Wedding Woes

wwyd?

Dear Amy: For several years I was very close to someone who made it clear that her technique to becoming rich was to marry wealthy, and then, after a few years, obtain a divorce.

She also made it clear that she was completely serious in this ambition. For obvious reasons, I have distanced myself from this person; however, we still occasionally contact each other.

The last time we talked, I found out that she had become engaged. Guess what — the fiance has a lucrative job and belongs to a wealthy family.

I'm wondering if I have any responsibility to inform the man of his future wife's intentions. I have no doubt that she will carry out her plan. I know it would be smart to stay out of this, but if I were the man, I would certainly want to be informed of any impending disaster.

Your thoughts?

Re: wwyd?

• eh. he's a grown-up (i hope). He gets to make his own mistakes.

If the LW is actually friends with the groom-to-be, I change my answer.

• I would say stay out of it.  This guy isn't going to believe some crazy stranger and it doesn't seem like they're friends anymore anyway.
  • ditto DG

And...note to self:  Do not tell friends about secret plans, or at least not friends with a moral compass.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• What did Amy say?  She'll still never hold a candle to carolyn hax, but I am beginning to warm up to her a little.

• Stay out of it.  If his family is really that wealthy I bet there is a prenup.
  • Dear Former: Unless there is a health issue involved, you do not have a responsibility to report this. You don't know this man, nor do you have any recent evidence about your former friend's devious master plan.

Furthermore, despite what you say, I can't imagine that if you were in this man's well-heeled shoes you would actually welcome being informed of this impending disaster.

Examine your motivations carefully and know that there is a high likelihood that as the messenger of this bad news, you will be blamed and judged for malicious interference.

• Seriously? All he has to do is NOT grant her the divorce if that day ever came. Unless he's abusing her, no court of law will grant a divorce if both parties don't agree to it. It'll be tough luck for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards