Wedding Woes

Oh hell no. WWWWD?

The item that sold me on the new house was the gigantic granite island in the kitchen.

One corner had been cut or something and then put back on and sealed. You could barely tell. I noticed when we looked at the house but it was put back on so well and I didn't think I could bitch enough to get it fixed so I didn't say anything.

Day of closing the builder says he just noticed and told granite contractor that they would have to replace the entire thing.

I asked if it would match the countertops. He said yes, as close as possible, it shouldn't be hard to match.

So last Tuesday they replaced it. It's way more gold than the countertops, the pattern is bigger and it's smaller. Visibly smaller. At least 3 inches all the way around. It fcking infuriates me every time I go into the kitchen. 

I talked to the builders agent about it Saturday and told her I would just rather have the original back. Today she tells me that the piece was not saved.

I responded that one of 2 things need to happen.

1- find a piece that is the same size as the other that matches the counters and replace it

OR 

2- find a piece that is the same size as the other that doesn't match and replace all of the counters to match.

That is not what we purchased and we shouldn't have to settle on the biggest item in the kitchen (whole house, IMO) because of shoddy work on their subcontractors part.

I am waiting for a response but I'm scared that they can/will be like "Oh well, you bought the house already"

Re: Oh hell no. WWWWD?

• **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  You have every right to be upset.

They probably just used some piece of scrap to fulfill the new island.  That would be my assumption.  Because if they kitchen isn't really that old, there should be a piece to match your original countertops.

Sounds like someone got lazy and cheap.
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you, they need find a replacement piece that matches the original or replace it all.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_oh-hell-wwwwd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2938ba8a-e54a-4d88-b1e4-b3a4ce60133cPost:81f713fc-accb-4047-a6aa-b0205c0cf7d2">Re: Oh hell no. WWWWD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No.  You have every right to be upset. They probably just used some piece of scrap to fulfill the new island.  That would be my assumption.  Because if they kitchen isn't really that old, there should be a piece to match your original countertops. Sounds like someone got lazy and cheap.
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The house was built in... December I think? 

</div>
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    edited December 2011
    Dang.  They should be able to find something that is an exact match, unless of course it was one of those "we have this much, then we're out...give it to you at a discount" sort of deals. 

Either way, you should get what you want. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    They need to take care of that.  I hope they don't try to give you a hard time.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The size would bother me more than a small pattern difference, so I would be asking for a correction.

It makes me sad that they just threw out a giant piece of granite because of a flaw that some people wouldn't care about.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    they either threw it out or re-cut it and sold it to someone else.  but YES SIZE MATTERS.  escalate if you have to, BUT THIS WILL NOT STAND.
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I would tell them they have to replace all the countertops. Obviously, if you were satisfied with it before and the builder wanted it improved then he cares about the quality of his subs' work. I would escalate to the builder.
  • *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The builder is who I am dealing with. When I called the first time he told me it was a good match, he thought and to give it a few days. I did, and I hate it.

I think that they used the smaller piece elsewhere, probably another place that it didn't match, since they are so good at that.

The size is what bothers me the most. I mean, WTF.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards