heard of or seen a card box until TK ... but I thought they were mostly functional and existed to prevent guests and/or staff from stealing the cards (since most of them have money in them).

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I started seeing cardboxes in 2007, and I found that the "younger" guests at the wedding tended to purchase wedding cards and insert cash rather than going to get a gift from the registry ahead of time.  So, in this instance, yes, it is a nice place to keep all of the cards together. (I don't think they're intended to actually separate cards from the physical gifts people do bring in, though).

In fact, I can only think of one wedding where I personally took the time to purchase from the registry!  Cash in a card was so much easier, and you don't have to worry about wrapping the gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp.  I think it is for cards w/ money.  I was thinking the box also kept cards safe from theft b/c they usually include money, but I'm just using a beachy wooden basket kind of thing, so hopefully my guests don't steal.  ; )
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only reason I had one was because I heard people stole easy to pick up items sometimes. I figure if it was in a card box... it was impossible to steal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_please-educate-recardbox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:104Discussion:89c3fc08-7382-4226-81b4-7b1f549ead4ePost:24035e00-a8c3-459e-97ec-7a7e7a508506">Re: please educate me - re:cardbox</a>:
    [QUOTE]I started seeing cardboxes in 2007, and I found that the "younger" guests at the wedding tended to purchase wedding cards and insert cash rather than going to get a gift from the registry ahead of time.  So, in this instance, yes, it is a nice place to keep all of the cards together. (I don't think they're intended to actually separate cards from the physical gifts people do bring in, though). In fact, I can only think of one wedding where I personally took the time to purchase from the registry!  Cash in a card was so much easier, and you don't have to worry about wrapping the gift.
    Posted by enlightened1[/QUOTE]

This... I am starting to see them more and more now. I am also seeing at more weddings people just giving a card/with cash or a check in lieu of a physical gift. At our wedding we got Far more cards with money/gift cards than physical presents, so I was happy I had a card box to keep it all organized.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It really blows me away that anyone would steal from the bride and groom at a wedding.  Presumably these are your friends and family...
  • Options
    edited December 2011

the card box is definitely for cards with money.. not to separate your card from your gift. it is just a safe place for all the money so they aren't misplaced.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    MrsH8172010MrsH8172010 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pps. It's so that cards with money don't get stolen.

I'm not sure about traditionally in culture. But I think it's probably half and half and based on guests personal preference. Some like to physically give you a gift off your registry and some just like to write you a check so you can get what you want.

I think that is why people have both, just so that people who do give money instead of gift have a safe place to put it where they can ensure it gets to you.
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please educate ME---where does one buy a card box? I was just going to get a basket of some kind and put a sign on it for cards.  Is this okay?
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I disagree that it's not an "American" thing--it totally depends on region. In NJ/NYC, 99% of gifts are cash/checks. No matter what your ethnicity. (Although Italian people usually give money anyway, and there's obviously a large Italian population in the area.) But I know in parts of CT (just to pick somewhere in the tristate area), they do physical gifts sent to the couple ahead of the wedding. (One of my BMs did this as it was the norm for her, and I think she was surprised when she asked others what they had gotten us.)

The only time people really get gifts in NJ is if their family is from other areas in the country (and so that is the norm for them) or if they/their family is uber wealthy (because if you and your guests are multi-millionaires, money doesn't have the same sort of significance as a gift--they have $$, but they might not buy themselves crystal, silver and the like).

But if money isn't a normal gift in WA, I don't know why people get a card box? Maybe just to make sure the cards they do receive are kept together and not misplaced or taken?
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_please-educate-recardbox?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:89c3fc08-7382-4226-81b4-7b1f549ead4ePost:ee583817-8f58-4c2a-ad02-a8623c9b6eb7">Re: please educate me - re:cardbox</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please educate ME---where does one buy a card box? I was just going to get a basket of some kind and put a sign on it for cards.  Is this okay?
    Posted by mergator[/QUOTE]

It's probably fine? I got one with a lock because I know of too many people who've had cards stolen by employees of the venue or guests (e.g., someone's date). I think it even happens more than people find out about, because if someone reaches in and grabs a few cards and pulls out the cash, the bride and groom are just going to think those people didn't give them a gift. I always write checks for just that reason (or the risk of cards being legitimately misplaced).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I liked the idea and saw it on TK! I made mine but I have heard you can order them onlibe or get one of esty.com. I just wanted a cute personalized DIY project that was cheap and could be functional. My cousin actually got a lot of money stolen from their wedding and they were in a church:(
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In our families, monetary gifts aren't that common, and I don't know that I've ever seen a cardbox at a wedding.  I'd never heard of them until TK.

Needless to say, I'm not doing one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards