Wedding Woes
Options

disability

i think less of people who are "on disability."  most of the people i have met who are on disability appear to be completely normal, functioning human beings who are milking the system due to trauma endured when they got a papercut at work or some nonsense.  psychological trauma, i get. clearly, you can't see that.  and if you say you have ptsd from seeing milo getting sucked into the grain mill, fine.  i feel bad for you, i really do.but when you say, "i am on disability because of my foot", and i look down and see a normal foot in a skecher instead of a wooden pegleg, i think you are an idiot.

Re: disability

• Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    I had an aunt by marriage who went on disability b/c she was an alcoholic.  I can't really describe to you the feelings I had on that b/c it was a mishmash of very black, dark and bad feelings.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or hey, I'm on disability?O Rly?  You mean the disability you obtained from drug use?  Weird.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love when Judge Judy attacks people on disability. I hate when people that really should be one it, can't seem to get it. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Exactly.  We had an old employee that was told by her doctor that she could no longer work due to extending health problems.  She had to appeal and appeal and appeal to get disability.  It was nuts.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about the obesce, housebound people, hmo?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Friends' son dated a girl whose parents were both on state disability and had a permit to grow medical marijuana to treat their "conditions". That's how they supplemented their income. GF spoke/bragged that she could go to college for free because of her parents disability status. Andplusalso, she has an older brother on disability.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the housebound obese get a pass.  truly, they are special angels sent to bless us all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And yet another program that will continue to be milked and never end.::gets off soapbox::
  • Options
    fishgirl77fishgirl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How do these people get on disability?  H hasn't gotten out of bed today because he's having a really bad chronic fatigue day.  And we haven't even tried to get him any level of disability because we know we'll go through at least a year of appeals.  He might as well get what work he can when he's feeling good.
  • Options
    jessjo04jessjo04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    C'mon guys, there's probably at least one housebound obese person lurking now. HI obese lurker!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    O-face, there are ALWAYS going to be people scamming the system, b/c that's how people are.  But if I can get at least a 1:1 ratio, I'm good with that and I'm pretty sure we do.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You really think it's 1:1? Hmmm. I guess I'm a skeptic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Though MrsConn just illustrated that very well.
  • Options
    fishgirl77fishgirl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the pool of people matters.  I mean, people like mrs.conn's friend will continue to work until they literally can't because that's what responsible people do.  And they may be less tolerant of all the hoops you have to jump through to get disability and just go back to work.  People who are determined to play the system are going to do it no matter how many hoops you put in front of them.That's depressing...I'm going back to the puppy pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a sibling that I refuse to be associated with. She's been riding the disability train for at least 10 years, and there's nothing wrong with her. She had a boyfriend who "taught" her how to cheat the system. ("taught" is her term)
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    edited December 2011
    In all honesty, I think it's probably a better ratio than 1:1.People truly living with disability or on some other social service net, using the system how it's meant to be?  Not an interesting or inspiring of any emotion besides thankfulness it's not YOU.People screwing the American taxpayer and social net system over?  HOT POTATO of a news story.In the 80s, my stepmother had me, my half brother, and her natural daughter (my father left me with her) and worked at Wendy's and cleaned houses, while I babysat.  We were on food stamps and other assistance.  She eventually managed to just do Wendy's when she got on management and went through school with help.  As far as I know, she was able to get on her own two feet about 2 years after my grandparents took me in.^not interesting story for America.Welfare queens?  Leads the nightly news.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister is on disability for being obese. She actually tried to put on weight to get on it, and when she did they sent her a huge check for back disability (since she's been morbidly obese her whole life) which she promptly turned around and spent on a new, expensive car. A fecking car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards