Wedding Woes
Options

re: no shoes

When I was out buying Dex's clothes on Friday evening, I saw a woman IN THE MALL wearing a very nice outfit and pantyhose (or knee-highs. I could only see her feet.) and NO SHOES.  It wasn't even like she was carrying them and they had a broken heel or soemthing. She just didn't have shoes.And she was buying clothes for her (maybe 6 or 7yo?) daughter at Children's Place - which, while not super fancy, is not all that cheap, either.  I *really* wanted to take a picture for you guys, but it all happened so fast, and I totally would have gotten caught.There may have been a cultural issue at play, but I couldn't think of any cultures that don't allow women to wear shoes but *do* allow them to wear pants and (apparently) drive on their own and go shopping/out into society unattended. I mean, don't they even wear shoes under their burkhas? 

Re: re: no shoes

• Options
    Did I phrase poorly again?  I was trying to determine if there was perhaps a legitimate reason this woman was shoeless.  As in I wouldn't give a side-eye to someone in a religiously-mandated head scarf, even though that isn't really SOP in suburban STL.

• Options
    DG, they wear regular clothing and shoe apparel under burkas.  It's just a covering to hide them from unfit eyes in public.  Some women don't wear it at the house.There's "I don't know anything about your culture" and then there's just remaining willfully ignorant ABOUT other cultures.  Hell, google could've given you information on burkas, but instead you actually thought out loud, "Do they wear shoes?".  WTF would they NOT wear shoes?!?  You are walking a fine damn line.  This is akin to, "Can I touch your hair?"  The issue is you don't have this question and think, maybe I can find the answer on my own.  You just ask it.  Sometimes a question IS bad.
  • Options
    varuna, you missed my point entirely.  and i don't think it's a bad thing OR it's remaining ignorant to ask if women wear shoes under burqas.  the question is asked, and i think it's a legit one.  if you don't know, you ask.  and google may not always be right -- yes, shocker, everything on the internet isn't necessarily true.i won't even go into your great sociological leap into "can i touch your hair?"my issue -- and this is not dg's alone, obviously -- is seeing something different and attributing it to someone's culture, rather than that person just being a damn weirdo.
  • Options
    I didn't miss your point, HMo.  I thought your point was fine.  But, DG's post didn't have anything that referenced this woman being a minority, DG made an assumption that since she didn't have shoes, which was weird, maybe she was different and not DG understood.I think DG's question is just plain dumb.  Do they wear shoes under their burkas?  I mean, why wouldn't they wear shoes under their burkas, they're still walking, right?  There's not that much inherently different about the levels of civilization in Muslim majority countries: they drive, they wear shoes, they flat iron their hair, they wear makeup, and even have plastic surgery.  This is just another example of simply not bothering to expand a boxed in point of view.
  • Options
    i didn't realize that dg was required to explicitly state the type of garments people are wearing before asking a question, as well as rate them on a swarthiness scale, and then have to consider whether she should be allowed to ask a question.dg's question may have been dumb, but at least she asked.  geniunely not knowing something does not make you dumb.
  • Options
    And I simply disagree.  There are bad questions out there.  This is one of them.
  • Options
    V, remind me again why you don't have me on ignore?And this woman was not wearing a burkha. She was wearing a pantsuit.  I guess my question was "is she BSC, or could there be a cultural explanation to why she wasn't wearing shoes?" I had no clue what ethnicity she actually was, though I could have guessed several she probably wasn't.I remember when I lived half a block down from a Jewish temple. One day, everyone was walking around in suits and sneakers.  So I asked one of them, and he explained that for this particular occasion (IDK if I'd call it a "holiday." maybe the equivalent of a Feast Day in Catholicism?) they weren't allowed to wear any shoes with leather in them.  I had no idea there was a "no leather shoes" Jewish custom for this particular day/holiday/whatever. I was wondering if there was something similar that I didn't know about that might explain this woman's lack of shoes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards