Wedding Woes
Options

How did they not notice this in the interview?

Dear Prudence,
Is it OK for an adult to suck her thumb at work? I work for a small company and the new receptionist, an attractive, bright woman of about 20, sucks her thumb almost continuously when she's not talking. When I come out to meet my clients, there she is sucking her thumb in front of them. Her direct supervisor sits close to her and would have to be blind not to notice. I’ve almost said, “Stop sucking your thumb!” but I haven’t. I'm a go-along-to-get-along type of guy, but this embarrasses me for her, my clients, and the business. What should I do?

—Not a Sucker

Re: How did they not notice this in the interview?

• Options
    maybe she has a "disability" / "medical disorder", and it would have been "discrimination" not to hire her, no matter how ridiculous she looks.
  • Options
    Probably because she was talking?  I don't understand how this looks poorly on the write though.  He's not sucking she is.
  • Options
    If my receptionist was sucking his/her thumb, it would look bad on all of us here.  I would keep interviewing.  Such behavior, legal or not, would be disqualifying.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Maybe the interviewer's eyes never made it that far north.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_did-not-notice-this-interview?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:25614ebf-47f2-4ec3-9f9f-253417e5f678Post:3dcff08b-4693-4c59-a7d9-57562a17ac00">Re: How did they not notice this in the interview?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe the interviewer's eyes never made it that far north.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    I'm with Nicole.  That would look bad for the entire company.  The receptionist is often the first thing you see as you walk into the building and first impressions are made.

Also, if I was a customer and saw this, I'd switch to a different company.  I'd wonder WTF was wrong with the people who thought this was acceptable work behavior and I wouldn't want her touching my stuff, getting her mouth herpes all over it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards