Wedding Woes
Options

Our Wedding Date

So I just have to vent about our wedding date and reception hall.  My FI and I live in a smaller community, so there are not a lot of options when it comes to a reception hall.  We have around three places to choose from and they get booked up very quickly.  So when we got engaged we decided to get a date set and book a reception hall as soon as we could.  Well after being on the phone for 3 days, the only date that the church and any of the three halls were availabe on was Nov. 19, 2011.  If we didn't take this date we would have to wait until March of 2012 or later and we really didn't want to do that.  So after talking with my FI, I booked the church and reception hall for Nov. 19. Now we are catching all kinds of you know what because that is the first weekend of deer hunting season (we live in a rural community that has alot of deer hunters).  None of our immediate family and just a few of our friends actually deer hunt.  To top it off my FFIL, made the comment to my FI that I was getting a little fancy on them by booking the nicest hall (which my parents paid for). 

I'm just a little frustrated at this point and I'm really hoping that planning a wedding gets a little better than the last week has been. 

Re: Our Wedding Date

• Options
    Well, it certainly lets you know where you stand when your friends pick deer hunting over your wedding. I would say whoever doesn't show up is no big loss.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wedding-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:12c48960-3660-4a60-8443-12382994a9f6Post:12b1e185-7257-431e-bfe3-681ad3436508">Re: Our Wedding Date</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, it certainly lets you know where you stand when your friends pick deer hunting over your wedding.<strong> I would say whoever doesn't show up is no big loss.</strong>
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

I second this!

Reminds me of what people said about my wedding date - July 1, the Friday night of the long 4th of July weekend.  I have people ticked b/c they are usually hitting their beach house that Friday night - they do it "every year".  So I said, fine, if you can't postpone the vacation you take every year one day, you don't have to come! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I know how you feel. My dad (an avid deer hunter) often chose hunting over the short amount of time we had together on weekends. I usually only saw him before and during church on Sundays - but there's nothing you can do about it besides be gracious. If they don't come it's their problem.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm sorry and I understand how deer hunting can take over a community.  Like Duckis said, the people you really treasure will be there.  Other people will  always find something to bitch about. 

The only issue I can possibly see- Deer Season is the most requested vacation week for DH's work.  IF people needed to request off work for the wedding that may be an issue.
  • Options
    You know, deer season irks me.  I've seriously had people who were in need of close-to-emergency medical treatment, refuse to come in b/c of deer season.  Hey, guess what IT COMES EVERY YEAR and IT'S NOT JUST ONE DANGED DAY!!!

I'm with everyone else, but 6 brings up a valid concern too.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I was so frustrated and sick of everyone saying "you know its deer season".  I just told my FI last night that I wasn't going be crushed if someone decided to go deer hunting instead of coming to our reception!

As for usual weddings around here, I'm not really sure how to describe them.  We live in a very rural area.  As my mom said jokingly "we are not going to have a hick wedding".  Our wedding is not going to be over the top, but it will definitely be considered fancy by area wedding standards. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards