July 2012 Weddings
Options

Airfare needs to DROP!

Or else FI and I are going to be sitting at one expensive dinner for two!

I've been watching Jackson Hole flights for various guests around the US for about 4 months now.  They have consitently hovered in the $550-650 range.  Per person.  OUCH!

I asked on a WY forum what's a "good price" for tickets to JAC.  Because I fly the SLC-ORD route often and I can tell you what a deal is.  Anything under $400 would be a deal for Jackson Hole they agreed.

I submitted a proposal with American Airlines.  They offer 5% off airfare for weddings, but only 7 days prior and 7 days after the wedding.  It's all I could find.

There is an airport 80 miles away in Idaho but it's not too much cheaper.

I just hope they lower eventually!Cry

Re: Airfare needs to DROP!

• Options
    Ugh this is my current issue as well! I've been stalking prices for round trip to Maui and they just went up AGAIN. $498 to $610. This is the highest they've been and I'm kicking myself for not jumping on $498. And to think I was considering flying first class for our flight out there. Doesn't look too likely now. 

Have you tried bing travel? It has a feature where it can predict if prices will continue to rise or drop. I think it might be for only major travel cities, but it's worth a looksy. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know. I so agree. We've been looking for our tickets for our honeymoon and just hoping that the prices go down. I don't want to pay an additional $1000 for airfare on top of $2600 for the AI resort.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    Are you concerned about your guests mostly? It'll suck, but there will definitely be people who can't afford that.

For the record, same with ours, actually. A lot of people are coming from Colorado, Florida and Ohio and the flights are like $400 to start. I feel bad because it's a lot of my fiance's family and friends from Cincinnati, but there's nothing we can do about it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_airfare-needs-to-drop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:555c3be8-4172-4c10-a8f4-abe1b8e0527fPost:14c0bb63-cf5b-4634-b9c1-04d9274fd166">Re: Airfare needs to DROP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you concerned about your guests mostly? It'll suck, but there will definitely be people who can't afford that. For the record, same with ours, actually. A lot of people are coming from Colorado, Florida and Ohio and the flights are like $400 to start. I feel bad because it's a lot of my fiance's family and friends from Cincinnati, but there's nothing we can do about it!
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

Yes, for the guests' flights.  It's only a 4 hour drive for us so we don't have to buy tickets for anything.   My family is in the midwest, his are in OR.  Then friends from every corner of the country.  FI's parents are going to RV it, so I know they will come.  Friends are scattered everywhere.  Only 2 families from our town are invited - that's how many of our friends have left!

My sister, her kids, my mom if she goes - they all want to fly into SLC which is much cheaper and then stay at my house before and after the wedding.  I said yes to before the wedding but no to after the wedding.  We have the space for them, but I might not have the sanity!

Hey that Bing Travel thing is new to me!  It say wait for fares to drop, 75% confidence.
  • Options
    I realize I read your original post wrong, you meant airfare for your guests! Have they considered driving in a group? It might be a long-shot, but my FI has 6 of his family members driving here from Denver together for our wedding. 

Shatzi-I live in San Francisco and advise all my friends and family to fly into Oakland (OAK) or San Jose (SJC). It can literally save you hundreds and they're actually easier to get in and out of IMO.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_airfare-needs-to-drop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:555c3be8-4172-4c10-a8f4-abe1b8e0527fPost:b025c0d8-a1d0-41d5-844d-361820390044">Re: Airfare needs to DROP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having the same issue. My mom recently priced out their travel. For a flight that normally costs me for [medium-sized airport] to SAN $200-250, she's finding [same airport] to SFO $300-350 for July. What? It's closer and there are more flights every day. At this rate, it'll almost be half the price as for FI's family coming from Europe. Grr.
    Posted by Schatzi13[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, try OAK or San Jose.  I recently flew to OAK and took the BART transit in to San Fran with luggage and everything.  It was very easy and I am not a city girl at all.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_airfare-needs-to-drop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:555c3be8-4172-4c10-a8f4-abe1b8e0527fPost:ca29ba2c-b86f-48c8-9a85-63cf87d00197">Re: Airfare needs to DROP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I realize I read your original post wrong, you meant airfare for your guests! Have they considered driving in a group? It might be a long-shot, but my FI has 6 of his family members driving here from Denver together for our wedding.
    Posted by MeaganR12[/QUOTE]

FI's mom and dad are RVing it with FI's sister and two kids. That's 15 hours.

Most other people are couples from all over the US.  One family from Tuscon will be driving 19 hours but they are the only people in AZ.  I will have so many people meeting each other for the first time.  s c a t t e r e d !

The only actual group would be my sisters/their fmailies from Chicago and my mom.  One sister won't have many days off so she'd rather not drive.  The other sister/her kids and my mom don't have their act together enough to know what they are doing, plus my mom can't stand my sister's boyfriend and would not travel with him.  HA!
  • Options
    I second looking at kayak for flights.  It searches all sights including those airlines that aren't on Expedia/Orbitz, there are a couple that won't allow those websites to have access to their flights.  I also think the flights will go down in the next month or so, I usually find about 3-4 months out is the best deal time to get flights usually.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Had the same issue for uor honeymoon. July is just so expensive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ugh I know!! We booked our flight back in September for our honeymoon and we haven't looked back ever since. The price was $410 per person and I was hitting myself when it dropped about $60 a week after. It's up to $540 now though!

Airline prices are so unpredictable and expensive now. I hope your guests nab a good deal!
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What about flying into SLC and taking the bus shuttle into JH?  It's definitely not ideal, but it could save them a lot of money.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_airfare-needs-to-drop?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:555c3be8-4172-4c10-a8f4-abe1b8e0527fPost:59ef9b37-d621-443a-bebd-384af0514039">Re: Airfare needs to DROP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about flying into SLC and taking the bus shuttle into JH?  It's definitely not ideal, but it could save them a lot of money.
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

I have all that info on my wedding website.  The alternative airports, along with prices using various airport shuttles. 

However, if you flew in to SLC you have to land before noon because that's when the 6 hours shuttle to Jackson leaves.  It's doable, just depends  on how much running around you want to do in one day, and how cheap you can get your ticket to SLC as a shuttle ticket is $138 roundtrip. 

At the price today on Delta, it's the same price flying right into Jackson from Boston for example.

Allegiant Air has really cheap tickets from Vegas to Idaho Falls 80 miles away.  Sometimes airports have specials to Vegas, especially in July when it's hotter than Hades and try to lure people in with cheap tickets.  All that is on my site too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards